Connect with us

Latest News

Trump confirms China trip after ‘very good’ call with Xi

Published

on

[pic BBC]

Donald Trump has said he will visit China after speaking to its leader Xi Jinping over the phone.

The US president said he had reciprocated with an invite to the White House during the “very good talk” – though such a trip has not been confirmed by either side.

Thursday’s call is the first time the two leaders have spoken since Trump launched a trade war with Beijing in February. Chinese state media reported that the call happened at the White House’s request.

Trump wrote on social media that the hour-and-a-half conversation was primarily focused on trade and had “resulted in a very positive conclusion for both countries”.

“He invited me to China and I invited him here,” Trump said of the call with Xi while meeting German Chancellor Friedrich Merz in the Oval Office.

“We both accepted, so I will be going there with the first lady at a certain point and he will be coming here hopefully with the first lady of China.”

The Chinese readout of the conversation mentioned the its invitation but not the reciprocal one to the White House.

According to Chinese state news agency Xinhua, Xi reportedly told Trump that the US should “withdraw the negative measures it has taken against China”.

The Chinese leader was also said to have told Trump that China always kept its promises and since a consensus had been reached, both sides should abide by it – a reference to a recent deal between the two nations struck in Geneva.

Both sides have accused the other of breaching the deal aimed at dramatically reducing trade tariffs – a deal Trump touted as a “total reset”.

It came after Trump raised tariffs on imports from a number of countries, but reserved the highest rates for China. Beijing responded with its own higher rates on US imports, sparking tit-for-tat increases that peaked at 145%.

The tentative truce struck in May brought that US tariff on Chinese products down to 30%, while Beijing slashed levies on US imports to 10% and promised to lift barriers on critical mineral exports.

The agreement gave both sides a 90-day deadline to try to reach a trade deal.

But since then, talks have seemed to grind to a halt amid claims on both sides that the deal had been breached.

The US has accused China of failing to restart shipments of critical minerals and rare earth magnets vital to car and computer industries.

The Chinese Ministry of Commerce has denied the claims and accused the US of undermining the deal by introducing new restrictions on computer chips.

Trump introduced new export restrictions on semiconductor design software and announced it would revoke the visas of Chinese students.

The US president said following the call that “there should no longer be any questions respecting the complexity of Rare Earth products”.

He told reporters in the White House: “Chinese students can come, no problem, no problem – its an honour to have them frankly. But we want to check them.”

Reuters US President Donald Trump chats with first lady Melania Trump as they tour the Conservation Scientific Laboratory of the Forbidden City with Chinese President Xi Jinping
Trump appearing alongside Xi and first lady Melania Trump during his previous visit to China in 2017 [BBC]

Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Washington that it should handle Taiwan “with caution” to avoid conflict, just days after US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said China posed an “imminent” threat to the self-governed island.

Hegseth told the Shangri-la Dialogue in Singaport that Beijing was “credibly preparing to potentially use military force to alter the balance of power”.

China sees Taiwan as a breakaway province that will eventually be reunified, and has not ruled out the use of force to achieve this. The US supports Taiwan militarily but does not officially recognise it due to the ‘One China’ policy.

According to the readout of Thursday’s call given to Chinese media, Xi stressed that the US should handle the “Taiwan issue prudently to prevent a small number of Taiwan Independence separatists from dragging China and the US into a dangerous situation of conflict and confrontation”.

The call between Trump and Xi is long awaited and comes after months of silence between the two leaders.

The White House has touted the possibility they might talk from week one of Trump’s presidency – and earlier this week he finally vented his frustration on social media.

Trump wrote: “I like President Xi of China, always have, and always will, but he is VERY TOUGH, AND EXTREMELY HARD TO MAKE A DEAL WITH!”

Trump has made it clear that he likes to be involved in negotiations. But this is not the way China does business.

Beijing prefers to appoint a negotiating team led by a trusted official. Any calls or meeting between heads of state are usually thoroughly planned and highly choreographed.

The Chinese will also not want to be seen to bend to Washington’s demands.

[BBC]



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

Published

on

By

DR Congo have qualified for the Fifa World Cup for the first time since 1974 (BBC)

The Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country.

Preparations have been moved to Belgium amid the upsurge, which is thought to have killed more than 130 people.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has called the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern”, but said it was not at pandemic level.

Jerry Kalemo, a spokesperson for the national football team, told international media that pre-tournament games in Europe would go ahead as planned, as the squad gears up for their first World Cup since 1974.

DR Congo are due to play friendly matches against Denmark, on 3 June in Belgium, and Chile, on 9 June in Spain, ahead of the World Cup finals.

A spokesperson for the DR Congo team told the Reuters news agency that the squad’s training camp had been cancelled due to travel restrictions imposed by the US, who are hosting the World Cup this summer, along with Mexico and Canada.

The US’ public health agency has banned entry from non-Americans who have been in the DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days, in response to the Ebola outbreak

All DR Congo’s players, as well as the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside the central African country and will therefore not be affected by the restrictions now the training camp has been cancelled.

The high-profile event in Kinshasa was supposed to have been attended by fans, along with DR Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi, according to Reuters.

Kinshasa is roughly 1,800 km (1,120m) away from the eastern Ituri province, the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak. There have not yet been any reported cases in the city.

On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people were thought to have died, out of 600 suspected cases. However, on the same day, Congolese health minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.

