Connect with us

News

Foreign firefighting tugs rush in to save vessel carrying chemical cargo

Published

on

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The owners of the ill-fated container ship on fire, MV X-Press Pearl, have sought the services of ‘Smit Salvors’, which helped disentagle a giant container ship that ran aground in the Suez Canal recently.

Firefighting tugs, ‘Posh Teal’ and ‘Salwar’ arrived in Sri Lankan waters on Friday night and Saturday (23). Well informed sources said that foreign assistance had been enlisted as Sri Lanka lacked capacity to fight the fire.

The stricken vessel operated by the world’s largest feeder operator-X-Press Feeders is anchored nine nautical miles north west of the Colombo harbour. It is carrying chemicals.

X-Press Feeders took delivery of the 2,700 TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit) vessel in February. Authoritative sources said that Sri Lanka lacked fully equipped platforms to fight a fire of that magnitude therefore foreign expertise was promptly sought. World renowned Smit Salvors refloated the 20,000 TEU container vessel Ever Given wedged in the Suez Canal, blocking the vital shipping route both ways.

The vessel registered under the Singaporean flag carrying 1,486 containers, with 25 tonnes of nitric acid, several other chemicals and cosmetics was in anchorage when a fire erupted in a container stacked on its deck.

The vessel that left port of Hazira, India, on 15 May was on her way to Singapore via Colombo.

The Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) deployed two chartered tugs ‘Hercules’ and ‘Posh Hardy’ in addition to ‘Mahawewa’-all three owned by Sri Lanka Shipping Company Limited before the arrival of foreign vessels. Sources said SLPA owned ‘Megha’ a dedicated firefighting vessel couldn’t spearhead the effort as it was not properly equipped to undertake the task. Until the arrival of the foreign tugs, three local tugs were employed to reduce the heat in surrounding containers as the fire continued.

Both Sri Lanka Navy and the Coast Guard too lack proper firefighting capacity.

The Navy headquarters said SLNS Sindurala and a Fast Attack Craft were deployed at the scene of action to assist the ongoing firefighting efforts. The Navy also made a Navy Tug ready for immediate deployment in the event of any emergency.

Well informed sources said that the latest incident in Sri Lankan waters was a reminder that the country required sufficient firefighting capacity to face emerging challenges. Combating a fire on a ship was a high risk task that should be handled by experts. Sources pointed out battling a fire on a container carrier carrying chemical was especially a daunting challenge.

Responding to The Island queries, sources said that the SLAF in spite of inclement weather had dropped 425 kgs of dry chemical powder on the vessel on May 21 as part of the overall efforts to contain the fire. Perhaps, the government would examine the shortcomings in this sector at least now, sources said, adding that the country needed to acquire and sustain firefighting capability as efforts were made to attract more shipping.



Latest News

President appoints committee to submit recommendations to the Government on the new US tariff system

Published

on

By

President Anura Kumara Disanayake appointed a committee to conduct an in-depth study on potential issues that may arise due to the new reciprocal tariff system introduced by US President Donald Trump and to submit recommendations to the government.

Accordingly, the committee includes the Secretary to the Ministry of Finance, the Governor of the Central Bank, the Chairman of the Board of Investment of Sri Lanka, the Chairman of the Sri Lanka Export Development Board and the Director General of Economic Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Additionally, Senior Economic Advisor to the President Duminda Hulugamuwa, Chief Economic Policy Advisor to the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce Shiran Fernando, as well as Ashroff Omar, Sherad Amalean and Saif Jafferjee have also been appointed to the committee.

Continue Reading

News

EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Published

on

EJP spokesman Theekshana

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.

The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.

The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.

The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.

The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field

Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.

The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Published

on

Former Chief Minister of the North Central Province S.M. Ranjith and his brother S.M. Chandrasena’s wife Shanthi being taken to the prison vehicle after the Colombo High Court sentenced them to 16 years rigorous imprisonment. (Pix by Sujatha Jayaratne)

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.

The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.

They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.

S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.

Continue Reading

Trending