Connect with us

News

‘Easter Sunday carnage grand conspiracy’: SC assured ex-AG won’t be arrested

Published

on

Dappula de Livera

Attorney General Sanjay Rajaratnam, PC, yesterday (22) assured the Supreme Court that former AG Dappula de Livera, PC, wouldn’t be arrested over his controversial assessment pertaining to the 2019 Easter Sunday terror attacks. This assurance was given when a petition filed by the former AG Livera was taken up before the court yesterday morning

De Livera was summoned before the Terrorist Investigation Division (TID) on several occasions, to record a statement on his controversial statement pertaining to an alleged conspiracy behind the Easter Sunday attacks.

The former AG filed a petition on 24 April, asserting that the police were not authorised to question his actions during his tenure as the AG. Such treatment would affect his privileges as an ex-Attorney General, he added. Therefore, the former AG sought an order through the petition, preventing the TID from arresting and recording statements from him.

De Livera is on record as having said that there was a grand conspiracy behind the series of bomb attacks that took place on 21 April 2019, killing 269 persons and injuring over 500 others.



News

Over 280,000 arrested as huge stock of drugs seized in 2025: Wijepala

Published

on

Public Security Minister Ananda Wijepala yesterday told Parliament that authorities have seized substantial quantities of narcotics so far in 2025 and arrested more than 280,000 suspects over drug-related offences.

Presenting figures from 01 January, 2025, the Minister said 2,020 kilograms of heroin, 4,013 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine (ICE), 15,564 kilos of cannabis and 43.3 kilos of cocaine had been taken into custody.

He added that 4.8 million narcotic pills and 2.1 million illicit cigarettes were also seized during the same period.

According to the Minister, a total of 281,320 suspects were arrested in connection with narcotics-related offences.

Drawing a comparison with 2024, he said heroin seizures had increased from 832 kilos last year to 1,826 kilos this year — a rise of nearly 1,000 kilos.

Seizures of other drugs had also shown an increase in 2025, with 3,865 kilos of ICE and 17,189 kilos of cannabis detected, compared to the previous year, he said.

By Saman Indrajith

Continue Reading

News

Special PSC appointed to recommend electoral system to conduct PC polls

Published

on

An 11-member Special Parliamentary Select Committee has been appointed to examine the electoral system under which Provincial Council elections should be conducted and to submit proposals and recommendations to Parliament.

Speaker Jagath Wickramaratne announced in the House yesterday (20) that the Committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of Minister Vijitha Herath.

The Committee has been tasked with investigating the most suitable electoral framework for Provincial Council polls and reporting its findings, with relevant recommendations.

The members appointed to serve on the Committee are Muneer Mulaffer, Attorney-at-Law Sunil Watagala, Arun Hemachandra, Ranjith Madduma Bandara, Mano Ganesan, Lakshman Nipuna Arachchi, Shanakiyan Rajaputhiran Rasamanickam, Samanmalee Gunasinghe, Darmapriya Wijesinghe, Chandana Sooriyaarachchi and Nizam Kariapper.

The Speaker said the Committee will commence its deliberations shortly.

Continue Reading

News

Empowering women journalists for Gender-sensitive Disaster Reporting

Published

on

Capacity-building workshop on ‘Gender-sensitive Disaster Reporting’

South Asian women in Media-Sri Lanka, together with Sri Lanka Press Institute and UNDP in Sri Lanka, bring together women journalists

South Asian Women in Media-Sri Lanka (SAWM-SL) successfully conducted a comprehensive capacity-building workshop on ‘Gender-sensitive Disaster Reporting’ on 17 February, bringing together a select group of 25 journalists from print, broadcast and digital media platforms.

Held in collaboration with the Sri Lanka Press Institute, and technical partner, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Sri Lanka, with support from Duryog Nivaran, the workshop sought to strengthen gender perspectives in post-disaster media coverage, following Cyclone Ditwah, promoting ethical, inclusive and socially accountable journalism in disaster contexts, in line with the priorities of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015–2030).

The workshop featured a comprehensive and multidisciplinary agenda, with expert-led sessions on disaster risk reduction, lived experiences in post-disaster contexts and gender-sensitive journalism. Presentations were delivered by Madhavi Ariyabandu of Duryog Nivaran, Kumudini Samuel of the Women and Media Collective, and award-winning investigative journalist Dilrukshi Handunnetti, Trustee of South Asian Women in Media and Director of the Centre for Investigative Reporting Sri Lanka.

The speakers underscored the vital role of the media in disaster risk governance, highlighting the need to recognise and address the structural vulnerabilities faced by women, girls, persons with disabilities, the elderly and other marginalised communities during times of crisis. Through interactive discussions and practical exercises, participants explored the importance of moving beyond event-driven coverage to examine the root causes of inequality and how they shape disaster preparedness, emergency response and long-term recovery efforts.

A documentary, titled ‘Facing Disasters, Making Decisions: Gender Dimensions’, produced in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, highlighted how women’s voices and needs were frequently overlooked in post-tsunami recovery and reconstruction processes. Participants reflected on the striking parallels between the issues documented two decades ago and the persistent gaps evident in current disaster responses, underscoring the continuing challenge of ensuring gender-inclusive recovery frameworks.

Throughout the workshop, participants explored gender-sensitive approaches to disaster reporting, ethical considerations, inclusive storytelling techniques, and practical steps to strengthen future coverage. Case studies, group work and participatory dialogue enabled participants to develop story ideas that foreground women’s leadership and community resilience.

SAWM-SL, with a 16-year history of advancing women in media, reiterated its commitment to supporting the media sector in building a more just, inclusive, and resilient Sri Lanka.

Continue Reading

Trending