Foreign News
Bride shot dead in attack on French wedding party
A bride has been shot dead on her wedding night in a village near the south-east French city of Avignon after masked gunmen opened fire, local officials say.
One suspected attacker was also killed in an apparent exchange of fire, and the groom and a 13-year-old child were seriously wounded during the incident in the village of Goult.
A manhunt involving dozens of police officers and a helicopter is under way for an unknown number of suspects who managed to flee.
French media reports that the violence may be linked to drug-related score-settling.
Authorities have opened a murder and attempted murder investigation.
At about 04:30 (02:30 GMT) on Sunday, the bride, 27, and groom, 25, were leaving the wedding party in the village hall when unidentified assailants opened fire, news agency AFP reports.
Initial reports suggested one of the attackers had been run over by the couple’s car, but Avignon prosecutor Florence Galtier referred to the supect as having been hit “in the exchange”.
The surviving attackers, who had arrived by car, fled on foot after the shooting, the prosecutor said.
A total of 28 people were present in the hall at the time of the attack, police say. One woman was also slightly injured in the incident.
The hall was booked in March “for a wedding by people who don’t live in the commune”, local Mayor Didier Perello said.
“I’m outraged,” he added. “We’re close to towns, I won’t name them, where unfortunately, we’ve seen this kind of thing before.”
Guillaume Molinas, a 50-year-old restaurant owner, said he feared the deadly attack would give the village of some 1,000 residents a “bad name”.
“The last major incident in the village was 125 years ago,” he was quoted as saying by AFP, without giving further details.
(BBC)
Foreign News
How photography helped the British empire classify India
In the second half of the 19th Century, photography became one of the British Empire’s most persuasive instruments for knowing – and classifying – India.
A new exhibition – called Typecasting: Photographing the Peoples of India, 1855-1920, and organised by DAG, the Delhi-based art gallery – brings together nearly 200 rare photographs from a period when the camera was deployed to classify communities, fix identities and make India’s complex social differences legible to the colonial government.
Spanning 65 years, the exhibition maps an expansive human geography: from Lepcha and Bhutia communities in the north-east to Afridis in the north-west; from Todas in the Nilgiris to Parsi and Gujarati elites in western India.
It also turns its gaze to those assigned to the lower rungs of the colonial social order – dancing girls, agricultural labourers, barbers and snake charmers.
These images did not merely document India’s diversity; they actively shaped it, translating fluid, lived realities into apparently stable and knowable “types”.
Curated by historian Sudeshna Guha, the exhibition centres on folios from The People of India, the influential eight-volume photographic survey published between 1868 and 1875. From this core, it expands outward to include albumen and silver-gelatin prints by photographers such as Samuel Bourne, Lala Deen Dayal, John Burke and the studio Shepherd & Robertson – practitioners whose images helped define the visual language of that time.
“Taken together, this material tells the history of ethnographic photography and its effect on the British administration and the Indian population, in a project which in size and depth has never before been seen in India,” says Ashish Anand, CEO of DAG.
Here’s a selection of images from the exhibition:









[BBC]
Foreign News
Asos co-founder dies after Thailand apartment block fall
A co-founder of online fashion giant Asos died after falling from a high-rise apartment block in Thailand, police have said.
Quentin Griffiths has been named by Thai police as the man found dead on the ground in the eastern seaside city of Pattaya on 9 February.
A police investigator told the BBC Griffiths, a British passport holder, was by himself, his room was locked from the inside, and there was no trace of any break-ins at the time of the death. An autopsy did not reveal any evidence of foul play.
Griffiths co-founded Asos in 2000 and remained a significant shareholder after leaving the firm five years later.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: “We are supporting the family of a British national who has died in Thailand and are in contact with the local authorities.”
Police in Pattaya told the BBC Griffiths was found dead outside a luxury hotel where he had been staying in as a long-term resident in a suite on the 17th floor.
He was involved in two ongoing court cases that might have caused him stress, police also told the BBC.
Griffiths was separated from his second wife, a Thai national, and had reportedly been engaged in a legal dispute with her over a business they ran together, the BBC understands.
He co-founded Asos in London with Nick Robertson, Andrew Regan and Deborah Thorpe.
Its name originally stood for As Seen On Screen as it sold fashion inspired by clothing worn by TV and film stars.
It grew to become an online fashion marketplace stocking hundreds of brands as well as its own lines and at one time was valued at more than £6bn.
Its largest shareholders include Danish billionaire Anders Holch Povlsen – who owns Danish clothing giant Bestseller and Mike Ashley, owner of Frasers Group.
[BBC]
Foreign News
Mystery donor gives Japanese city $3.6m in gold bars to fix water system
A Japanese city has received a hefty donation to help fix its ageing water system: 21kg (46lb) in gold bars.
The gold bars, worth an estimated 560 million yen ($3.6m; £2.7m), were given last November by a donor who wished to remain anonymous, Osaka Mayor Hideyuki Yokoyama told a press conference on Thursday.
Home to nearly three million people, Osaka is a commercial hub located in the Japan’s Kansai region and the country’s third-largest city.
But like many Japanese cities, Osaka’s water and sewage pipes are ageing – a growing cause for safety concern.
Osaka recorded more than 90 cases of water pipe leaks under its roads in the 2024 fiscal year, according to the city’s waterworks bureau.
“Tackling ageing water pipes requires a huge investment. So I have nothing but appreciation,” Yokoyama told reporters on Thursday, in response to a question about the huge gold donation.
Yokoyama said the amount was “staggering” and he was “lost for words”.
The same mystery donor had previously given 500,000 yen in cash for municipal waterworks, he added.
The city’s waterworks bureau said in a statement on Thursday that it was grateful for the gold donation and would put it to good use – including tackling the deterioration of water pipes.
More than 20% of Japan’s water pipes have passed their legal service life of 40 years, according to local media.
Sinkholes have also become increasingly common in Japanese cities, many of which have ageing sewage pipeline infrastructure.
Last year, a massive sinkhole in Saitama Prefecture swallowed the cab of a truck, killing its driver. The sinkhole was believed to have been caused by a ruptured sewage pipe.
That incident prompted Japanese authorities to step up efforts to replace corroded pipes across the country. But budget issues have stalled the progress of such pipe renewal works.
[BBC]
-
Life style7 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business6 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features7 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features7 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features7 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News7 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News7 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
Sports2 days agoOld and new at the SSC, just like Pakistan
