News
CID ordered to probe disappearance of documents given by Minister Gamage to Immigration Dept.

By A.J.A Abeynayaka
Colombo Chief magistrate Prasanna Alwis yesterday (02) told representatives of the CID that they must investigate and find out how documents given by State Minister Diana Gamage to Immigration Department to obtain her passports had gone missing.
Alwis added that although the original documents submitted by Gamage had gone missing, the copies thereof were enough for the CID to commence an investigation.
Gamage had left the country in 1980 under a different name and then returned later with a British Passport under the name Diana Gamage, ASP Chanaka Silva, who represented the CID, said, adding they could only determine if she violated the immigration laws based on the documents to be sent by the British.
The Magistrate said that the state minister had claimed she returned to Sri Lanka after renouncing British citizenship and she obtained a Sri Lankan passport. He asked the CID whether those statements were true. He also said that representatives of the Attorney General’s Department must be present in the future to assist in the investigation. He asked the Attorney General to send his representatives.
The Chief Magistrate asked the CID to present all the statements obtained from Gamage and other witnesses. Rienzi Arsecularatne PC, who represented plaintiff Oshala Herath, informed court that the CID had, in a B Report submitted in 2021, said that Gamage violated immigration laws. He asked the court to instruct the CID to arrest Gamage.
Shavendra Fernando PC, who represents Gamage, objected to Arsecularatne’s request. A heated argument took place between Fernando and Gunaratna Wanninayaka, who represented the lawyers, and Thusitha Gunasekera, who represented Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) General Secretary Ranjith Maddumabandara. Colombo Chief Magistrate warned lawyers to behave themselves.
The CID then informed court that it had asked Gamage to hand over her passport, but she has not done so. The Colombo Chief Magistrate asked the CID if it was not an hindrance to the investigations. ASP Chanaka Silva, representing the CID, requested the court to give an order on that. The case will be taken up again on 23 March.
News
EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.
The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.
The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.
The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.
The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field
Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.
The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)
News
Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.
The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.
They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.
S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.
News
Traditional Japanese musical concert and cultural performance

The Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka hosted a concert of Japanese traditional music by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra featuring the performers of NYSC on 28th March in honour of the visit of Most. Ven. Ohtani Chohjun Nayaka Hamuduruwo, the 25th Head Priest of Higashi Hongan-ji Grand Temple.
The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony and breathtaking musical performances by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra, showcasing traditional Japanese instruments such as the Koto and Shamisen. The evening was further enriched by violin and vibrant dance performances by students from the National Youth Council (NYSC) and Lanka Nippon Biztech Institute (LNBTI).
This cultural celebration further strengthened the deep ties between Japan and Sri Lanka, offering a unique experience of Japanese tradition and heritage.
-
Sports4 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News3 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
News5 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Business6 days ago
AIA Higher Education Scholarships Programme celebrating 30-year journey
-
News4 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features4 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Latest News2 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win
-
Features4 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know