Connect with us

Latest News

China and India pledge to be ‘partners not rivals’

Published

on

[pic BBC]

The leaders of China and India say there is now deepening trust between them after years of tension that includes a long-running border dispute.

China’s President Xi Jinping and Indian PM Narendra Modi met on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in the port city of Tianjin. It is Modi’s first time in China in seven years.

Xi told Modi that China and India should be partners, not rivals while Modi said there was now an “atmosphere of peace and stability” between them.

President Putin is also at the summit, attended by more than 20 world leaders, but this year overshadowed by trade wars with the US.

President Trump has imposed steep tariffs on Indian goods as punishment for Delhi’s continued purchase of Russian oil, and Putin faces threats of sanctions for his ongoing war on Ukraine.

As the US-India relationship faces increasing headwinds, Modi is moving closer to Xi. Both countries are not only the most populous, but also have two of the biggest economies in the world.

Modi announced that flights between India and China – suspended since deadly troop clashes on their shared Himalayan border in 2020 – would resume, without providing a timeline.

Xi said that “both sides need to approach and handle our relationship from a strategic height and long-term perspective” and that “it is the right choice for both sides to be friends”.

The SCO summit itself is largely symbolic but will allow leaders to air common grievances and shared interests. It comes days before a massive military parade in Beijing that will mark 80 years since the end of World War II.

There are 10 member states in the grouping – including Russia, Pakistan and Iran – and 16 dialogue partners and observers.

Putin, who is a close ally of China, arrived to a red carpet welcome in Tianjin on Sunday.

The SCO was created by China, Russia and four Central Asian countries in 2001 as a countermeasure to limit the influence of Western alliances such as Nato.

This year’s gathering is the largest since it was founded.

For Tianjin, the summit has become a major event with banners and billboards promoting it throughout the northern port city.

At night tens of thousands of local spectators have been cramming into the riverside area to see a lightshow displayed on tower blocks while the gathering is taking place.

The streets have been heavily crowded – making it difficult for people to even move, especially on and around the historic Jiefang Bridge.

During the day pedestrians are at times being made to wait as roadblocks go up to allow the motorcades of visiting world leaders to pass by quickly.

Taxis and other hire car services have been suspended in the downtown area, but this has not dampened the enthusiasm of crowds of people wanting to be part of what has been described as a historic meeting.

However, police have advised Tianjin’s more than 13 million residents to avoid moving around the city if possible and to stick to shops nearby them to purchase any immediate necessities.

[BBC]



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

ICC deputy chair has ‘cordial and constructive’ meetings with new SLC committee

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka Cricket’s new transformation committee has had “cordial and constructive” discussions with Imran Khwaja, the ICC’s deputy chair, according to a member of the new SLC committee.

Khwaja had been in Ari Lanka over the last few days to gather information as the ICC decides what its response to the sweeping government-led changes at SLC should be. During the course of that visit, Khwaja not only spoke with members of SLC’s transformation committee, but also met with Sri Lanka’s president Anura Kumara Dissanayake, whose government had installed the committee after ousting the previous board.

Sidath Wettimuny one of the committee’s nine members, said SLC’s new administrators were hopeful the ICC would continue to treat the board as a regular Full Member.

But the ICC has a track record of reprimanding SLC because of perceived government interference. In 2023, SLC was suspended over “extensive government interference” and, in 2015, the ICC had also frozen payments over a previous “interim committee” having been appointed by the then government.

This current committee, however, has said its goals were to replace SLC’s archaic constitution, before making way for a new set of elected officials.

The ICC has so far made no comments on the change of administration at SLC.

The committee, formally unveiled on April 30, has nine members, including Kumar Sangakkara, Wettimuny and Roshan Mahanama. The majority of the members, though, hail from corporate, legal, and political spheres, with former member of parliament Eran Wickramaratne appointed as chair.

“Our immediate priority is a total overhaul of the governance framework at SLC,” Wettimuny had said after the committee members were named. “The cornerstone of this effort will be the implementation of the new constitution, ensuring it serves as a robust, modern foundation for the sport.”

The committee’s second priority would be to ensure “excellence on the field,” Wickramaratne had said. “We will focus on establishing the structures, world-class facilities, and incentive models necessary to empower our national teams. Our goal is to enable our players to consistently deliver world-class performances and elevate Sri Lanka back to the top tier of international rankings.”

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

BBL on track to host season opener in Chennai in December

Published

on

By

A general view of the action at the MA Chidambaram Stadium [Cricinfo]

The MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, the home venue of the Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, is on track to host the opening game of the 2026-27 Big Bash League (BBL) season in December.

Cricket Australia had identified the MA Chidambaram Stadium as a potential venue in February earlier this year and following months of discussions, ESPNcricinfo understands that CA has received positive feedback from both the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) and the BCCI to go ahead.

On Monday, a five-member delegation from CA attended CSK’s final home game of the IPL season, against Sunrisers Hderabad, for a venue recce. It’s understood that they are also working closely with the Australian government. BCCI president Mithun Manhas was also in attendance at the MA Chidambaram Stadium on Monday.

There are still some final discussions to be had at government level before the game can be locked in.

