Connect with us

News

Despite Right to Information Act bureaucracy not forthcoming with data

Published

on

Subhashini Abeysinghe

Except Fisheries Ministry, others mum about vital expenditure

There is no data to estimate the progress of 68 percent of the most significant proposals of the 2023 budget, Subhashini Abeysinghe, Research Director at Verité Research has said.Taking part in a television interview, she said they had studied 25 of the key budget proposals.

“We asked the relevant 15 institutions whether these proposals had been implemented and what progress had been made in the first six months of 2023. Only the ministry of fisheries supplied information. The other 14 institutions were very hesitant to provide information although the Right to Information act clearly states that government institutions must publish data with regards to their projects,” she said.

Abeysinghe said that they analysed budget proposals between 2017 and 2021 as well. Data was not available for 45 percent of the most significant proposals of those budgets. This has risen sharply under the Wickremesinghe administration.

She said the government was rightly focusing on the need to increase tax revenue. However, people also needed to know what their tax rupees were spent on, she said, noting that one of the main problems faced by industrialists was that there weren’t many lands available for industry. The 2023 budget proposals have spoken about establishing industrial zones in various provinces.

“In the last 20 years, Sri Lanka has not established a new export processing zone. In 2020, the National Audit Office said there had been no new zones since 2002. The 2023 budget called for the establishment of zones in western province, and in Trincomalee and Hambantota Districts. There has been no data on the progress made,” she said, adding that many other Asian countries have established hundreds of industrial zones in the past few decades.

“Starting a factory isn’t easy. You need a lot of infrastructure. Our competitors such as Bangladesh and Vietnam have established so many industrial zones. This is why we are not getting investments although we give a lot of tax concessions,” she said. Abeysinghe said that budget proposals were indicators of where the government wanted to take the country.

“Even when there was no crisis, state expenditure barely covered daily expenses. Budget proposals are new initiatives and are often financed through debt,” she said.

The government also proposed to establish an international climate change campus in Sri Lanka in the 2023 budget. Rs 100 million has been earmarked for this in the budget.

“Is this enough to establish an international university? There are some serious issues with these numbers,” she said. (RK)



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years

Published

on

By

A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.

Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.

It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.

Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.

His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.

Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy

Published

on

By

The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year. [

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland will join the Netherlands, Scotland, Thailand, the UAE and Papua New Guinea (PNG) in the 10-team championship. The decision was among the key outcomes of the ICC Chief Executives Committee (CEC) meeting conducted online on Thursday.
The inaugural edition of the championship was held in Bangkok from November 20 to 30 and featured Scotland, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Uganda and Tanzania, besides hosts Thailand. Thailand emerged champions after four teams – the hosts, UAE, Scotland and the Netherlands – finished level on points. The champions were eventually identified on net run rate.
The ICC, under the chairmanship of Jay Shah, intends to give a major fillip to women’s cricket – a move similar to the one that had far-reaching implications for the women’s game in India during his tenure as BCCI secretary. Following the blockbuster Women’s World Cup, which recorded unprecedented global viewership and was incidentally won by India, the ICC is now aiming to make women’s cricket the most popular women’s sport in the world.

In this context, the CEC received a presentation from McKinsey & Company, which advised the ICC on a strategy refresh for women’s cricket. The firm also presented recommendations on how the ICC could potentially increase its revenues tenfold over the next decade.
The ICC also heard presentations from representatives of Oliver Wyman on its data monetisation project. The governing body is keen to create a centralised data hub that could potentially generate revenues of at least $100 million. FIFA and the ATP Tour, it is understood, earn close to $200 million each from their respective data platforms.
As previously reported by this website, there was no discussion on men’s cricket matters such as the restructuring of the World Test Championship (WTC) or the proposed two-tier Test system. Those issues have been left to the ICC Board, which is scheduled to meet in Ahmedabad on May 30.
Continue Reading

Latest News

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit

Published

on

By

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).

The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.

During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.

Continue Reading

Trending