Connect with us

News

Former NLB Director released on bail

Published

on

Colombo Magistrate Nilupuli Lankapura yesterday (02) ordered the release on bail of Thushitha Halloluwa, former Executive Director of the National Lotteries Board (NLB), who appeared in court through attorneys in connection with an incident involving the alleged misuse of several items, including a mobile phone and computer equipment worth nearly Rs. 400,000, belonging to the NLB.

The court had previously issued an order for Halloluwa to be arrested and produced before the court. However, he was granted bail upon appearing through legal representation. The Magistrate also issued an order preventing the suspect from travelling overseas, and granted bail on two personal sureties of Rs. 200,000 each.

Appearing for the suspect, Senior Attorney-at-Law Ajith Pathirana said:

“Your Ladyship, my client had indeed taken with him the said mobile phone and other items when he stepped down from his position in 2019. Not only him, but other directors who served at the Board during that time were also provided with similar equipment. He retained those items as part of an understanding to offset dues owed to him by the NLB through their depreciated value. After learning that the Assistant General Manager of the Board had lodged a complaint with the Fort Police, my client approached the institution’s Secretary and expressed willingness to pay the remaining Rs. 282,000. However, the institution was not prepared to accept the funds, and so the money was sent via money order through the postal service—which was later returned. The money order is still with the post office. This is an offense that can be granted bail. We request that bail be granted under any condition the court deems appropriate.”

However, the OIC of the Fort Police, appearing on behalf of the police, argued that the suspect had not cooperated with the investigations and, therefore, bail should be denied.After considering arguments for both sides, the Magistrate stated that there was no sufficient reason to deny bail and thus issued the bail order, setting the case to be taken up again on May 30.

By A.J.A. Abeynayake



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

President inquires into the well-being of soldiers at the Ragama “Ranaviru Sevana”

Published

on

By

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake visited the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre in Ragama this morning (19) and inquired into the well-being of military personnel receiving residential treatment there.

During the visit, the President engaged in cordial discussions with the soldiers and commended the sacrifices made by all of them in safeguarding the unity of the motherland.

Thereafter, President Dissanayake also held discussions with the medical staff, including doctors serving at the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre, and looked into the possibility of further improving medical and other welfare facilities available for the military personnel undergoing treatment.

Minister of Science and Technology Professor Chrishantha Abeysena, Deputy Minister of Labour Mahinda Jayasinghe, Secretary to the Ministry of Defence Air Vice Marshal Sampath Thuyacontha (Retired), Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Lasantha Rodrigo, Director of Ranaviru Services and Rehabilitation of the Sri Lanka Army Brigadier R.G.L.K. Weerakoon, and Chairman of the Ranaviru Seva Authority Brigadier Senarath Kohona (Retired) were among those who attended the occasion.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

Trending