News
Conduct of AG’s Dept. under microscope
Failure to arrest Zahran
By Rathindra Kuruwita
The Attorney General has recommended disciplinary action against Deputy Solicitor General, Azard Navavi, and State Counsel Malik Azeez, who were entrusted with the file on National Thawheed Jamaat (NTJ) and its leader Zahran Hashim, for lapses in handling the case, the PCoI investigating the Easter Sunday attacks was informed yesterday.
A three-member committee had also concluded its inquiry, and charge sheets have been sent to the Public Service Commission (PSC,) Additional Solicitor General Sumathi Dharmawardena yesterday told the PCoI. The report had been sent on 27 November 2020 through the Secretary to the Ministry of Justice, but there had been no response so far, he said.
The Attorney General’s Department had paid attention to the file on NTJ leader Zahran Hashim, sent by the Terrorism Investigation Division (TID) seeking their advice, three weeks after the Easter Sunday attacks, Deputy Solicitor General Navavi, on December (05) told the PCoI.
When the PCoI summoned Navavi and Azeez, the Chairman asked Navavi what the AG’s Department had done about the file on Zahran, sent by the TID for legal advice. Navavi said that he had received the file on 07 June 2017 and directed Azeez, who was under him to handle it. Both men insisted that the TID had not relayed the information it had about NTJ and Zahran until 2019.
Azeez said that on 12 March 2019, there had been a meeting with several TID officers on the file and only at that point had the officers mentioned that the TID had obtained warrants twice to arrest Zahran.
“The arrest warrants had not been attached to the file or brought to the notice of the AG’s Department until March 2019,” Azeez said.
Azeez informed the Commission that the TID had added documents to the file twice, in 2017 and 2018. None of those included the two arrest warrants or statements recorded by Zahran’s mother and wife. Without those important documents, the AG’s department officials had not been able to detect a threat to National Security, Azeez said.
Additional Solicitor General Sumathi Dharmawardena was called before the PCoI to shed more light on the matter. He is also in charge of administration at the AG’s Department.
Dharmawardena said that in 2019 he had testified before the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) on the Easter Sunday attacks on the file that TID had sent.
ASG Dharmawardena added that he had drawn Attorney General, Dappula de Livera’s attention to the final report of the PSC on or around 24 February 2020. The following day, Livera had recommended that an inquiry be conducted as regards Navavi and Azeez. Initially, the investigation was to be done by Deputy Solicitor General, Susantha Balapatabendi.
However, on 13 March 2020, a three-member committee consisting of Senior Additional Solicitor General, Sarath Jayamanne, Balapatabendi and Senior Deputy Solicitor General, Mayadunne Corea had been appointed. Jayamanne resigned from the committee on 29 May 2020 and on 01 June 2020, Additional Solicitor General, Priyantha Nawana had been made the head of the Committee, Dharmawardena said.
The committee had finalised the investigation in July 2020 and sent it to him, Dharmawardena said. The report containing draft charge sheets had been given to Acting Solicitor General Sanjay Rajaratnam for further recommendations and on 27 July 2020, Rajaratnam had also recommended disciplinary action, Dharmawardena said.
“Rajaratnam again on 12 November 2020 said action should be taken on the matter.”
Chairman of the PCoI: “Did you send this to the PSC for action?”
Dharmawardena: “Yes, this was sent to the PSC through the Secretary to the Ministry of Justice. This was done on 27 November 2020.”
Incidentally, 27 November 2020 was the day Dharmawardena was asked to come to the Police Unit of the PCoI to give a statement.
Dharmawardena said that there had been no response to the report so far.
Chairman of the PCoI: “The TID sent a file for advice in 2017 to the division that handled criminal cases. Who was in charge of the division then?”
Dharmawardena: “Senior Additional Solicitor General Kapila Waidyaratne.”
Chairman of the PCoI: “Who were the law officers in charge of the Eastern Province after June 2017?”
Dharmawardena: “Navavi, who was a senior state counsel then was in charge of the area.”
Chairman of the PCoI: “Who was his supervisor?”
Dharmawardena: “Current AG Dappula de Livera.”
Shavindra Fernando, PC, who appeared for Navavi then cross-examined Dharmawardena.
Fernando: “The Committee recommended legal action against the two law officers in July 2020. But you only sent the report to PSC on 27 November 2020. You also gave a statement to the PCoI Police Unit on that day. Is this true?”
Dharmawardena: “This is not a question I can answer. Only the AG can.”
Fernando: “On 18 June 2019, the AG sent a letter to the acting IGP, saying that the law officers of the AG’s Department were not at fault in this case. On 10 July 2019, the coordinating officer to the AG repeated the claim in a press release. It is obvious that AG didn’t think Navavi and Azeez did anything wrong.”
