Connect with us

Latest News

Biles wins all-around title for sixth Olympic gold

Published

on

Simone Biles has now won six Olympic golds, one silver and two bronze (BBC)

Simone Biles won the all-around gymnastics title for her second Olympic gold in Paris and sixth overall to cement her place back at the top of her sport with yet another sparkling slice of history.

The American, who won the title at Rio 2016 and had been favourite at Tokyo 2020 before she pulled out became the oldest winner of her sport’s blue-riband event for 72 years in front of another celebrity-studded crowd.

Brazil’s Rebeca Andrade claimed silver at the Bercy Arena, with defending champion Sunisa Lee taking bronze.

The world’s most decorated gymnast, Biles put on a sparkly goat necklace while celebrating – as if there was any doubt about her status as the GOAT (greatest of all time).

“It’s a little ode… a lot of people love it. They always call me the GOAT, so I thought it would be really special if I got one made,” she said.

“The haters hate it, but I like that even more. It’s just a special part of me that I have here.

“In the athletes’  village I have a stuffed goat. Just to get a reminder, like ‘You can go out there, you can do it. You’ve done it before. So let’s go’.”

At the age of 27, Biles is the first gymnast to win non-consecutive all-around Olympic titles – a demonstration of her longevity in a gruelling sport traditionally dominated by teenagers.

The past 12 Olympic all-around women’s champions were teenagers, and even the last non-teen, Ludmilla Tourischeva, had turned 20 only a few weeks before she won in 1972.

Biles’ intention was clear from the outset of Thursday’s session.

Starting with her ‘Biles II’ vault – the hardest in women’s gymnastics – proved a good decision as she needed that extra buffer of points when she made an uncharacteristic mistake on the uneven bars.

“Thank God we did the double pike today [on vault] as I wasn’t planning on it,” she said.

She was behind Andrade after two rotations but pulled off a difficulty-packed beam routine, fighting off gravity to stay on the 10cm-wide apparatus, to score 14.566 and bring the crowd to their feet as she went back to the top of the standings.

Taking a lead of 0.166 into the final rotation on floor, Biles was last to perform and delivered a flawless demonstration of some of her best skills to post a total of 59.131.

That meant she finished a comfortable 1.199 ahead of Andrade, who could only applaud and enjoy what her rival had done, as did everyone else in the packed arena.

Biles helped the United States reclaim the team title two days ago, but Thursday evening was about her trying to once again take the prize of world’s best gymnast after the turbulence of Tokyo.

The pressure of expectation she faced going into the Games three years ago, her struggles without her family there because of the pandemic restrictions and her withdrawal from several finals when she suffered the disorientating mental block that gymnasts call the ‘twisties’ are all well-documented.

Biles, who returned to the sport after a two-year break last summer, told reporters she had weekly therapy sessions for the past three years and at other times during these Games.

“It means the world to me,” she said of her victory.

“I’m super proud of my performance and the fight that I’ve had for the last three years – mentally and physically – just to get back.”

But she did not have the easiest ride to gold, saying: “I’ve never been so stressed before – thank you Rebeca.”

She went as far as to say she never wanted to compete against the Brazilian again, although that will be hard in Paris as they have both qualified for the vault, beam and floor finals.

“I’ve never had an athlete that close – it definitely put me on my toes and brought out the best athlete in myself,” she said of Andrade, who was also the silver medallist in Tokyo.

A huge gasp sounded round the arena – where Kendall Jenner and basketball star Stephen Curry were among those attending – when she made a mistake when making a transition to the lower bar, needing to bend both knees to avoid touching the ground, and missed a connection to score 13.733 on uneven bars.

But that is traditionally the ‘weakest’ of her four pieces – and after some quick reassurance from her husband that she could still win she made up ground and stretched ahead with 14.566 on beam and 15.066 on floor.

Biles has said she does not keep count of her statistics; instead saying it is all about going out there and doing what she loves.

