Connect with us

Business

Sri Lanka likely to revert to US$ 400mn foreign currency swap with India

Published

on

The Sri Lanka-RBI swap deal came under the facilities available to SAARC countries in 2020.

Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL) would return to a $400 million foreign currency swap with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) as part of Sri Lanka’s measures to boost the foreign reserves hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, New Delhi Television (NDTV) reported on Friday.

Accordingly, Central Bank Governor Professor W D Lakshman said the country could draw down on the USD 400 million foreign exchange swap with the RBI in August 2021.

Sri Lanka originally signed the swap deal available to SAARC countries in 2020 and repaid it in February 2021 after rolling it over once. On February 1, the Sri Lankan Central Bank settled the USD 400 million currency swap facility from the RBI. Central Bank Governor Lakshman said hence the same swap could be obtained after August.

The Sri Lanka-RBI swap deal came under the facilities available to SAARC countries in 2020. A few weeks back, Sri Lanka entered a 200 million dollar swap with the Bangladesh central bank. According to the Governor, the signing of the agreement for the Bangladesh swap would happen soon.

Sri Lanka has to pay a billion US dollar sovereign bond in July 2020. Sri Lanka reported just above 4.4 billion US dollars of reserves in May 2021. COVID-19 struck Sri Lanka in March 2020, putting its foreign reserves under strain as tourism, worker remittances and exports were badly hit since then.

The SAARC currency swap framework came into operation on November 15, 2012, to provide a backstop line of funding for short term foreign exchange liquidity requirements or short-term balance of payments stress till longer term arrangements are made.

The facility is available to all SAARC member countries, subject to their signing the bilateral swap agreements, NDTV said.

 

 

 

 



Business

Lanka’s largest solar park set to transform energy landscape and local economy in Hambantota

Published

on

A new era in Sri Lanka’s renewable energy is unfolding in the Gonnoruwa Division of Hambantota District, where construction has begun on the country’s largest solar power park. Spanning 450 acres and designed to generate 150 megawatts (MW) of electricity, the US$150 million private-sector-led project is poised to become a cornerstone of the nation’s sustainable energy ambitions.

Officials say the solar park, guided by the Sustainable Energy Authority and the Mahaweli Authority, will make its first contribution to the national grid by the end of this year, with full capacity expected by 2026. Once completed, the facility will rank among Sri Lanka’s largest renewable energy installations, second only to the 210 MW Victoria Dam and the 150 MW Upper Kotmale hydropower project.

The initiative is being framed as a strategic response to recurring power cuts in the Southern Province during annual drought periods. With a projected 20% contribution to the country’s daytime electricity demand, the solar park is expected to significantly stabilize the grid, reduce reliance on fossil fuels, and contribute to the country’s renewable energy targets.

Project Engineer Thilanka Bandara confirmed that preliminary land preparation and boundary works have been completed, with 50 MW already feeding into the national grid. The investment, fully funded through foreign direct investment, local bank loans, and equity capital, requires no government funding. Two private firms are sharing the development, contributing 70 MW and 80 MW respectively.

Bandara highlighted a unique feature of the project: the transmission infrastructure, estimated at US$16 million, is entirely financed by the investors, marking a departure from conventional grid-connected projects. The park will also employ state-of-the-art ground-mounted solar technology, considered the most advanced currently deployed in Sri Lanka.

In a first for Sri Lanka, the solar panels will be installed five feet above the ground, allowing partial-shade crops to be cultivated underneath. Technical Officer Sithmina Bandara explained that this setup will enable the cultivation of food plants such as mushrooms, which thrive in shaded conditions, creating a model for integrated solar-agriculture systems. Agricultural experts have already provided guidance on implementing this initiative, which combines energy production with local food security.

The project is expected to generate 750 to 1,000 direct and indirect jobs, with 400–500 already employed in the initial phase. Long-term maintenance work will provide further employment opportunities, offering a substantial economic boost to the Hambantota region. Environmental management measures are also in place to prevent elephants from entering nearby villages, ensuring harmony between development and wildlife.

All necessary approvals and permits were obtained by February 2025, aligning the project with the Ceylon Electricity Board’s national generation plan. Officials confirmed that upon completion, the total output of the Solar Energy Park will rise to 200 MW, combining existing installations with the new 150 MW facility.

