News

Brig. ordering recruits to vote for Ranil: Military denies NPP’s allegation

Published

on

Rohana Hettiarachchi

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The Defence Ministry and Army Headquarters yesterday (06) denied the NPP’s allegation that a senior officer, based at the Wahera Sri Lanka National Guard (SLNG) training centre, Kurunegala, had ordered recruits to vote for President Ranil Wickremesinghe on Sept. 05, the second day of the three-day postal voting period.

Over 700,000 public servants, including the members of the police and military, are eligible to exercise their franchise through postal voting.

Army spokesman Maj. Gen. Rasika Kumara and Defence Ministry Spokesman Colonel Nalin Herath said that as soon as this matter was brought to their notice, inquiries had been made. The officer, whom the accusations had been made against, held the Brigadier’s rank, they said.

Executive Director of PAFFREL (People’s Action for Free and Fair Election) Rohana Hettiarachchi confirmed the position taken by the military. The military said that Police Emergency, too, had responded, following a tip-off regarding alleged interference by the officer named by the NPP.

Retired Senior DIG D. Gajasingha, head of the JJB observation mission, said that he wasn’t aware of the current status of the complaint lodged by the party. According to the complaint lodged with the Election Commission (EC) by the NPP, the Brigadier in charge of the training facility had summoned recruits to his office and demanded that they exercise their franchise for President Wickremesinghe.EC said that those who couldn’t vote on Sept 4th, 5th and 6th would be able to do so on Sept 11th and 12th.

Click to comment

Trending

Exit mobile version