It could be said, of course, that with so many records, it actually is genuinely hard to keep track. Although she did correct someone at the news conference who said she had nine Olympic golds rather than nine medals.

This final alone was historic; it was the first time two female Olympic all-around champions had gone head-to-head for a second title, with Biles facing team-mate Lee – the Tokyo 2020 gold medallist.

Biles was already the most decorated gymnast coming into the Paris Games.

Her tally of world and Olympic medals stood at 37 – and she has now taken that to 39, with chances to add to it in the floor, beam and vault finals in the coming days.

With the team gold on Tuesday that took her to eight Olympic medals, she overtook Shannon Miller as the most decorated American Olympic gymnast – and she has now made that nine.

Biles also holds the record for most women’s all-around world titles (six) and most World Championships medals (30).

She had the chance to set another record on Thursday – had she performed a new skill on bars that she had submitted to the International Gymnastics Federation she would have been the only active gymnast to have skills named after her on all four apparatus.

But she did not attempt it – and did not need to since her arsenal of other unique and high-value skills were more than enough to seal the gold.

When does Simone Biles compete next?

She is in the vault final on Saturday (15:20 BST), then the beam (11:38 BST) and floor (13:23 BST) finals on Monday.

(BBC)



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Trump directs US government to prepare release of files on aliens and UFOs

Published

on

By

[File pic]

US President Donald Trump says he will direct US agencies, including the defence department, to “begin the process of identifying and releasing” government files on aliens and extraterrestrial life.

Trump made the declaration in a post on Truth Social, after he accused Barack Obama earlier in the day of revealing classified information when the former president said “aliens are real” on a podcast last week.

“He’s not supposed to be doing that,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, adding: “He made a big mistake.”

Asked if he also thinks aliens are real, Trump answered: “Well, I don’t know if they’re real or not.”

Former US President Obama told podcast host Brian Tyler Cohen that he thinks aliens are real in an interview released last Saturday.

“They’re real, but I haven’t seen them, and they’re not being kept in Area 51,” Obama said.

“There’s no underground facility unless there’s this enormous conspiracy and they hid it from the president of the United States.”

After the comment made headlines, Obama sought to clarify he thinks it’s statistically likely life exists beyond Earth, given the vastness of the universe.

In a follow-up post on Instagram, Obama, who served as US president between 2009-17, clarified: “I saw no evidence during my presidency that extraterrestrials have made contact with us. Really!”

Obama’s initial comments were made during a quickfire “lightning” round of questions on the podcast.

There was no indication that Obama relied on classified information when he gave the interview. The BBC has contacted Obama for comment. The Democrat and Trump, a Republican, are longstanding mutual political antagonists.

For his part, Trump said on Thursday on Air Force One that while a lot of people believe in the existence of aliens, he never talks about it, and “doesn’t have an opinion on it”.

Then a few hours later, he posted on Truth Social that “based on the tremendous interest shown” he will seek the release of files “related to alien and extraterrestrial life, unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), and unidentified flying objects (UFOs), and any and all other information connected to these highly complex, but extremely interesting and important, matters”.

In a 2024 report, the Pentagon said there was no evidence that the US government had encountered alien life, and that most UFO sightings were just ordinary objects.

In 2023, the US House of Representatives held a panel on unidentified anomalous phenomenon (UAPs), known more colloquially as UFOs.

The hearing produced no major bombshells or confirmation of alien life.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Latest News

‘Best time to crush’ Australia, says Oman captain Jatinder Singh

Published

on

By

Oman are hoping to get more exposure for their players in franchise leagues [Cricinfo]

Oman have suffered three heavy defeats to Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, and Ireland at the 2026 T20 World Cup, and had been thumped by Australia the only other time these two teams met, at the 2024 edition. But captain Jatinder Singh says his team sees their final match of this tournament as an opportunity to surprise a wounded Australia team.

