Connect with us

Latest News

India casts doubt on Trump’s claim Modi will stop buying Russian oil

Published

on

Trump claimed Narendra Modi had committed to end Russian oil imports on Wednesday [BBC]

India’s foreign ministry has said it is “not aware” of a phone call in which US President Donald Trump claimed Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi agreed to stop purchasing Russian oil.

On Wednesday, Trump said his Indian counterpart had “assured me today” that it would end Russian oil imports, a move the US has pushed for in a bid to increase economic pressure on the Kremlin to end the war in Ukraine.

But asked about the call today [Thursday[, an Indian government spokesman cast doubt on Trump’s account, saying he was “not aware of any conversation between the two leaders” taking place the previous day.

The Indian government had earlier said discussions were still “ongoing” with the US over its Russian oil purchases.

It comes as a White House official confirmed to the BBC that Trump plans to speak to Russian President Vladimir Putin in a call today [Thursday].

India has become a key energy customer for Russia since the outbreak of the war, partly allowing the Kremlin to withstand the impact of Ukrainian allies slashing oil and gas imports, the country’s biggest export market.

The Trump administration has put public and diplomatic pressure on India to end its support for the Russian energy market as it seeks to increase the Kremlin’s economic isolation and force an end to the war. Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Speaking at the White House on Wednesday, Trump said he had received assurances from Modi on Wednesday that India would halt its purchases “within a short period of time”.

In its initial response, the Indian government did not directly dispute that the call between Trump and Modi had taken place. It read: “Our consistent priority to safeguard the interests of the Indian consumer in a volatile energy scenario. Our import policies are guided entirely by this objective.”

The Indian government’s second response today [Thursday] raises further questions over whether a deal has been struck between Washington and Delhi.

BBC News has contacted the White House and State Department for comment.

Delhi’s continued reliance on Russian crude oil, which it imports at a discount, have become a key source of contention in US-India relations under the Trump administration, which has taken a tougher line on the Ukraine war after Putin failed to agree a peace deal with the White House.

India is second only to China for how much Russian energy it imports, funding which helps to prevent the collapse of Russia’s critical fossil fuel industry.

Modi’s government has accused Ukraine’s allies of hypocrisy, pointing to ongoing trade with Russia, including energy imports to the European Union, albeit at reduced levels.

In its latest round of sanctions unveiled this week, the UK government said it would target a major Indian oil refinery as it “continue(s) to get facilitate getting Russian oil onto global markets”. Officials said India’s Nayara Energy Limited imported 100 million barrels of Russian crude oil worth more than $5bn (£3.75bn) in 2024 alone.

[BBC]

 



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Nissanka ton stuns Australia, puts Sri Lanka in Super Eights

Published

on

By

Pathum Nissanka celebrates his second T20I century [Cricinfo]

Sri Lanka survived an early onslaught to qualify for the 2026 T20 World Cup Super Eights, leaving Australia right at the exit door and hoping for a miracle.

The returning captain Mitchell Marsh and the returning-to-runs Travis Head were brutal in taking Australia to 104 in the first 50 legal deliveries, but some spectacular fielding and spin bowling helped Sri Lanka take 10 for 77 off the last 70 balls.

In front of a partying full house in Pallekele, Sri Lanka’s two most prolific batters, Pathum Nissanka and Kusal Mendis, brought out both the axe and paper cuts to slice through the chase. Nissanka, who had earlier dropped Glenn Maxwell and then dismissed him with a stunner, went on to score an unbeaten hundred and take Sri Lanka home with two overs to spare.

In the absence of Matheesha Pathirana, who walked off with a calf injury in his first over, their spinners contributed six wickets to go with excellent closing from Dushmantha Chameera. Australia’s lead spinner Adam Zampa, among the best T20 spinners of all time, took no wicket and was lucky to go for only 41 in his four overs.