Experts say the Hambantota solar park represents more than just a power generation project. Its innovative design, private-sector financing, and integrated agricultural approach position it as a template for future renewable energy projects in Sri Lanka, reflecting a new model of sustainable development that balances energy, economy, and environment.

By Sirimanta Ratnasekera

Continue Reading

Business

ESU Kandy clinches dominant victory at ‘Battle of Esoftians’

Published

on

The Battle of Esoftians, an annual cricket encounter organized by ESOFT Uni Kandy, concluded with a spectacular display of cricketing prowess as the Kandy team secured a massive 245-run victory over ESOFT Metro Campus, Kurunegala. The match was held on the 15th at the University of Peradeniya Grounds.

Winning the toss and electing to bat first, the ESOFT Uni Kandy batsmen dominated the field from the outset. They showcased an explosive batting performance, posting a formidable total of 280 runs for the loss of 5 wickets in their allotted 20 overs.

In response, the Kurunegala ESOFT Metro team struggled against a disciplined bowling attack. The Kandy bowlers dismantled the opposition’s batting lineup, bowling them all out for a mere 35 runs, sealing a historic win for the Kandy campus.

The event was graced by the presence of key officials from the ESOFT management: Amila Bandara – Chief Operating Officer (ESOFT Uni), Dimuthu Thammitage – General Manager (Central Region), Lakpriya Weerasinghe – Deputy General Manager, ?Lahiru Diyalagoda

Centre Manager-Degree Division, ESOFT Metro Campus Kurunegala and Dushantha Sandaruwan – Master in Charge (ESU Kandy Cricket Club)

Team Lineups

ESOFT Uni Kandy (Winners)

Chamath Ekanayake (Captain), Dinuka Tennakoon (Vice Captain), Dushantha Sandaruwan (MIC), Chalitha Rathnayake, Pulasthi Bandara, Isuru Dehigama, Kesara Nuragoda, Aadhil Sherif, Isuru Pannala, Achintha Medawatta, Ahamed Shukri, Gowtham Hari Dharshan, Danushka Sahan, Eranda Bandara, and Damith Dissanayake.

ESOFT Metro Campus Kurunegala (Runners-up)

Adeesha Samarasekara, Savishan Madusha, Lahiru Diyalagoda, Hirun Damayantha, Naveen Madushanka, Daham Pothuwewa, Senuda Thewnaka, M.R. Abdulla, Arunodya Dasun, Mohamad Afri, Desith Perera, Lasitha Ranawaka, Anton Dilon, Shenuka Thirantha, and Kavindu Bandara.

Text and Pix By S.K. Samaranayake

Continue Reading

Business

HNB joins Royal–Thomian “Battle of the Blues” as official banking partner

Published

on

HNB Vice President Marketing & Corporate Communications, Upul Adikari, together with HNB, Brand Manager, Ishara Thilakarathne, presents the Official Banking Partner sponsorship cheque to St. Thomas’ College, Warden, Asanka Perera and Royal College Principal Athula Wijewardana, in the presence of the Co-Chairs of the Royal–Thomian Match Organizing Committee and captains from both teams.

HNB PLC, Sri Lanka’s leading private sector bank, has joined as the Official Banking Partner for the 147th edition of the historic “Battle of the Blues,” the Royal–Thomian cricket encounter between Royal College, Colombo, and S. Thomas’ College, Mt. Lavinia. Commenting on the partnership, HNB’s Managing Director/CEO Damith Pallewatte highlighted the bank’s long-standing connection with cricket, including sponsorship of Sri Lanka’s first Test match against England in 1982, and emphasized HNB’s commitment to nurturing young talent and promoting school cricket. The three-day clash for the Rt. Hon. D. S. Senanayake Memorial Shield will take place from March 12–14 at the SSC Grounds, with the Mustangs Trophy one-day match following on March 28 under lights. HNB’s inaugural involvement marks a milestone in the bank’s sports marketing journey, strengthening its role in the school cricket ecosystem. The bank will enhance the spectator experience by introducing digital and cashless banking solutions, modernizing the event while preserving its rich heritage and sporting tradition.

Continue Reading

Trending