CA could potentially buy the game off the host club to take control of the fixture in India. There would also be a knock-on effect to the schedule given the distances involved, and the need to give players enough preparation time beforehand. There are no direct flights from Australia to Chennai but there are from Melbourne to Delhi and Sydney to Bangalore that take 11-12 hours. There are flight paths with one stopover to Chennai that take roughly 13 hours. Then, players also need recovery time on their return home before their next game. Chennai is also prone to flooding in December due to the wet season.

Whether the game is played during the day remains to be seen as day games are better for Australian broadcast windows with IPL day matches starting at 8pm AEST. IPL night matches start at 12am AEST.

In Australian sport, the NRL takes matches to Las Vegas to launch the rugby league season. However, that tournament is played over six months, while the BBL is completed in a seven-week window from mid-December to the end of January.

Ravichandran Ashwin,  a former CSK player, was due to be the first India international to feature in the BBL this season, having signed for Sydney Thunder, but withdrew due to a knee injury.

There are a number of clubs interested in playing in the game. It is understood Thunder and the two Melbourne clubs Stars and Renegades are open to playing in Chennai among others. One club would need to play as the “home” team which would reduce their home fixtures in Australia to just four which has flow-on effects to membership and ticket revenue.

Renegades are already looking at a hybrid home venue model for the upcoming season after their agreement with Marvel Stadium (Docklands) ended earlier this year. They are considering playing at multiple venues including GMHBA Stadium in Geelong, the MCG and the Junction Oval which is the home of Victoria’s high performance centre just south of Melbourne’s CBD. Floodlights are being installed at Junction Oval during the off-season that will be ready to use next summer but the ground only holds a maximum of 6000 people.

The news is separate from the BBL privatization debate that continues to bubble in Australia. The six states are split on a proposal to introduce private investment into the eight franchises. CA is pushing ahead to test the market with three clubs, Renegades, Perth Scorchers and Hobart Hurricanes to see what valuations might come back from prospective investors. Meanwhile, discussions are ongoing with New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia. NSW and Queensland have said no to the initial proposal while SA were keen for others to test the market first before going ahead.

NSW are continuing discussions with CA around an alternative model that they are proposing to avoid private investment. NSW are adamant that CA can raise revenue significantly to improve their profit and loss position and pay the players more money to play in the BBL by making adjustments within the current structure without introducing outside or foreign ownership into Australian cricket.

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

At least 100 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says

Published

on

By

All visitors and patients must wash their hands and have their temperatures taken before entering Kyeshero Hospital in Goma [BBC]

At least 100 deaths have been reported in an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with more than 390 cases suspected, the head of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has told the BBC.

Jean Kaseya warned that with no approved drugs or vaccines people should follow public health measures, including at funerals of Ebola victims.

There are also two confirmed cases and one death in Uganda, says the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the outbreak of the current strain of Ebola, which is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, an international emergency.

An American doctor in the DR Congo is among those with a confirmed case, the medical missionary group they were working with and the CDC has said. The individual, who has not been named, will now be taken to Germany for treatment, they told CBS News, the BBC’s US partner.

CBS News also quoted sources as saying that at least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during the outbreak in the DR Congo.

The CDC said it was supporting the “safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected”, but did not confirm how many.

The US government is reportedly looking to arrange transport for the small group of Americans in DR Congo to a safe quarantine location, a source told health news site STAT.

Quoting a source, the site adds that the group could be taken to a US military base in Germany, though this has not been confirmed.

The CDC declined to answer direct questions about the US citizens reportedly affected during a press conference on Sunday.

In an update on Monday, the public health agency said the risk to the US was relatively low, but said it would introduce a range of measures to prevent the disease from entering the country.

This includes monitoring travellers arriving from affected areas and placing entry restrictions on non-US passport holders if they have been in Uganda, DR Congo or South Sudan in the last 21 days.

The CDC said it would work with airlines and other partners to carry out contact tracing of passengers, increase testing capacity and hospital readiness to respond to the outbreak.

The US has also issued a Level Four travel advisory – its most severe level – warning against travel to the DR Congo.

The WHO has said the outbreak in DR Congo’s eastern Ituri province is a public health emergency of international concern, but did not meet the criteria of a pandemic.

The agency has also warned it could potentially be “a much larger outbreak” than what is currently being detected and reported, with significant risk of local and regional spread.

More than 28,600 people were infected by Ebola during the 2014-2016 outbreak in West Africa, the largest outbreak of the virus since its discovery in 1976.

The disease spread to a number of countries within and outside of West Africa, including Guinea, Sierra Leone, the United States, the United Kingdom and Italy, killing 11,325 people.

Kaseya, head of the Africa CDC, told the BBC that in the absence of vaccines and effective medicines people should follow public health measures, including the guidance about handling the funerals of those who have died from the disease.

“We don’t want people infected because of funerals,” he told the BBC World Service’s Newsday programme.

Community funerals, where people helped wash the bodies of their loved ones, contributed to many people becoming infected in the earlier stages of the big outbreak more than a decade ago.

The WHO has advised DR Congo and Uganda, two countries with confirmed cases, to undertake cross-border screenings to avoid the virus spreading.

It has also urged nearby countries to “enhance their preparedness and readiness”, including surveillance at health facilities and communities.

Neighbouring Rwanda said it would be tightening screening along its border with DR Congo as a “precautionary measure”, while Nigeria said it was “closely monitoring the situation”.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Trending