Connect with us

News

Sampanthan’s remains to be brought to Parliament complex Messages of condolence pour in from far and wide

Published

on

R Sampanthan

Prime Minister Dinesh Gunawardena said that arrangements had been made for the remains of TNA leader and former Opposition Leader MP R Sampanthan to be brought to the Parliament’s Ceremonial Hall from 2 pm to 4 pm tomorrow (3).

The PM said the final rites of Sampanthan would be held in Trincomalee.

Sampanthan passed away at the age of 91 while receiving treatment at a private hospital in Colombo on Sunday night. Born in 1933, Sampanthan won the Trincomalee seat at the 1977 General Election. Over the years, he served as an MP during various terms, including from 1977 to 1983 and 1997 to 2000. He was a lawyer.

Sampanthan held the position of the 14th Opposition Leader in the Sri Lankan Parliament, and was also a member of Parliament, serving from 2001 until his demise.

Sampanthan became the second Tamil Opposition Leader in Sri Lanka’s parliamentary history. The first was Appapillai Amirthalingam.

Messages of condolence have been pouring in.

“My deepest condolences on the passing of TNA Leader R. Sampanthan. He was an old friend and colleague and we shared many a days discussing various issues. His demise is a loss to Sri Lanka political fraternity and may his family and friends overcome this sad loss,” said former President Mahinda Rajapaksa on X.

“Today, we mourn the loss of Mr. Sampanthan, who served Sri Lanka for over half a century. His dedication to win equal rights for all Sri Lankans is a beacon of hope. His fair and just leadership will continue to inspire me and many others. Truly, it is the end of an era,” said Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also issued a message of condolence on X.

“My deepest condolences to the family and friends of veteran TNA leader R. Sampanthan. Will always cherish fond memories of meetings with him. He relentlessly pursued a life of peace, security, equality, justice and dignity for the Tamil nationals of Sri Lanka. He will be deeply missed by his friends and followers in Sri Lanka and India,” said Narendra Modi.

“Deeply saddened to hear about the passing away of Sri Lankan Tamil leader R. Sampanthan. Recall my many meetings and conversations with him over several decades. He dedicated his entire life fighting for the equality, dignity and justice for Tamils in Sri Lanka. Condolences to his family and followers,” said Indian External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar.

“Deeply saddened at the demise of TNA leader R. Sampanthan. Met and interacted with him on many occasions. He will be remembered for his seminal contribution to the Sri Lankan Tamil cause and for his goodwill towards India. Heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones,” said Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, Santosh Jha.

“Deeply saddened to hear of the passing of MP R. Sampanthan, a veteran Tamil politician who worked to create a cohesive, peaceful society within Sri Lanka. His advocacy for equal rights for minorities helped advance broader human rights for all Sri Lankan citizens, and encouraged unity. On behalf of the United States, I extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and loved ones,” said US Ambassador to Sri Lanka Julie Chung



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending