Connect with us

News

‘Runaway cost of living: Govt. rendered itself impotent by doing away with price controls’

Published

on

Ex-CAA official: “Trade, Consumer Protection ministries reduced to nameboards’

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Co-operative Services, Marketing Development and Consumer Protection State Minister Lasantha Alagiyawanna said that the government could not interfere with the Milk Food Importers’ Association decision to increase the prices of imported powdered milk.

The SLFPer pointed out that price control on imported milk food had been done away with in early November. Therefore, the Consumer Protection Ministry couldn’t interfere with their decision, the Gampaha District lawmaker said, adding he was informed of the price increase.

MP Alagiyawanna said so when The Island sought his response to the Milk Food Importers’ Association announcement on Thursday (30) as regards the price increase with effect from Dec 30 midnight. According to their spokesperson Asoka Bandara, the price of a kilo of packeted milk powder would cost Rs 1,345 and 400 grammes pack Rs 540.

State Minister Alagiyawanna said that a kilo of imported milk powder and 400 grammes pack had cost Rs. 1,195 and Rs 480 before.

State Minister Jayantha Samaraweera on behalf of the National Freedom Front (NFF) recently urged the government to re-impose price controls or face the consequences. Lawmaker Samaraweera alleged that duty concessions that had been granted to various importers, including the Milk Food Importers’ Association didn’t benefit the consumers. The Kalutara District MP cited the reduction of duty on imported sugar in Oct 2020 as a case in point.

Having imposed emergency regulations that had been imposed on Aug. 30, 2021 to prevent hoarding and the termination of the Office of Commissioner General of Essential Services, the government on Nov 04, 2021 removed the retail price cap on several essential commodities through a gazette notification. The retail prices of dhal, sugar, sprats, green gram, potatoes, big onions, canned fish, chickpeas, wheat flour, full cream milk powder, dried fish, coconut, chicken and maize were removed.

The new gazette notification has also removed the maximum price limit of Rs. 1,500 for a 400g packet of sausages and Rs. 1,500 for a kg of mackerel. In addition to that the Special Commodity Levy of Rs.65 per kg of imported rice has been reduced to 25 cents for the next six months.

As per the powers vested in terms of the section 2 of the Public Security Ordinance, President Rajapaksa declared emergency regulations formulated as per the section 5 on essential food supply, with effect from midnight August 30, 2021.

Authority (CAA) Thushan Gunawardena questioned the justification of maintaining the Consumer Protection Ministry as well as the CAA at the taxpayers’ expense in the absence of what he called price control mechanism. “Consumers are fleeced. The government brazenly provides tacit support to unscrupulous business enterprises. On one hand, duty concessions are granted. And on the other hand price controls are done away with. The hapless public has no protection at all,” Gunawardena said.

The cabinet minister in charge of trade Bandula Gunawardena and State Minister of Consumer Protection Alagiyawanna should quit because they were jobless, Gunawardena said adding that there had never been a previous instance of any particular government altogether abolishing price controls.

Outspoken ex-official Gunawardena said that the appointment of a senior serving army officer Maj. Gen. M. D. S. P Niwunhella as Commissioner General of Essential Services for a short period was nothing but a joke. Gunawardena pointed out that having targeted some of those who hoarded sugar and rice and promised an uninterrupted supply of essential items at a reasonable price, the government had done away with price controls, abolished the Office of Essential Services and reduced the trade and consumer protection ministries to just name boards.

Responding to another query, Gunawardena pointed out that the recent media statements that had been attributed to State Minister Samaraweera revealed that the government had done away with price controls without consultations with constituents of the ruling coalition. “In fact, the current dispensation does not seem to believe in proper consultations as regards any matter. There cannot be a better example than the Yugadanavi Power plant share sale agreement,” Gunawardena said.

Asked what the government would do in case the Milk Food Importers’ Association exploited the consumers, State Minister Alagiyawanna said that the government could always resort to price controls. Asked to explain, the lawmaker said that in the case of milk food prices, before the association decided on Rs 150 per kilo increase, it was sold at Rs 1,195. “We are in a position to ascertain how the world market prices as well as shipping charges are impacting on imports,” MP Alagiyawanna said.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

“Investments in Professional Education Are Investments in Institutional Strength and National Progress” – PM

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that strengthening Sri Lanka’s professional education framework and aligning it with internationally recognised standards is essential to building a skilled, ethical, and globally competitive workforce.

The Prime Minister made these remarks while addressing the official launch of the QS-accredited Chartered Qualification in Human Resource Management (CQHRM) at SCQF Level 11 (New Syllabus), organised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) Sri Lanka under the theme New Heights of Recognition. The event was held on Wednesday, 18 February at the Cinnamon Life, Colombo.

Emphasising the importance of expanding professional and vocational education pathways, the Prime Minister stated:

“This is of crucial importance to us in broadening our educational pathways and opportunities. We need to increase access to education that is globally recognised and that offers multiple pathways in professional and vocational fields. This aligns closely with the reform process we have initiated in the education sector and with our commitment to lifelong learning where individuals can work and learn at the same time, and where education is not limited to a particular age group but continues throughout life.”

Highlighting Sri Lanka’s national priorities, the Prime Minister further observed:

“At a time when Sri Lanka is focused on economic recovery, institutional reform and sustainable growth, the need for competent and ethical human resource leadership is clear. A competitive economy depends not only on investment and infrastructure but also on skilled professionals who can lead institutions effectively.”

The Prime Minister noted that the QS accreditation of the CQHRM qualification strengthens international recognition of Sri Lankan human resource professionals, enhances professional progression pathways, and reinforces confidence in the country’s professional education system. She also underscored the role of human resource leadership in advancing equity and inclusion within workplaces, including fair recruitment practices, safe working environments, leadership development for women, and inclusive policies for persons with disabilities and neurodivergent individuals.

Addressing the future of work, the Prime Minister stressed the importance of preparing for rapid technological transformation, including the growing impact of artificial intelligence on industries and workforce management, encouraging institutions to proactively adapt to emerging demands.

The event was attended by Deputy Minister of Industry and Entrepreneurship Development, Chathuranga Abeysinghe, along with other distinguished guests.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Advisory for Severe Lightning issued to the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts

Published

on

By

Advisory for Severe Lightning
Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre  at 12.00 noon 19 February 2026 valid for the period until 11.00 p.m. 19 February 2026

The public are warned that thundershowers accompanied with severe lightning are likely to occur at some places in in the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts after 2.00 p.m.

There may be temporary localized strong winds during thundershowers.

General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.

ACTION REQUIRED:

The Department of Meteorology advises that people should:
 Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
 Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
 Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
 Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
 Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
 For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.

Continue Reading

News

Navy and Coast Guard seize 04 Indian fishing vessels poaching in Sri Lankan waters

Published

on

By

During operations conducted in the dark hours of 18 Feb 26, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard seized 04 Indian fishing boats and apprehended 22 Indian fishermen, while they were poaching in Sri Lankan waters north of Mannar and off the Delft Island, Jaffna.

Recognizing the detrimental effects of poaching on marine resources and the livelihoods of local fishing communities, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard continue to conduct regular operations as proactive measures to deter such activities. These efforts underscore the collective robust approach and steadfast commitment to safeguarding the nation’s marine ecosystems while ensuring the economic security and wellbeing of its citizens.

The 02 fishing boats along with the 10 fishermen held in Mannar were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Mannar and the remaining 02 fishing boats intercepted off the Delft Island, together with 12 Indian fishermen were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Myliddy for onward legal proceedings.

Continue Reading

Trending