News
Prez talks of referendum, rules out ‘national’ govt., slams Premjayantha
… Says he doesn’t serve with eye on elections
By Shamindra Ferdinando
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has claimed that a youth recently inquired from him why a referendum couldn’t be conducted to ascertain whether the electorate approved him extending his first term by two years as Covid-19 deprived him of 2020 and 2021.
President Rajapaksa said so addressing an event to mark the naming of Siyambalanduwa Maha Vidyalaya, Moneragala, as a national school last Friday.
The last presidential election was held in Nov 2019. In terms of the 19th Amendment, enacted in 2015, the next presidential election is scheduled for 2025. The 19th Amendment restricted both parliamentary and presidential terms to five years each whereas they were six years previously.
A statement issued by the President’s Media Division (PMD) quoted President Rajapaksa as having told the gathering that the youth had approached him when he recently visited the Dalada Maligawa. President Rajapaksa has told the youth that he should be appointed an advisor to the President.
Declaring that the people realised difficulties, President Rajapaksa has emphasised the responsibility on the part of the government to explain the real situation to them.
Reiterating his commitment to fulfiling his promises at the presidential election, President Rajapaksa vowed to achieve his targets during the next three years.
Sri Lanka has had only one referendum (1982).
Referring to stripping of Susil Premjayantha of his portfolios on 04 January, two days after the veteran politician flayed the government over severe difficulties experienced by the public, President Rajapaksa stressed that the lawmaker concerned couldn’t absolve his responsibilities by blaming others.
The sacked Colombo District MP found fault with Trade Minister Bandula Gunawardena and Agriculture Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage as well as those who took utterly irresponsible policy decisions. MP Premjayantha declared that the situation was so bad that it was too late to take remedial measures. The one-time SLFP General Secretary asserted that the government had caused irreparable damage.
Commending the armed forces for what he called the constructive role played by them, President Rajapaksa strongly criticized both officials and members of Parliament. The President said that when inquiries were made as regards responsibility pertaining to some work, some conveniently pointed the finger at the State Minister, who in turn claimed it was in the sphere of the cabinet minister. The President said: “Sometimes, they say the issue at hand came under Provincial Councils. Officials say they are hindered by laws.”
President Rajapaksa said that he had to strip Premjayantha of his portfolios as he faulted the government. “If the lawmaker alleged that the government was wrong, he, too, should accept responsibility,” President Rajapaksa said, declaring that all ruling party members of Parliament were collectively responsible for the government.
The government parliamentary group consists of 145 members, including National List MPs. Of whom, 117 represent the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), the main constituent of the ruling coalition.
Premjayantha was sworn in as State Minister of Education Reforms, Promotion of Open Universities and Distance Learning on August 26, 2021. President Rajapaksa offered the ministry to Premjayantha after Wijeyadasa Rajapaksa rejected it.
President Rajapaksa said that he wouldn’t form a government with a section of the Opposition to overcome the restrictions imposed on the number of ministers and State and Deputy Ministers. Pointing out that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution limited the number of cabinet and State/Deputy Ministers to 30 and 40, respectively, President Rajapaksa said that though all wanted cabinet portfolios he was not in a position to appease them.
There is provision for breaking the limits in case the ruling party forms government with the Opposition.
President Rajapaksa said that those who really wanted to serve the people didn’t require portfolios. Urging both members of parliament, including the Opposition and the public service to support good work undertaken by the government, President Rajapaksa emphasized that he didn’t serve with an eye on elections.
President Rajapaksa called for the steady support of the public service during the remaining three years.
Commenting on what he called the successful fight against the Covid-19, President Rajapaksa declared that there was no alternative but vaccination. The President appealed for those who hadn’t received the booster jab to visit the nearest vaccination centre.
President Rajapaksa claimed that since the last presidential election Sri Lanka hadn’t obtained any foreign loans. Whatever the reasons, the previous government had obtained loans for, his government was now faced with the daunting task of repaying USD 6.3 bn, annually.
