Connect with us

News

Corruption in coal procurement: Prof Peiris wants heads to roll

Published

on

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Rebel SLPP MP Prof. G.L. Peiris says that the recent resignation of Justice Minister Wijeyadasa Rajapaksa, PC, and Foreign Minister Ali Sabry, PC, from a ministerial subcommittee inquiring into procurement of coal for Lakvijaya coal-fired power plant complex at Norochcholai revealed the failure on their part to take tangible action against corruption.

The former External Affairs Minister said that the two President’s Counsel couldn’t absolve themselves of the responsibility for what was going on in utterly corrupt coal procurement process by quitting the ministerial subcommittee.

Prof. Peiris also took up this issue at Wednesday’s special media briefing at Nawala, where he dealt with the government’s efforts to put off Local Government polls scheduled for March 09.Prof. Peiris asked his former Cabinet colleagues whether they really believed their resignations were sufficient at a time organised racketeers were bleeding the country.

The subcommittee was appointed to inquire into procurement of 720,000 tonnes of coal.Referring to their letters of resignations addressed to the Cabinet Secretary, Prof. Peiris said that both Rajapakse and Sabry owed a lucid explanation.

The former minister asked whether it was fair by the hapless public that ministers tasked with cleaning up coal procurement process conveniently gave up their responsibility claiming the absence of cooperation from those involved in the process.

Following their resignations, a new ministerial subcommittee has been constituted with Industries and Plantation Industries Minister Dr. Ramesh Pathirana, Environment Minister Ahamed Nazeer Zainulabdeen, Education Minister Susil Premajayantha, and State Minister of Finance Shehan Semasinghe.

Prof. Peiris said that the resignations proved corruption was continuing though the cash-strapped government repeatedly urged the public to bear up hardships.

The SLPP National List lawmaker alleged that procurement of coal seemed to be beyond proper scrutiny at any level whereas the public were repeatedly told the government lacked wherewithal to pay for new coal shipments.Prof. Peiris called for careful examination of those directly responsible for procurement process as bankrupt Sri Lanka couldn’t afford to have the current fraudulent system continuing.

Prof. Peiris called the media briefing in the wake of the government deciding to procure 720,000 metric tonnes of Russian coal from two companies–China’s Combasst Industries Development Ltd and Dubai’s Coral Energy DMCC. The original plan was to buy the said amount of coal from Indonesia’s PT Arista Mitra Jaya. That plan has fallen through.



News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending