Sports
Honor named Lead Arm sponsor for Sri Lanka Cricket’s Tour of England
Honor by Singer Sri Lanka proudly announced its appointment as the Official Lead Arm Sponsor for the Sri Lanka Men’s Cricket team during their tour of England.Since entering the Sri Lankan market in April 2023, Honor, a leading global smartphone provider, has established itself as a dedicated partner of Sri Lanka Cricket, consistently sponsoring both the men’s and women’s national teams.
The Brand has been steadfast in its support of the nation’s cricketing ambitions, sponsoring key matches against India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe over the past months and its commitment continues with its role in the England tour.
“We are thrilled to be named the Lead Arm Sponsor for Sri Lanka Cricket as the team embarks on their tour of England this year,” said Mahesh Wijewardene, Group CEO of Singer Sri Lanka PLC. “Singer has a longstanding history with Sri Lankan Cricket and this partnership upholds the proud tradition. We firmly believe in the power of sports to inspire and unite. This collaboration represents our commitment to supporting and advancing our nation on the global stage. We wish the team every success in their upcoming tour!”
Expressing his thoughts, Janmesh Antony, Marketing Director of Singer Sri Lanka said, “We are incredibly proud to see Honor take on the role of Lead Arm Sponsor for Sri Lanka Cricket during this tour of England. As a brand that resonates with the aspirations and spirit of the Sri Lankan people, this partnership reflects our unwavering commitment to the growth and success of Sri Lanka Cricket.”
As the Lankan Lions take on the Englishmen this August and September, Honor’s backing not only celebrates every triumph but also provides steadfast support through challenges, embodying a mutual commitment to excellence from both Honor and Singer.
Honor smartphones are available to be purchased at Singer.lk and all Singer outlets and authorized resellers islandwide.
Latest News
ICC deputy chair has ‘cordial and constructive’ meetings with new SLC committee
Sri Lanka Cricket’s new transformation committee has had “cordial and constructive” discussions with Imran Khwaja, the ICC’s deputy chair, according to a member of the new SLC committee.
Khwaja had been in Ari Lanka over the last few days to gather information as the ICC decides what its response to the sweeping government-led changes at SLC should be. During the course of that visit, Khwaja not only spoke with members of SLC’s transformation committee, but also met with Sri Lanka’s president Anura Kumara Dissanayake, whose government had installed the committee after ousting the previous board.
Sidath Wettimuny one of the committee’s nine members, said SLC’s new administrators were hopeful the ICC would continue to treat the board as a regular Full Member.
But the ICC has a track record of reprimanding SLC because of perceived government interference. In 2023, SLC was suspended over “extensive government interference” and, in 2015, the ICC had also frozen payments over a previous “interim committee” having been appointed by the then government.
This current committee, however, has said its goals were to replace SLC’s archaic constitution, before making way for a new set of elected officials.
The ICC has so far made no comments on the change of administration at SLC.
The committee, formally unveiled on April 30, has nine members, including Kumar Sangakkara, Wettimuny and Roshan Mahanama. The majority of the members, though, hail from corporate, legal, and political spheres, with former member of parliament Eran Wickramaratne appointed as chair.
“Our immediate priority is a total overhaul of the governance framework at SLC,” Wettimuny had said after the committee members were named. “The cornerstone of this effort will be the implementation of the new constitution, ensuring it serves as a robust, modern foundation for the sport.”
The committee’s second priority would be to ensure “excellence on the field,” Wickramaratne had said. “We will focus on establishing the structures, world-class facilities, and incentive models necessary to empower our national teams. Our goal is to enable our players to consistently deliver world-class performances and elevate Sri Lanka back to the top tier of international rankings.”
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
BBL on track to host season opener in Chennai in December
The MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, the home venue of the Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, is on track to host the opening game of the 2026-27 Big Bash League (BBL) season in December.
Cricket Australia had identified the MA Chidambaram Stadium as a potential venue in February earlier this year and following months of discussions, ESPNcricinfo understands that CA has received positive feedback from both the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) and the BCCI to go ahead.
On Monday, a five-member delegation from CA attended CSK’s final home game of the IPL season, against Sunrisers Hderabad, for a venue recce. It’s understood that they are also working closely with the Australian government. BCCI president Mithun Manhas was also in attendance at the MA Chidambaram Stadium on Monday.
There are still some final discussions to be had at government level before the game can be locked in.