Australia have nothing to gain from the match against Oman in Pallekele on Friday, aside from preserving some pride. Perhaps the gloom around the Australia camp will give Oman an opening. In fact it might be “the best time to crush them”.

“One hundred percent this is an opportunity,” Jatinder said. “And our boys are looking forward to it. Because T20 is a game of momentum and the moments, and if you play those moments right, you can do anything on that particular day. Australia is not doing well at the moment… it is the best time to crush them.

“The boys are really positive. They are looking forward to the match against Australia to make their mark.”

On how to make Oman more competitive in the long term, Jatinder believed franchise cricket opportunities for Oman players could be one route. Oman did not have a heavy cricket schedule in 2025, playing only 15 T20Is that year in addition to eight ODIs.

“Well if I have to sum up how Oman can improve, it would be if we have the franchise cricket happening in the country or our guys get a chance to play franchise cricket elsewhere,” Jatinder said. “I think we can fill that gap and they can bring vast amount of experience for our national team.

“But if we don’t get to play competitive cricket, whereas other teams are getting to play the competitive cricket, we will need to fill that gap. There have been instances where we’ve been inviting the teams to come and play in Oman. The response has been really delayed, or we don’t get any response. So I think if we have the franchise cricket, that would really fill the gap.”

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Vanquished Australia eye winning end to dreadful World Cup campaign

Published

on

By

Steve Smith flew all the way to Sri Lanka as a replacement player, so he's likely to get a go [Cricbuzz]
In an alternate world, Australia would have been running final system checks in their last group game against Oman on February 20 before stepping into the world of Super Eights with a favourites tag in tow. But reality hasn’t matched the lofty pre-tournament expectation, and has them packing bags and bracing themselves for a damning introspection.

It’s jarring to see Australia being left behind in a white-ball World Cup – a blot in their enviable, unmatched heritage. But that said, they’ve failed to make the semis of five of the last six T20 World Cups – a complete reversal in fortunes from the 50-over tournament.

Amid accusations of not taking it too seriously, losing key players to injuries and retirement and a sharp assessment from Ricky Ponting,  a former World Cup winner from their shores, Mitchell Marsh & Co. have to drag themselves to the middle one last time before being homeward bound. You could argue there’s nothing riding on this game other than serving another reminder of Australia’s fallacies and you’d be right. But Australia will want to believe that a win as a final act brings some peace with it, and the consolation of finishing third – just outside of the two qualifiers.

Oman, meanwhile, got to Sri Lanka in search of a memorable evening at the very least where they could upset the apple-cart. They’ve gone 0 for 3 so far, but there will be murmurs in their camp of setting out in search of it again, against the vulnerable former champions.

There’s predicted thunderstorms one hour into the fixture. If rain stays away, there should be big runs on offer. The only other 7 pm start here saw Australia post 181 and Sri Lanka chase it down with two overs to spare.

Steve Smith flew all the way to Sri Lanka as a replacement player, so he’s likely to get a go in the final game of the tournament for the Aussies.

Oman made a couple of changes in the last two fixtures without success. Shakeel Ahmed went in and out of the side in the three games, but picked three wickets against Ireland and should keep his place. Jatinder might look at giving top-order batter Karan Sonavale another go.

Australia Probable XI: Mitchell Marsh (c), Steve Smith, Cameron Green, Tim David, Josh Inglis (wk), Marcus Stoinis, Matt Renshaw, Cooper Connolly, Xavier Bartlett, Nathan Ellis, Adam Zampa

Oman Probable XI: Aamir Kaleem, Jatinder Singh (c), Hammad Mirza, Ashish Odedara/Karan Sonavale, Mohammad Nadeem, Jiten Ramanandi, Vinayak Shukla (wk), Nadeem Khan, Sufyan Mehmood, Shah Faisal, Shakeel Ahmed

[Cricbuzz]

Continue Reading

Trending