Sports
West Indies U19s rattle hosts to level Youth ODI series
Jordan Johnson scored a century and pacemen Nathan Edward, Deshawn James and Isai Thorne rattled the Sri Lanka Under 19s batting line up as West Indies Under 19s handed the hosts a heavy 195 runs defeat to level the three-match Youth ODI series on Wednesday.
After the visitors amassed 320 runs Sri Lanka Under 19 top order crumbled against the pace attack of the West Indies to be lowed out for 125 runs at Dambulla.
They were six wickets down for 40 runs at one stage before Malsha Tharupathi’s (51 in 35 balls, 4x4s, 4x6s) half-century added some respect to an otherwise disastrous scorecard.
Put to bat, the visitors’ top order struck form guiding them over the 200 runs mark with seven wickets in hand. Jordan Johnson top-scored with 105 runs (in 79 balls, 12x4s, 3x6s).
Scores:
West Indies U19s 320 for 8 in 50 overs (Adrian Weir 32, Joshua Dorne 56, Jordan Johnson 105, Mavendra Dindyal 22, Tarrique Edward 53n.o.; Sineth Jayawardene 4/36)
Sri Lanka U19s 125 all out in 30.5 overs (Dinura Kalupahana 18, Malsha Tharupathi 51, Vihas Thewmika 17n.o.; Nathan Edward 2/17, Deshawn James 3/30, Isai Thorne 3/18)
Latest News
DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country.
Preparations have been moved to Belgium amid the upsurge, which is thought to have killed more than 130 people.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has called the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern”, but said it was not at pandemic level.
Jerry Kalemo, a spokesperson for the national football team, told international media that pre-tournament games in Europe would go ahead as planned, as the squad gears up for their first World Cup since 1974.
DR Congo are due to play friendly matches against Denmark, on 3 June in Belgium, and Chile, on 9 June in Spain, ahead of the World Cup finals.
A spokesperson for the DR Congo team told the Reuters news agency that the squad’s training camp had been cancelled due to travel restrictions imposed by the US, who are hosting the World Cup this summer, along with Mexico and Canada.
The US’ public health agency has banned entry from non-Americans who have been in the DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days, in response to the Ebola outbreak
All DR Congo’s players, as well as the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside the central African country and will therefore not be affected by the restrictions now the training camp has been cancelled.
The high-profile event in Kinshasa was supposed to have been attended by fans, along with DR Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi, according to Reuters.
Kinshasa is roughly 1,800 km (1,120m) away from the eastern Ituri province, the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak. There have not yet been any reported cases in the city.
On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people were thought to have died, out of 600 suspected cases. However, on the same day, Congolese health minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.
(BBC Sports)
Latest News
Alice Capsey 74 not out blazes trail in seven-wicket England win
England started the final phase of their World Cup preparations with a convincing seven-wicket win in the first T20I against New Zealand as Alice Capsey embraced her role at the top of the order with a fine half-century.
Batting in unfamiliar territory as an opener, Capsey took control in England’s pursuit of a modest target of 137 with a 51-ball 74 not out in which she cut, drove and at times muscled her way to three sixes and seven fours, seeing her side home with 16 balls to spare.
Playing their first T20I for 10 months and missing captain Nat Sciver-Brunt to a calf injury, England were sharper in the field and their bowlers were on top from the start, from Lauren Bell’s wicket with the first ball of the match to Linsey Smith’s excellent figures of 1 for 10 from four overs including 15 dot balls.
Freya Kemp bowled for the first time in nearly 16 months as she increases her workloads following a back injury ahead of the T20 World Cup, with two wicketless overs conceding 16 runs, and she later supported Capsey with an unbeaten 31 off 20 balls. Charlie Dean, standing in for Sciver-Brunt as captain, as she did during the drawn ODI series, also took two wickets.
Collectively they tied down the reigning T20 world champions, who apart from Sophie Devine’s 22-ball 45 and a late 36-run stand off 33 balls for the sixth wicket between Maddy Green and Izzy Sharp, couldn’t get going. Suzie Bates dropped to No. 9 as the White Ferns continue to plan for life beyond her retirement after the T20 World Cup. But she didn’t get a chance to bat as Jess Kerr was run out off the last ball of the innings with her side 136 for 7.
