Connect with us

News

Weerawansa urges President to fast-track interest-free university student loan scheme

Published

on

By Sanath Nanayakkare

National Freedom Front (NFF) Leader Wimal Weerawansa yesterday urged the Finance Minister and President Ranil Wickremesinghe to expedite the enrollment of students selected to enter non-state/private universities under the student loan scheme initiated by the Yahapalana government in 2017.

“As you are well aware, due to the limited

capacity of enrolling students to state universities, not all students who are eligible for university entrance in Sri Lanka get the opportunity. Against this backdrop, the interest-free loan scheme for selected students to enter private universities was introduced in 2017 while you were the prime minister of that administration.

Under this programme, five consecutive student groups are to be enrolled in private universities, however, the students selected by the Ministry of Higher Education to enter nominated private universities for the Academic Year 2021/2022, have not yet been registered.

The anxiously awaiting students are very concerned about this delay as years don’t wait for them and they can’t reverse the damage caused by it on their future,” Weerawansa stated writing a letter to the President on the matter.

“Providing the opportunity of enrollment to such students to private universities under the above interest-free student loan scheme would be a progressive measure because the capital we invest as a nation for tomorrow’s academic and professional excellence of our students would be a meaningful investment for the future.

“About 15,000 students who belong to this aspirant group are told by the Ministry of Higher Education that financial institutions including the Bank of Ceylon are citing the prevailing higher interest rates as a barrier to implementing this scheme as planned earlier. So I kindly request you to pay immediate attention to this matter as the finance minister and take appropriate action to resolve this issue and accelerate the registration process and intake of these students.”

Several students selected to enter private universities under this scheme told The Island that they were told by Higher Education Ministry authorities at a Zoom meeting that the state bank involved in the project is not willing to give out these loans at the previous rates (12%-13%) as current bank interest rates have exceeded 22% per annum. So we got the impression that either the government would have to give a fresh guarantee to the Bank of Ceylon (BOC) on the new interest payments or our parents would have to pay the increased part of the interest. Most of us are from low and middle income levels of the society, and therefore, it would be practically impossible for our parents to bear a significant share of the interest cost.”

According to the Higher Education Ministry’s website, the total interest-free loan period is 12 years. The repayment of the loan should be started after the study period and one-year grace period.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending