News
Alarm raised over plan to share Lanka’s biometric data with blacklisted Indian firm
FSP accuses govt. of reducing Sri Lanka to a puppet of India by giving away sensitive data
Jana Aragalaya Movement, affiliated to the Frontline Socialist Party, yesterday raised alarm over a move to hand over Sri Lankans’ fingerprint and iris biometric data to a blacklisted foreign company.
Speaking at a media briefing in front of the Ministry of Fisheries yesterday Jana Aragalaya Movement National Operational Committee Member Wasantha Mudalige alleged that India was seeking access to Sri Lanka’s sensitive national data systems in a bid to exert influence over the country.
He said that decision-making authority over the proposed biometric identity card system was being ceded to India.
Mudalige said the electronic identity card project, launched in 2012, had already cost Rs. 5.6 billion in software development, with a further Rs. 600 million needed for completion. However, he alleged that in 2021 the Gotabaya Rajapaksa administration had moved to integrate the project
with India for biometric implementation, despite substantial local investment already made.
He said a government tender process had been initiated but later stalled after bidders failed to meet required qualifications.
He alleged that in 2023 the Ranil Wickremesinghe administration had attempted to award the project to Madras Security Printers, a company blacklisted over an excise-related fraud case, and that the move was halted following public opposition.
Mudalige added that after President Anura Kumara Dissanayake assumed office, Sri Lanka had signed an agreement with India in January 2025 under which tendering authority was also transferred.
He alleged that while five Indian companies were initially registered, a sixth company—Madras Security Printers—was later added by March 2026, raising further concerns.
Calling for urgent clarification, Mudalige warned that Sri Lanka risked undermining its sovereignty and national security, insisting the country must not be reduced to what he termed a foreign “puppet state.”
by Chaminda Silva
Latest News
Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years
A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.
Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.
It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.
Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.
His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.
Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.
(PMD)
News
ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.
Latest News
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).
The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.
During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
