Connect with us

News

Corona second wave:

Published

on

JHU questions delay in AG ordered probe

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The government owed an explanation as regards the inordinate delay in ascertaining the circumstances that led to the explosive spread of COVID-19 in the second week of October, JHU spokesman Nishantha Sri Warnasinghe told The Island yesterday (13).

The former Western Province PC member pointed out that specific instructions had been issued to police headquarters by no less a person than Attorney General Dappula de Livera, PC, in that regard two weeks ago, had been ignored.

Warnasinghe said that Premier Mahinda Rajapaksa’s revelations in Parliament on Thursday (12) as regards massive public expenditure caused by the ongoing second wave underscored the pivotal importance of establishing accountability.

Warnasinghe issuing a statement on behalf of civil society group ‘People Awareness Council’ questioned how AG’s directive issued on Oct 27 pertaining to high profile investigations into negligence on the part of Brandix and officials and subsequent instructions were ignored. Warnasinghe said that the AG sought inquiry to establish whether violations should be dealt with criminal law or Quarantine law governed under Quarantine and Prevention of Diseases Ordinance.

Brandix management has repeatedly assured their readiness to cooperate with investigations when The Island raised the issue with them on more than one occasion.

Responding to The Island queries, Warnasinghe emphasized that the AG’s Department, too, owed an explanation especially as the probe was initiated by the department. Warnasinghe asked whether Police headquarters complied with AG’s instructions to submit a list of police officers assigned to conduct the investigation to him. The AG also wanted to address the team ahead of the inquiry, Warnasinghe said.

The JHU spokesman asked whether the police received instructions from the AG in that regard.

Warnasinghe said that the national economy was rapidly deteriorating as a result of the second wave. The parliament should be told of the actual situation, Warnasinghe said, pointing out the AG must have had sound basis to call for an investigation.

Warnasinghe said that the AG went to the extent of directing Police Headquarters to take the investigation out of the Colombo Crime Division (CCD) badly depleted as a result of corona-virus infections and hand it over to a specially chosen team.

Warnasinghe said that the public were naturally suspicious of the way those responsible handled the investigations. He said that the Health Minister, Epidemiology Unit head and the Secretary to the Health Ministry, too, should explain the status of the investigation. Warnasinghe said that the media should raise questions from relevant civil and military/police authorities without beating around the bush.

Warnasinghe said that the crisis triggered by Peliyagoda cluster quickly overshadowed over 1,000 infections caused among Brandix workers attached to its Munuwangoda apparel manufacturing facility. The second wave so far caused over 15,000 infections, nearly 50 deaths, the political furore over Muslims’ demand to allow burial of corona dead and debilitating setback to the national economy, Warnasinghe said.

The economy that had been weakened by years of mismanagement, waste, corruption and irregularities was in the intensive care unit, Warnasinghe said. The JHU official said that a despicable bid was made recently to blame the corona second wave on the arrival of two groups of Ukrainians, one crew of a private cargo airline and the second here on the invitation of Sri Lanka Air Force. Thanks to the management of Ramada, Seeduwa where the cargo crew stayed and the Air Force swiftly issuing contradictions that bid failed, Warnasinghe said, alleging that the government was answerable to the people.

It would be a grave mistake on their part to believe the truth could be suppressed by propagating lies and causing diversions, Warnasinghe said. The JHU spokesman asked whether the State Intelligence Services and Directorate of Military Intelligence were capable of tracking down Prabhakaran’s successor, Kumaran Pathmanathan aka ‘KP’ couldn’t ascertain the October eruption. Warnasinghe said at the onset various interested parties blamed it on 39-year-old Brandix employee.

Subsequently, both Lt. Gen. Shavendra Silva, head of the Covid Task Force and head of the Epidemiology Unit Dr Sudath Samaraweera cleared her.

Warnasinghe asked whether the AG received progress report as asked within two weeks after issuance of instructions. Obviously ‘One Country, One Law’ seemed irrelevant, the former PC member said.



News

INS Sahyadri arrives at Port of Colombo

Published

on

By

The Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sahyadri arrived at the Port of Colombo on a formal visit on Friday [04 Apr 25]. The visiting ship was welcomed by the Sri Lanka Navy in compliance with naval traditions.

INS Sahyadri is a 143m long Frigate manned by a crew of 320 and the ship is commanded by Captain Rajat Kumar.

During their visit to the crew of INS Sahyadri will participate in events hosted by the Sri Lanka Navy, aimed to strengthen bilateral ties. They will also visit several tourist hotspots across the country.

Concluding the visit, INS Sahyadri is scheduled to set sail from Colombo on 07 Apr

Continue Reading

News

JMSDF BUNGO and ETAJIMA depart island

Published

on

By

Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) BUNGO and ETAJIMA which arrived in Sri Lanka on a goodwill visit on 01 Apr 25, departed the island on Friday [04 Apr].

The Sri Lanka Navy bade customary farewell to the departing ships at the Port of Colombo, following naval traditions. Upon leaving, the duo of ships engaged in a successful Passage Exercise (PASSEX) with SLNS Vijayabahu. The PASSEX involved training exercises in communication and tactical maneuvering, concluding with the traditional cheer ship salute.

During their stay in Colombo, crew members of the JMSDF ships took part in several programmes organized by the Sri Lanka Navy, aimed at enhancing mutual cooperation. In addition, they also explored some tourist attractions in Colombo. Further, personnel of Sri Lanka Navy had the opportunity to visit JMSDF BUNGO and ETAJIMA, gaining insights into their operational capabilities.

The Commanding Officers of JMSDF BUNGO and ETAJIMA, Commander TANAKA Koji and Commander ODA Takayuki called on Commander Western Naval Area, and Director General Operations, on 01 Apr.

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Ceremonial reception for Indian PM Narendra Modi commences

Published

on

By

The official welcoming ceremony for the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, who arrived in Sri Lanka on Friday (April 4) night for a three-day state visit, is currently underway at Independence Square in Colombo.

Continue Reading

Trending