Connect with us

News

Opp. alleges Speaker disrupts CoPF ahead of vote on CBSL Bill

Published

on

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The Opposition yesterday (08) lambasted Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena for what it called a move to disrupt the Committee on Public Finance (CoPF) ahead of the vote on a Bill titled ‘Central Bank of Sri Lanka.’

Top spokespersons for the Nidahas Janatha Sabhawa (NJS) Prof. G.L. Peiris, MP, and the main Opposition Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP Dr. Harsha de Silva frowned on the indefinite postponement of the appointment of the Chairman of the watchdog committee.

Addressing the media, at the NJS Office, at Nawala, Prof. Peiris flayed the government over the proposal to set up a so-called ‘Independent Budget Office’ for greater scrutiny on public finance, whereas the time-tested apparatus was disrupted. The former External Affairs Minister, and retired top law academic, alleged that the government was hell-bent on disrupting the CoPF. The Opposition raised the issue as knowledgeable people questioned the need for such a set manned by two persons expected to be given wide powers.

The rebel SLPP National List MP said that the denial of the Chairmanship of the CoPF to the Opposition was a serious violation of the Standing Orders of Parliament. The former Minister emphasized that the Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa government wanted to cripple the vital all-party body.

Dr. de Silva declared that the SLPP Speaker postponed the scheduled selection committee meeting to appoint the Chairman of CoPF in spite of it being the only watchdog committee chaired by the Opposition. Responding to The Island queries, the economist said that though the second reading of the Bill, titled ‘Central Bank of Sri Lanka,’ was to take place, CoPF couldn’t peruse it yet, the one-time UNP State Minister said.

The SJB lawmaker warned that yet another pro-tem Chairman would be appointed today (09) to ensure approval for the relevant Bill, ahead of the second reading and vote on May 11.

Alleging that this was an extremely serious violation of Standing Orders, particularly against the backdrop of the sensitive nature of the Bill concerned and economic ruination, Dr. de Silva emphasized that CoPF was the only committee that looks into the future whereas the Committee on Public Accounts (CoPA) and Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) examine past audits.

Both Prof. Peiris and Dr. de Silva alleged that the government disrupted the CoPF at the very beginning of the latest session. Dr. de Silva represented the SJB in the third session of the 9th Parliament though the election of new Chairman following the prorogation with effect from January 27, 2023.

Trouble erupted when the SLPP nominated SJB lawmaker Mayantha Dissanayake as Chairman of CoPF in the fourth week of February, 2023, in spite of the Opposition re-nominating Dr. de Silva. Two days later, National List MP Dissanayake resigned. However, the ruling party nominated the sole UNP National List MP in Parliament, Vajira Abeywardena, as the Acting Chairman, regardless of the Opposition demand that de Silva received the CoPF leadership.

Prof. Peiris said that since then the government prevented the finalization of the appointment though the administration assured the International Monetary Fund (IMF) tangible measures would be taken against waste, corruption, irregularities and mismanagement.

Dr. de Silva alleged that Speaker Abeywardena was pursuing a political agenda at the expense of his duty to ensure the responsibility on the part of Parliament regarding public finance.

Prof. Peiris said that the entire gamut of issues would be taken up with the IMF delegation, expected to visit Colombo in about two weeks. The ex-Minister insisted that the disruption of CoPF couldn’t be justified, under any circumstances.

At the onset of the briefing, Prof. Peiris said that the government was yet to address the issues at hand with an open mind. Instead, the government sought to muddy the waters by calling a vote on the IMF bailout package, the former minister said, declaring that there was no requirement for a vote.

Sri Lanka obtained IMF bailout packages on 16 previous occasions. Prof. Peiris stressed that in spite of Parliament approving the agreement with the IMF (120 voting for and 25 against), a future government would definitely seek to renegotiate it. The ex-minister repeated concerns over the restructuring of domestic debt and its impact on the EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund). According to him, the Opposition was contemplating the possibility of taking legal action to prevent the government from laying its hands on EPF funds.



News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending