News
Eight SriLankan Catering employees infected with COVID-18
SriLankan Catering on Thursday night confirmed that eight of their employees at the Bandaranaike International Airport had tested positive for COVID-19.
The company said, in a statement, that one staff member tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, and seven other cases were identified thereafter.
Those who worked with those who had tested positive have been subjected to PCR tests.
“SriLankan Catering follows international guidelines and procedures for the hygienic production of food for in-flight and general consumption to ensure the highest food safety and quality standards are maintained and adhered to during the ongoing global pandemic. SriLankan Catering has taken every step to protect the workforce as per government COVID-19 healthcare guidelines to prevent the spread of the virus within the organisation and continues to work closely with health and other government agencies,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, another employee engaged in cleaning at the BIA had been admitted to the Wathupitiwala Hospital yesterday morning after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
The 47-year-old employee is a resident of Arachchikattuwa, Chilaw. Ten of her colleagues were asked to self-quarantine, after they had been subject to PCR tests.
Latest News
President inquires into the well-being of soldiers at the Ragama “Ranaviru Sevana”
President Anura Kumara Dissanayake visited the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre in Ragama this morning (19) and inquired into the well-being of military personnel receiving residential treatment there.
During the visit, the President engaged in cordial discussions with the soldiers and commended the sacrifices made by all of them in safeguarding the unity of the motherland.
Thereafter, President Dissanayake also held discussions with the medical staff, including doctors serving at the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre, and looked into the possibility of further improving medical and other welfare facilities available for the military personnel undergoing treatment.
Minister of Science and Technology Professor Chrishantha Abeysena, Deputy Minister of Labour Mahinda Jayasinghe, Secretary to the Ministry of Defence Air Vice Marshal Sampath Thuyacontha (Retired), Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Lasantha Rodrigo, Director of Ranaviru Services and Rehabilitation of the Sri Lanka Army Brigadier R.G.L.K. Weerakoon, and Chairman of the Ranaviru Seva Authority Brigadier Senarath Kohona (Retired) were among those who attended the occasion.
(PMD)
News
Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands
An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.
Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.
Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.
Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.
Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)
News
Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism
In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.
The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.
Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.
-
Features3 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
News4 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News3 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Midweek Review7 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News3 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Opinion6 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features5 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
