Connect with us

News

Govt. heeds religious leaders’ advice – Johnston

Published

on

The Opposition seems to be rejoicing when religious leaders, led by Maha Sangha, become critical of some decisions and actions of the government, but the fact remains that the incumbent government will not always respect the advice of religious leaders, Highways Minister Johnston Fernando says.

Following an inspection tour to review the progress of the construction of the Marine Drive’s section from Dehiwala Bridge to Hill Street, Minister Fernando said that the government would never forget the fact that it had been voted in by the majority of Sinhala Buddhist and Catholic electors and the government was dedicated to safeguarding their inspirations.

“We are in the process of preparing a new Constitution. It is our policy to hold the elections without delay. That is why we have started the process of holding elections for the Provincial Councils. Some members of the Maha Sangha have expressed their opinion that elections should not be held at this time. When that difference of opinions came up the Opposition seemed to have rejuvenated as if they got a boost.

“We respect the religious leaders’ opinion and advice which we never challenge. We work in a democratic framework. We also have a policy and practice of giving priority to the advice of religious leaders when making decisions. I assure you that there would be no clash between their wishes and our actions. So the Opposition’s delight would be proven to be very-short-lived sinister joy.”

Minister Fernando said that those who were in the Opposition today used to deploy water cannon and police anti-riot squads to smash the heads of bhikkhus who took to the roads against social injustices prevailing then.  “The bhikkhus have stated their opinion with regard to the cremation of bodies of COVID-19 victims and I, as the Chief Government Whip, am happy that their standpoint is in accordance with the government policy.”

Minister Fernando said that during the five-year period of the yahapalana government there had been no development of the Marine Drive extension project, which had been launched to ease congestion on the Galle Road. “We have expedited its extension. It is our intention to finish the 1.2 km long section from the Dehiwala Bridge to Hill Street within 70 days. This would solve the traffic congestion near the Ramakrishna Road, Dehiwala. We intend to develop the two-lane Dehiwala Bridge into a four-lane bridge.”



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years

Published

on

By

A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.

Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.

It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.

Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.

His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.

Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy

Published

on

By

The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year. [

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland will join the Netherlands, Scotland, Thailand, the UAE and Papua New Guinea (PNG) in the 10-team championship. The decision was among the key outcomes of the ICC Chief Executives Committee (CEC) meeting conducted online on Thursday.
The inaugural edition of the championship was held in Bangkok from November 20 to 30 and featured Scotland, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Uganda and Tanzania, besides hosts Thailand. Thailand emerged champions after four teams – the hosts, UAE, Scotland and the Netherlands – finished level on points. The champions were eventually identified on net run rate.
The ICC, under the chairmanship of Jay Shah, intends to give a major fillip to women’s cricket – a move similar to the one that had far-reaching implications for the women’s game in India during his tenure as BCCI secretary. Following the blockbuster Women’s World Cup, which recorded unprecedented global viewership and was incidentally won by India, the ICC is now aiming to make women’s cricket the most popular women’s sport in the world.

In this context, the CEC received a presentation from McKinsey & Company, which advised the ICC on a strategy refresh for women’s cricket. The firm also presented recommendations on how the ICC could potentially increase its revenues tenfold over the next decade.
The ICC also heard presentations from representatives of Oliver Wyman on its data monetisation project. The governing body is keen to create a centralised data hub that could potentially generate revenues of at least $100 million. FIFA and the ATP Tour, it is understood, earn close to $200 million each from their respective data platforms.
As previously reported by this website, there was no discussion on men’s cricket matters such as the restructuring of the World Test Championship (WTC) or the proposed two-tier Test system. Those issues have been left to the ICC Board, which is scheduled to meet in Ahmedabad on May 30.
Continue Reading

Latest News

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit

Published

on

By

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).

The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.

During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.

Continue Reading

Trending