Dharmawardena: “The administration division has nothing to do with sending press releases.”
Fernando: “Can the Commission ask the coordinating officer to the AG to testify before the PCoI on this?”
The PCoI then ordered State Counsel, Nishara Jayaratne to appear before the PCoI tomorrow (17).
She was also asked to give a statement to the police unit attached to the PCoI, today.
News
CEB seeking tariff hike while making huge profits, says opposition trade union leader
Convenor of the Samagi Joint Trade Union Alliance affiliated with the Samagi Jana Balawegaya, Ananda Palitha, yesterday (16) said that the Ceylon Electricity Board was seeking to raise electricity tariffs by 13.56% percent although it had earned a profit of more than Rs 22,000 mn.
The CEB recently submitted its proposal to the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) for an electricity tariff revision for the second quarter of this year – the period effective from April 1 to June 30.
Palitha alleged that the PUCSL, in spite of knowing the massive profit earned by the CEB, at the expense of the hapless public, had chosen to allow the state enterprise to propose an additional burden.
The economic, technical and safety regulator of the electricity industry, and the designated regulator for petroleum and water services industries, should exercise its powers in terms of the PUCSL Act No. 35 of 2002 and the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 20 of 2009 to provide relief, the veteran trade unionist said.
Palitha emphasised that the PUCSL had the right to intervene on behalf of electricity consumers but, unfortunately, chose to facilitate the CEB’s despicable strategy. “The proposal to increase tariffs by 13.56% was meant to divert attention. The real issue at hand is the percentage of electricity tariff reduction,” Palitha said. The former UNPer found fault with the Opposition for failing to expose the CEB.
Taking into consideration the Rs 22,000 millionplus profit, the PUCSL could order the CEB to grant relief to consumers, Palitha said, adding that the CEB and PUCSL, together, deprived electricity consumers tariff reduction in the first quarter of this year, too.
In January this year, the CEB asked for a 11.59% tariff increase though it was enjoying Rs 22,000 mn profit at that time, the trade unionist said.
Palitha said that as the PUCSL received all data available to the CEB it was fully aware of the finances of the state enterprise.
In January, 2025, regardless of the NPP government floating the idea regarding as much as a 37% tariff increase, the PUCSL granted a 20% tariff reduction (25% of Rs 22,000 mn profit), Palitha said.
According to him, as a result of relief granted to the consumers, the profits had been reduced to Rs 16,000 mn but by June 2025 profits had increased to Rs 18,000 mn and there was a need to grant tariff reduction. But, the NPP, having always lashed out at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in the run up to the presidential election, held in September 2024, started playing a different tune.
Responding to The Island queries, Palitha said that contrary to claims that the CEB proposed a 13.56% tariff increase to cover up losses caused by the importation of low-quality coal for the Norochcholai Lakvijaya coal-fired power plant, the current strategy seemed to have been adopted at the behest of the IMF.
Instead of granting tariff reduction for the third quarter in 2025, the PUCSL ordered an 18% increase, Palitha said. The trade unionist claimed that the Finance Ministry, at the behest of the IMF, directed both the CEB and the PUCSL to increase electricity tariffs by 20% in violation of the relevant Acts, he said.
Then in Oct, 2025, the CEB proposed a 6.8 % tariff increase at a time its profits were around Rs 22,000 mn. The CEB and PUCSL staged a drama over that proposal and finally, on the false pretext of the CEB’s failure to furnish its proposal on time, the revision was dropped, Palitha said. The SJB activist pointed out that the Opposition failed to highlight that consumers had been deprived of downward revision in spite of massive profits earned by the Board. “In fact, when Energy Minister Kumara Jayakody met trade unions, he very clearly declared that they were considering electricity power reduction, perhaps by 10%, 12% or 15%. But in the end nothing happened.”
Now the same drama is being enacted by the government, the CEB and the PUCSL, Palitha said.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
News
BASL protest march
Members of the BASL yesterday (16) staged a protest march over the murder of a lawyer and his wife in Akuregoda, Thalangama, last week. The BASL staged a protest march from the Supreme Court Complex to the BASL Head Office.
News
IMF MD here
Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Kristalina Georgieva arrived in Colombo yesterday (16) for top level discussions with the government. She is scheduled to leave tomorrow (18) after meeting government authorities and key stakeholders, observing firsthand the impact of Cyclone Ditwah, and discussing ways in which the IMF could support recovery efforts and contribute to building a more resilient future for all Sri Lankans, sources said.
-
Life style2 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business1 day agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features2 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA question of national pride
-
Business6 days agoAutodoc 360 relocates to reinforce commitment to premium auto care
-
Opinion5 days agoWill computers ever be intelligent?
-
Features2 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features2 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