(BBC Sports)

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya meets Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya currently undertaking an official visit to London, United Kingdom, to participate in the 43rd Commonwealth of Learning (COL) Board of Governors Meeting 2026  held a bilateral meeting with the Yvette Cooper MP, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom ON Wednesday [20]. The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera, along with officials from the Sri Lankan High Commission.

During the meeting, the Prime Minister conveyed Sri Lanka’s appreciation to the United Kingdom for the support extended in the aftermath of Cyclone Ditwa, including ongoing rebuilding and recovery assistance. The Prime Minister also commended the United Kingdom’s support in facilitating increased bilateral trade and exports for Sri Lanka.

The Prime Minister briefed the UK delegation on Sri Lanka’s recent economic developments and policy priorities, the Government’s commitment to advancing human rights and reconciliation, as well as Sri Lanka’s positive growth trajectory.

The two sides also exchanged views on current global geopolitical developments, challenges in the energy sector, and the importance of enhancing regional connectivity and long-term energy security.

Both sides also emphasised the importance of strengthening structured academic mobility frameworks while ensuring fairness, clarity, and integrity within migration systems.

They also reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries in areas of mutual interest.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Alice Capsey 74 not out blazes trail in seven-wicket England win

Published

on

By

Alice Capsey acknowledges her fifty [Cricinfo]

England started the final phase of their World Cup preparations with a convincing seven-wicket win in the first T20I against New Zealand as Alice Capsey embraced her role at the top of the order with a fine half-century.

Batting in unfamiliar territory as an opener, Capsey took control in England’s pursuit of a modest target of 137 with a 51-ball 74 not out in which she cut, drove and at times muscled her way to three sixes and seven fours, seeing her side home with 16 balls to spare.

Playing their first T20I for 10 months and missing captain Nat Sciver-Brunt to a calf injury, England were sharper in the field and their bowlers were on top from the start, from Lauren Bell’s wicket with the first ball of the match to Linsey Smith’s excellent figures of 1 for 10 from four overs including 15 dot balls.

Freya Kemp bowled for the first time in nearly 16 months as she increases her workloads following a back injury ahead of the T20 World Cup, with two wicketless overs conceding 16 runs, and she later supported Capsey with an unbeaten 31 off 20 balls. Charlie Dean, standing in for Sciver-Brunt as captain, as she did during the drawn ODI series, also took two wickets.

Collectively they tied down the reigning T20 world champions, who apart from Sophie Devine’s 22-ball 45 and a late 36-run stand off 33 balls for the sixth wicket between Maddy Green and Izzy Sharp, couldn’t get going. Suzie Bates dropped to No. 9 as the White Ferns continue to plan for life beyond her retirement after the T20 World Cup. But she didn’t get a chance to bat as Jess Kerr was run out off the last ball of the innings with her side 136 for 7.

With Danni Wyatt-Hodge on leave for the birth of her first child, Capsey was promoted from No. 3 and it was regular opener Sophia Dunkley who fell first, looping a Jess Kerr delivery to Sharp at point. Capsey settled nicely, bookending a thumping six over long-on with fours off Jess Kerr’s third over.

Bree Illing flattened Maia Bouchier’s middle stump to put England at 39 for 2 at the end of the powerplay but Capsey was in fine touch. She picked the gaps perfectly and even when she didn’t her shots had enough on them to beat the fielders. She brought up England’s fifty with a backward cut through short third, where Illing was stationed but couldn’t stop it. She moved to 49 with an authoritative cut for four off Illing and brought up her half-century off 43 deliveries two balls later with a single smacked past the bowler. Fittingly, Capsey raised the winning runs with back-to-back fours.

Bell, the sole specialist seamer in England’s XI, struck first ball, nailing her length just outside off as Georgia Plimmer chopped onto middle stump. Left-arm spinner Smith had a typically strong start to the powerplay, with a maiden first up. Then, with the first ball of the next over, she picked up the big wicket of Melie Kerr, who tried to clear mid-off only to find the towering Bell stretching to take a sharp overhead catch.

Izzy Gaze had come in at the top of the order instead of Bates, as was the case during New Zealand’s home series with South Africa in March. But Dean put an end to that piece of future-proofing when she bowled Gaze for 12 off 19 trying to break the shackles by advancing down the pitch, the ball turning just enough to slide under the swing and clip the top of middle and leg.

<h2 Devine started her final tour of England in vintage style, reminding onlookers of what they will be missing when she retires after next month’s T20 World Cup. She spent the final over of the powerplay, Sophie Ecclestone’s first, smoking the ball for three sixes over the leg-side boundary, which had been brought in considerably but needn’t have been, such was Devine’s power and timing.</h2

Devine hit back-to-back fours off Kemp, bowling for the first time since the Ashes in January 2025. Devine was lucky to get away with the second, smashed down the ground, but while Dani Gibson did well to get a hand to it running round from deep midwicket, she couldn’t hold on. Another maximum for Devine, off Dean this time, had her on 40 off just 18 but Gibson bowled her soon after with one that stayed low and clipped the bails.

Brief scores:
England Women 140 for 3 in 17.2 overs (Alice Capsey 74*, Heather Knight 19, Freya Kemp 31*; Jess Kerr 1-46, Bree Illing 2-19) beat New Zealand Women 136 for 7 in 20 overs (Isabella Gaze 12, Sophie Devine 45, Brooke Halliday 14, Maddy Green 23, Izzy Sharp 26*; Lauren  Bell 2-23, Linsey Smith 1-10, Dani Gibson 1-21, Charlie Deen 2-29) by seven wickets

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Trending