News
Civil society asks for explanation from AG, CIABOC
Dismissal of nearly dozen high-profile cases:
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Civil society group, Purawesi Balaya, told the media at Rajagiriya on Wednesday (31) that the Attorney General’s Department as well as the CIABOC (Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption) owed an explanation regarding the dismissal of several high-profile cases due to shortcomings on their part.
The AG and the CIABOC owed an immediate explanation and the public had a right to know, Purawesi Balaya spokesman Gamini Viyangoda said. Flanked by attorney-at-law K.W. Janaranjana and Prof. Sarath Wijesuriya, Viyangoda emphasised that the AG and CIABOC should bear the responsibility for taking remedial measures. Would the AG and CIABOC reexamine the cases and initiate fresh proceedings if dismissals were caused by flaws on the part of the institutions? Viyangoda asked.
The civil society activist said that the issue at hand should be examined against the backdrop of the enactment of the 20th Amendment at the expense of the 19th Amendment.
Referring to recent criticism of those who flayed the government over alleged destruction of state forests, including Sinharaja, Viyangoda said that the government conveniently branded all its critics as traitors. The conduct of the AG, CIABOC as well as other institutions and sectors had to be studied in post 20th Amendment enactment as the President exercised powers hitherto shared with the Parliament and the judiciary.
Viyangoda said that the CIABOC owed an explanation as to how the decision to drop all charges against former lawmaker and Foreign Ministry Monitoring MP Sajin Vass Gunawardena pertaining to Mihin Lanka case was arrived at. That particular case dealt with misappropriation of public funds amounting to Rs 883 mn, he said, while referring to recent dismissal of cases involving one-time Eastern Province Chief Minister Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pilleyan, Johnston Fernando, Rohitha Abeygunawardena, Basil Rajapaksa, Mahindananda Aluthgamage, Janaka Bandara Tennakoon and former Chief Justice Mohan Peiris. The former CJ ended up as Sri Lanka’s top representative in New York.
Noting that Attorney General Dappula de Livera, PC, unlike his predecessors, had been constantly present in both print and electronic media, Viyangoda said that the public shouldn’t be deprived of an opportunity to know the truth. If the AG and CIABOC realised their institutions were at fault, they should accept responsibility, Viyangoda said, pointing out that all those who benefited were members of the government or those connected with it.
Viyangoda pointed out that Jayantha Jayasuriya, the AG during whose tenure legal proceedings had been initiated against those above mentioned persons was now the head of the judiciary, in his capacity as the Chief Justice. Viyangoda said that it would be interesting to know whether the CIABOC and AG examined any other cases other than those of government personalities.
The civil society activist, who through their group Purawesi Balaya backed the previous UNP government even after bond scams and other grave transgressions said that on one hand those who had been under investigation and hauled up before courts were cleared whereas government cronies perpetrated unprecedented corruption. Claiming that the massive scam in slashing of duty on sugar imports revealed at the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA) chaired by government member Anura Priyadarshana Yapa and the murderous racket in importing of contaminated coconut oil highlighted the pathetic state of affairs. In spite of exposure of such despicable frauds, the government simply went ahead with its projects regardless of the consequences, Viyangoda said, urging the electorate to be mindful of deadly strategies. Viyangoda also drew a parallel with scores of retired military and police personnel receiving top appointments in President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s administration and the recent military take-over of Myanmar.
Viyangoda said that the public shouldn’t be surprised if the incumbent administration resorted to punitive measures to suppress the democratic Opposition. The civil society accepted responsibility for spearheading a campaign having realized the importance of its role in post-20th Amendment period.
Viyangoda said that the vast majority of those who had voted for SLPP candidate Gotabaya Rajapaksa at the 2019 presidential and the SLPP at the 2020 general election regreted having done so.
News
CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail
Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.
The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.
The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”
Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.
At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.
The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.
However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.
A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.
The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.
Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.
By Ifham Nizam
News
PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.
According to the disclosure:
An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.
Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.
Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.
Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.
MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.
Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.
For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.
News
CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests
Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.
The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.
These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.
Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.
Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.
The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”
The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.
By AJA Abeynayake
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