CA could potentially buy the game off the host club to take control of the fixture in India. There would also be a knock-on effect to the schedule given the distances involved, and the need to give players enough preparation time beforehand. There are no direct flights from Australia to Chennai but there are from Melbourne to Delhi and Sydney to Bangalore that take 11-12 hours. There are flight paths with one stopover to Chennai that take roughly 13 hours. Then, players also need recovery time on their return home before their next game. Chennai is also prone to flooding in December due to the wet season.
Whether the game is played during the day remains to be seen as day games are better for Australian broadcast windows with IPL day matches starting at 8pm AEST. IPL night matches start at 12am AEST.
In Australian sport, the NRL takes matches to Las Vegas to launch the rugby league season. However, that tournament is played over six months, while the BBL is completed in a seven-week window from mid-December to the end of January.
Ravichandran Ashwin, a former CSK player, was due to be the first India international to feature in the BBL this season, having signed for Sydney Thunder, but withdrew due to a knee injury.
There are a number of clubs interested in playing in the game. It is understood Thunder and the two Melbourne clubs Stars and Renegades are open to playing in Chennai among others. One club would need to play as the “home” team which would reduce their home fixtures in Australia to just four which has flow-on effects to membership and ticket revenue.
Renegades are already looking at a hybrid home venue model for the upcoming season after their agreement with Marvel Stadium (Docklands) ended earlier this year. They are considering playing at multiple venues including GMHBA Stadium in Geelong, the MCG and the Junction Oval which is the home of Victoria’s high performance centre just south of Melbourne’s CBD. Floodlights are being installed at Junction Oval during the off-season that will be ready to use next summer but the ground only holds a maximum of 6000 people.
The news is separate from the BBL privatization debate that continues to bubble in Australia. The six states are split on a proposal to introduce private investment into the eight franchises. CA is pushing ahead to test the market with three clubs, Renegades, Perth Scorchers and Hobart Hurricanes to see what valuations might come back from prospective investors. Meanwhile, discussions are ongoing with New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia. NSW and Queensland have said no to the initial proposal while SA were keen for others to test the market first before going ahead.
NSW are continuing discussions with CA around an alternative model that they are proposing to avoid private investment. NSW are adamant that CA can raise revenue significantly to improve their profit and loss position and pay the players more money to play in the BBL by making adjustments within the current structure without introducing outside or foreign ownership into Australian cricket.
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
Lanka Premier League returns after two years, opener set for July 17
The Lanka Premier League (LPL) 2026 will officially commence on July 17 with a rematch of the 2024 final, which was the last time the LPL was held, featuring reigning champions Jaffna and 2024 runners-up Galle.
The tournament opener is set to take place under the SSC lights in Colombo – a venue that hosted its inaugural T20I during this year’s T20 World Cup. The game is scheduled to begin at 7.30pm, though the venue will also host an official opening ceremony to launch the 2026 season ahead of the fixture.
The finalised tournament timeline will see the competition run from July 17 through August 8. Previously, SLC had announced the tournament will start on July 10, its matches played across four international venues.
The SSC will host five matches in total from July 17-19, before the action moves to Dambulla, then Kandy, and finally back to Colombo – this time at the R. Premadasa Stadium – for the knockout stages and final. There will also be a reserve day for the final, on August 9.
The 2026 edition will feature five teams representing Jaffna, Colombo, Kandy, Galle, and Dambulla. While the official franchise names and corporate ownership structures remain unannounced, SLC is expected to release the finalised team identities and brand details in the lead-up to the tournament.
The player registration portal, meanwhile, has been open since May 8 and will close on May 20. While direct signings can take place until May 22, the deadline for registration for all categories remains May 20.
While the previous two seasons hosted an auction, this year will see the return of a draft, set for June 1.
This change means that no player retention will be allowed from previous seasons, setting the stage for a significant shake up in squad composition. Each team will need to have a minimum of 18 members in their squad, with a further provision to add two local players, taking the squad limit to a maximum of 20.
In order to boost homegrown participation, SLC has announced that two local Emerging U-23 players must be present in each squad, with at least one named in a team’s starting XI. There must also be four overseas players in the playing XI at any given time.
The player registration guidelines had briefly sparked controversy on social media after an initial draft of the guidelines had listed a minimal count of 250,000 social media followers as a mandatory requirement for a registering Icon and Star category players – the two highest player categories. However, SLC has since removed that requirement.
LPL also kept a strong focus on ensuring player media engagement, with match fee penalties ranging from 5% to 50% for failure to meet the media and fan engagement requirements.
[Cricinfo]
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Opinion5 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News2 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