With Danni Wyatt-Hodge on leave for the birth of her first child, Capsey was promoted from No. 3 and it was regular opener Sophia Dunkley who fell first, looping a Jess Kerr delivery to Sharp at point. Capsey settled nicely, bookending a thumping six over long-on with fours off Jess Kerr’s third over.
Bree Illing flattened Maia Bouchier’s middle stump to put England at 39 for 2 at the end of the powerplay but Capsey was in fine touch. She picked the gaps perfectly and even when she didn’t her shots had enough on them to beat the fielders. She brought up England’s fifty with a backward cut through short third, where Illing was stationed but couldn’t stop it. She moved to 49 with an authoritative cut for four off Illing and brought up her half-century off 43 deliveries two balls later with a single smacked past the bowler. Fittingly, Capsey raised the winning runs with back-to-back fours.
Bell, the sole specialist seamer in England’s XI, struck first ball, nailing her length just outside off as Georgia Plimmer chopped onto middle stump. Left-arm spinner Smith had a typically strong start to the powerplay, with a maiden first up. Then, with the first ball of the next over, she picked up the big wicket of Melie Kerr, who tried to clear mid-off only to find the towering Bell stretching to take a sharp overhead catch.
Izzy Gaze had come in at the top of the order instead of Bates, as was the case during New Zealand’s home series with South Africa in March. But Dean put an end to that piece of future-proofing when she bowled Gaze for 12 off 19 trying to break the shackles by advancing down the pitch, the ball turning just enough to slide under the swing and clip the top of middle and leg.
<h2 Devine started her final tour of England in vintage style, reminding onlookers of what they will be missing when she retires after next month’s T20 World Cup. She spent the final over of the powerplay, Sophie Ecclestone’s first, smoking the ball for three sixes over the leg-side boundary, which had been brought in considerably but needn’t have been, such was Devine’s power and timing.</h2
Devine hit back-to-back fours off Kemp, bowling for the first time since the Ashes in January 2025. Devine was lucky to get away with the second, smashed down the ground, but while Dani Gibson did well to get a hand to it running round from deep midwicket, she couldn’t hold on. Another maximum for Devine, off Dean this time, had her on 40 off just 18 but Gibson bowled her soon after with one that stayed low and clipped the bails.
Brief scores:
England Women 140 for 3 in 17.2 overs (Alice Capsey 74*, Heather Knight 19, Freya Kemp 31*; Jess Kerr 1-46, Bree Illing 2-19) beat New Zealand Women 136 for 7 in 20 overs (Isabella Gaze 12, Sophie Devine 45, Brooke Halliday 14, Maddy Green 23, Izzy Sharp 26*; Lauren Bell 2-23, Linsey Smith 1-10, Dani Gibson 1-21, Charlie Deen 2-29) by seven wickets
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
Kolkata Knight Riders keep their IPL campaign alive with low-scoring win
Kolkata Khnight Riders kept alive their hopes of an unlikely playoff spot with their sixth win in their last seven games after having stayed winless in the first six. Their tall seamers Cameron Green and Saurabh Dubey took out two Mumbai Indians batters each in the powerplay before their spin twins turned the screw in on a pitch with both seam movement and turn.
Chasing 148, KKR lost three wickets early, but a couple of 40s from Manish Pandey and Rovman Powell were enough to break the back of the chase. KKR still needed to win their last match against Delhi Capitals and hope two other results go their way, but the win kept their dream alive for at least one more night.
KKR have been the second-stingiest side of the tournament, but they haven’t been especially quick with their wicket-taking. Not even once had they taken more than two wickets in the powerplay coming into this match. Then they won the toss on a pitch that had stayed under covers because of rains and chose to unleash their tall quicks, but not before the almost customary first over from left-arm spinner Anukul Roy.
