News
AKD informs Putin of Lanka’s desire to join BRICS
Sri Lanka has formally initiated the application process to join the BRICS and the New Development Bank, the Foreign Ministry announced yesterday (22).
The Ministry statement said that President Anura Kumara Dissanayake has written to his Russian counterpart Vladimar Putin conveying Sri Lanka’s interest in BRICS membership, while Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath sought the backing of his counterparts in BRICS member countries.
Meanwhile, Foreign Secretary Aruni Wijewardane was leadig the Sri Lanka delegation to the BRICS Outreach/ BRICS Plus Summit in Kazan, Russia, from Oct. 22-24.
The Foreign Ministry statement: “BRICS, which consists of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, recently expanded its membership to include Iran, Egypt, Ethiopia, and the United Arab Emirates. Over the years BRICS has become an important platform for cooperation among emerging markets and developing countries.
During the visit Foreign Secretary Wijewardane will address the upcoming Leaders’ Summit on behalf of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake. She will also meet senior representatives from BRICS member countries to discuss Sri Lanka’s application to join it, as well as other issues of bilateral interest.
Foreign Secretary Wijewardane was met on arrival in Kazan on 21 October by Farid Khayullovich Mukhametshin, Chairman of the State Council of the Republic of Tatarstan, Denis Kalinkin, First Deputy Mayor of the City of Kazan, Ms. Lenara Muzafarova, Director of the Multifunctional Centre of the Republic of Tatarstan, and protocol officials from the Foreign Ministry of Russia. She is accompanied by the Chargé d’affaires Ambassador P.M. Amza, and Director General, Economic Affairs Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, K.K. Yoganaadan.”
News
Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands
An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.
Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.
Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.
Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.
Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)
News
Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism
In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.
The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.
Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.
News
Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected
Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.
DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..
One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.
The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.
The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.
Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Opinion5 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News2 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
