Connect with us

News

CA grants leave to proceed with petition challenging controversial road expansion through the Sinharaja Forest Reserve under Gotabaya Presidency

Published

on

The Court of Appeal yesterday (20) granted leave to proceed with a petition challenging the controversial road expansion through the Sinharaja Forest Reserve, a UNESCO-designated protected area, during the tenure of former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

The petition, filed by the Centre for Environmental Justice and its Executive Director Hemantha Withanage, argues that a narrow 8-foot-wide road was being illegally widened to 15 feet under the direct intervention of the former President, allegedly to provide easier access to tourist hotels and lodges said to be linked to politicians and their associates in the region.

Appearing for the petitioners, Senior Attorney-at-Law Dr. Ravindranath Dabare told the Court that the project had already caused serious environmental damage, including the destruction of centuries-old, ecologically valuable trees on both sides of the route. He further claimed that such actions were not part of the original environmental or feasibility assessments.

The Court, presided over by Justice Gihan Kulatunga, issued notices to the respondents and ordered that they appear before the Court. The respondents named in the petition include the Director General of Forest Conservation, the Director General of the Central Environmental Authority, former Ministers C.B. Rathnayake (Wildlife and Forest Conservation), Mahinda Amaraweera (Environment), and Chamal Rajapaksa (Road Development), as well as the Attorney General.

The petitioners assert that in August 2020, heavy machinery, such as backhoes, was used in the construction process, causing significant harm to the forest’s biodiversity and genetic resources. They also argue that no state agency had legal authority to approve such expansion, and called for a full investigation.

The petition, originally filed in March 2021, was taken up with legal representation for the respondents led by Senior State Counsel Nayomi Kahawita for the Attorney General. The petitioners were represented by Dr. Ravindranath Dabare along with Attorneys Samanthi Ponnamperuma and Mathasha Jayasinghe.

 By AJA Abeynayake ✍️



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

News

Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide

Published

on

Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.

The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.

In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.

In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.

The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.

Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.

by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva

Continue Reading

News

Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals

Published

on

Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.

The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.

Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.

According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.

Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.

Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.

The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.

by Norman Palihawadane

Continue Reading

Trending