Immediately both drew some seam movement and some extra bounce. Stifled after first two overs went for just 10, both Ryan Rickelton and Rohit Sharma tried big hits. Rohit launched one into the stands, but Rickelton skied one for Pandey to take his second excellent catch of the season at backward point, this time controlling the swirling ball. Green then went past the outside edge of Naman Dhir two balls in a row before kissing the edge with an outswinger to send him back for a three-ball duck.
Green was in action in the next over, running back and to his right for 33 metres to take over his shoulder a skier from Rohit. The ball was full enough, but there was some seam and some extra bounce to take the big edge. Suryakumar Yadav made perhaps his best start of this IPL, but then Dubey went round the wicket to cramp him up with some seam movement back in and had him playing on for 15 off six balls.
On either side of a one-hour rain break, Tilak Varma and Hardik Pandya combined for the worst strike rate for Nos 5 and 6 in an IPL innings when both played at least 20 balls. It wasn’t for want of trying. Sunil Narine and a hobbling Varun Chakravarthy were just too good on a surface with turn available for them. Varun nearly got Tilak caught and bowled but was put off by the wicketkeeper Angkrish Raghuvanshi charging towards him. The catch went down, and Raghuvanshi ended up with a concussion.
However, it didn’t hurt KKR too much as Kartik Tyagi had Tilak caught on the pull despite only a 59-metre boundary to clear. Narine was not to be denied for long as he zipped through Hardik to get him out for the first time in T20 cricket, bowled middle stump.
Will Jacks ran himself out trying to steal a second having hit straight to Rinku Singh at deep cover, but Corbin Bosch’s 32 off 18 took MI to 147.
Finn Allen made a threatening start, crashing Deepak Chahar through square cover for two fours, but then he ended the over playing Chahar on. Then we had a rare partnership. Jasprit Bumrah, only three wickets to his name this IPL, had never taken the wicket of either Ajinkya Rahane or Pandey despite bowling more than 40 balls to each. Forget the wicket, the duo caressed him for three fours in his first over.
The inconsistent Bosch, though, somehow kept MI in the hunt with the wickets of Rahane and Green. The delivery to Rahane was a beautiful length ball that seamed away and bounced extra, but it came after an ordinary start of nine off the first three balls. Then he had Green hitting a ball drifting down leg straight down the throat of long leg.At 54 for 3 in 7.1 overs, missing Raghuvanshi, KKR were in a bit of jeopardy, but the asking rate wasn’t alarming and there was appreciable amount of dew hampering the bowlers. On top of that, Bosch bowled the first ball to Powell down leg, which he deposited deep into the stands. Pandey’s touch play and Powell’s power constantly kept running away from MI only to be helped along the way by fielding errors.
Hardik drew a top edge from Powell, but this was Chahar’s turn to be put off at fine leg by deep square leg running towards him should there be a rebound to be taken. In the end, neither went for the catch. In the next over, Bosch wrong-footed himself at slip as Powell went for a hard cut off Raghu Sharma.
Bumrah had his own back with a beauty to burst through the gap between Pandey’s bat and pad, getting 1.8-degree seam movement with a 15-over-old ball, but KKR now needed only 30 off 30. And even though Bosch took a stunner at backward point to send Powell back, Rinku and Roy saw the nervy chase through with seven balls to spare.
Brief scores:
Kolkata Knight Riders 148 for 6 in 18.5 overs (Ajinkya Rahane 21, Manish Pandey 45, Rovman Powell 40, Tejasvi Dahiya 11; Deepak Chahar 1-23, Jasprit Bumrah 1-26, Corbin Bosch 3-30, AM Ghazanfar 1-25) beat Mumbai Indians 147 for 8 in 20 overs (Rohit Sharma 15, Suryakumar Yadav 15, Tilak Varma 20, Hardik Pandya 26, Will Jacks 14, Corbin Bosch 32*, Deepak Chahar 10; Cameron Green 2-23, Saurabh Dubey 2-34, Kartik Tyagi 2-37, Sunil Narine 1-13) by four wickets
[Cricinfo]
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
Features7 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