Brief scores:
Sri Lanka 184/2 in 18 overs [Pathum Nissanka 100*, Kusal Mendis 51, Pavan Rathnayake 2*; Marcus Stoinis 2-41] beat Australia 181/10 in 20 overs  [Mitchell Marsh 54, Travis Head 56, Josh Inglis 27, Glenn Maxwell 22; Dushmantha Chameera 2-56, Maheesh Theekshana 1-37, Dushan Hemantha 3-37, Dunith Wellalage 1-33, Kamindu Mendis 1-19] by eight wickets

[Cricinfo]

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

New Zealand eye Super Eight spot against Canada

Published

on

By

Tim Seifert and Finn Allen are among the best dangerous openers in world cricket [Cricinfo]

A win against Canada in their first T20I against them on Tuesday will firm up New Zealand’s  spot in the Super Eight. This result will also knock out Canada; South Africa have already qualified for the next round from Group D with three wins in as many games.

New Zealand have faced Canada just three times in international cricket so far – each time in ODI World Cups. Their most recent meeting coming in the 2011 edition in Mumbai. They have won all three games and are poised to make it 4-0 against Canada in World Cups, despite the absence of Lockie Ferguson.  The fast bowler has returned home for the birth of his first child and is expected to link up with the side ahead of the Super Eight. In Ferguson’s absence, Kyle Jamieson, who wasn’t even in the main squad in the first place, is set to make his T20 World Cup bow.

As for Canada, they had their moments against South Africa and UAE but they have failed to convert those into wins. On Friday in Delhi, they had UAE at 66 for 4 in the 13th over in a chase of 151, but they left the door ajar for Aryansh Sharma and Sohaib Khan to sneak home. Canada can’t afford such slip-ups against New Zealand – and then Afghanistan – if they are to notch up a win in this World Cup.

Kyle Jamieson doesn’t quite have Ferguson’s express pace, but can bang it away on a hard length and stifle the opposition batters. He also has some slower variations in his repertoire and his high-arm release could pose a big threat, especially to batters who are facing him for the first time.

Once known as “Vettori” in Canada’s club cricket circuit,  Saad Bin Zafar will run into the team that was once captained by one of his heroes. The Canada left-arm spinner often attacks the stumps and keeps it tight, as his economy rate of 6.02 across 67 T20Is suggests. At 39, Saad knows he won’t be playing the game for long and will be eager to cause a few upsets on the big stage.

Jamieson is set to slot in for Ferguson unless New Zealand want to give veteran legspinner Ish Sodhi a game.

New Zealand (probable):  Tim Seifert (wk), Finn Allen,  Rachin Ravindra,  Glenn Phillips, Daryl Mitchell,  Mark Chapman,  Mitchell Santner (capt),  Jimmy Neesham,  Kyle Jamieson,  Matt Henry,  Jacob Duffy

Canada are likely to play the same XI that lost to South Africa and UAE.

Canada (probable):  Dilpreet Bajwa (capt),  Yuvraj Samra,  Navneet Dhaliwal,  Nicholas Kirton,  Shreyas Movva (wk),  Harsh Thaker,  Saad Bin Zafar, Jaskaran Singh,  Dilon Heyliger, Kaleem Sana,  Ansh Patel

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pathirana under injury cloud as he leaves the field early

Published

on

By

Matheesha Pathirana walked off midway through his opening over (Cricinfo)

Sri Lanka fast bowler Matheesha Pathirana left the field four balls into his first over, after collapsing to the ground clutching his left calf, and did not return to the field during Sri Lanka’s bowling innings against Australia. Having briefly received treatment from the Sri Lanka physiotherapist immediately after sustaining the injury, Pathirana hobbled off the field with assistance from support staff.

He then spent the majority of the innings being treated in the dressing room. Sri Lanka will likely send him off for scans as soon as the match finishes.

“Matheesha Pathirana experienced discomfort in his left leg calf while bowling during the match and was unable to continue,” a statement read. “He will not bowl further in this game. A scan will be conducted tomorrow to determine the extent of the injury.”

Pathirana had begun well against Australia, bowling two dot balls and giving away three runs (including a wide) in those first four deliveries. The last two balls of the over were delivered by Dasun Shanaka, who gave away a four and bowled a dot.

Pathirana is the quickest bowler in Sri Lanka’s attack, and a key part of their death-bowling plans for the tournament in particular. He is also the second Sri Lanka bowler to come under an injury cloud, with Wanindu Hasaranga already having been ruled out  of the World Cup with a hamstring injury of his own.

After this game against Australa, Sri Lanka have another group match to play, against Zimbabwe. They have not earned qualification for the Super Eights yet.

(Cricinfo)

Continue Reading

Trending