The President expressed the hope that tourism could achieve 400,000 visitors this year thereby doubling earnings in USD to 10 bn. The President said at the time of 2019 Easter Sunday carnage, Sri Lanka received nearly 200,000 visitors. Commenting on the extremely difficult economic conditions, President Rajapaksa explained the steps taken by him to ease pressure on the foreign reserves. The President said that he ordered a ban on vehicle imports, importation of luxury goods as well as a range of food items to save foreign exchange.
News
“Investments in Professional Education Are Investments in Institutional Strength and National Progress” – PM
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that strengthening Sri Lanka’s professional education framework and aligning it with internationally recognised standards is essential to building a skilled, ethical, and globally competitive workforce.
The Prime Minister made these remarks while addressing the official launch of the QS-accredited Chartered Qualification in Human Resource Management (CQHRM) at SCQF Level 11 (New Syllabus), organised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) Sri Lanka under the theme New Heights of Recognition. The event was held on Wednesday, 18 February at the Cinnamon Life, Colombo.
Emphasising the importance of expanding professional and vocational education pathways, the Prime Minister stated:
“This is of crucial importance to us in broadening our educational pathways and opportunities. We need to increase access to education that is globally recognised and that offers multiple pathways in professional and vocational fields. This aligns closely with the reform process we have initiated in the education sector and with our commitment to lifelong learning where individuals can work and learn at the same time, and where education is not limited to a particular age group but continues throughout life.”
Highlighting Sri Lanka’s national priorities, the Prime Minister further observed:
“At a time when Sri Lanka is focused on economic recovery, institutional reform and sustainable growth, the need for competent and ethical human resource leadership is clear. A competitive economy depends not only on investment and infrastructure but also on skilled professionals who can lead institutions effectively.”
The Prime Minister noted that the QS accreditation of the CQHRM qualification strengthens international recognition of Sri Lankan human resource professionals, enhances professional progression pathways, and reinforces confidence in the country’s professional education system. She also underscored the role of human resource leadership in advancing equity and inclusion within workplaces, including fair recruitment practices, safe working environments, leadership development for women, and inclusive policies for persons with disabilities and neurodivergent individuals.
Addressing the future of work, the Prime Minister stressed the importance of preparing for rapid technological transformation, including the growing impact of artificial intelligence on industries and workforce management, encouraging institutions to proactively adapt to emerging demands.
The event was attended by Deputy Minister of Industry and Entrepreneurship Development, Chathuranga Abeysinghe, along with other distinguished guests.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
Latest News
Advisory for Severe Lightning issued to the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts
Advisory for Severe Lightning
Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre at 12.00 noon 19 February 2026 valid for the period until 11.00 p.m. 19 February 2026
The public are warned that thundershowers accompanied with severe lightning are likely to occur at some places in in the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts after 2.00 p.m.
There may be temporary localized strong winds during thundershowers.
General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
ACTION REQUIRED:
The Department of Meteorology advises that people should:
Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
News
Navy and Coast Guard seize 04 Indian fishing vessels poaching in Sri Lankan waters
During operations conducted in the dark hours of 18 Feb 26, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard seized 04 Indian fishing boats and apprehended 22 Indian fishermen, while they were poaching in Sri Lankan waters north of Mannar and off the Delft Island, Jaffna.
Recognizing the detrimental effects of poaching on marine resources and the livelihoods of local fishing communities, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard continue to conduct regular operations as proactive measures to deter such activities. These efforts underscore the collective robust approach and steadfast commitment to safeguarding the nation’s marine ecosystems while ensuring the economic security and wellbeing of its citizens.
The 02 fishing boats along with the 10 fishermen held in Mannar were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Mannar and the remaining 02 fishing boats intercepted off the Delft Island, together with 12 Indian fishermen were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Myliddy for onward legal proceedings.
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
