News
Ex-diplomat alleges Australian aid project sabotaged, points finger at Medical Supplies Division
By Shamindra Ferdinando
One-time Surveyor General Michael de Silva, who served as Sri Lanka High Commissioner in Australia (2004-2007) says in spite of begging for medicine and medical equipment, the health ministry sabotaged ongoing Australian Medical Aid Programme meant to assist state-run hospitals.
Declaring that under the programme launched 15 years ago, 102 forty foot container loads of medical equipment worth over Rs. 2,000 mn had been provided to government hospitals, an irate De Silva alleged that the Medical Supplies Division (MSD) brazenly undermined the project by failing to clear a 40 foot container sent last May.
The philanthropist who had donated a three storey building to Maharagama ‘Apeksha’ hospital over a decade ago in addition to an OPD for the Eye Hospital, Colombo and an additional ward for Anuradhapura hospital said he lodged a complaint with the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) as the failure on the part of the MSD was deliberate.
De Silva, who had served as Sri Lanka Ambassador to China before being moved to Canberra said that in a letter dated Sept. 14, 2022, he informed Health Minister Keheliya Rambukwella of how the MSD hindered the project implemented at no cost to bankrupt Sri Lanka.
Minister Rambukwella said that he was aware of the issues raised by the former High Commissioner. According to him, soon after he received the health portfolio, 52 beds were received under this programme. There had been some defects in some of them, Minister Rambukwella said, adding that they were rectified and the entire lot was made available to the hospitals in the Kandy region. The minister assured he would look into the matter.
The retired non-career diplomat and Vice President of Federation of Sri Lanka Organizations in Australia William Deutrom, also involved in the project told The Island how the MSD worked overtime to discourage those who voluntarily helped the country. “We didn’t expect anything in return,” Deutrom said, alleging the clearing of the container carrying 48 special beds had been delayed deliberately to cause heavy demurrage.
According to them, Minister Rambukwella didn’t respond to the issues at hand raised in De Silva’s letter dated Sept. 14, 2022. Minister Rambukwella didn’t answer calls to his phone yesterday morning.
De Silva warned unless tangible measures were taken to clear the cargo and punish those responsible for deliberate holding up of it, Australian authorities would terminate the project. Referring to Indian credit lines and a range of bilateral donations provided by the international community and ongoing talks on USD 2.9 bn IMF loan facility, the former diplomat emphasized the responsibility on the part of the government to clean up the public service.
Messrs De Silva and Deutrom recalled how the Australian Aid Programme facilitated Police Department to obtain 180 beds for Narahenpita Police Hospital during Pujith Jayasundera’s tenure as the Inspector General of Police.
They said a thorough inquiry was needed to identify the culprits. The MSD owed the country an explanation why the second lot that arrived at the Colombo port on May 30 last year was yet to be cleared, they said. De Silva said that the health sector seemed to be in the grip of utterly corrupt lot hell bent of making money at the expense of poor patients.
Pointing out that electrical components in medical equipment invariably get spoilt due to sea breeze, De Silva said that a senior MSD official asked him why he donated beds when they could procure them directly. De Silva said: “I mentioned this in my letter to Minister Rambukwella. The reasons are obvious.”
De Silva said that crippling of the Australian Medical Aid Programme would have far reaching consequences as donor countries would take note of corrupt practices at the health ministry.
News
“Investments in Professional Education Are Investments in Institutional Strength and National Progress” – PM
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that strengthening Sri Lanka’s professional education framework and aligning it with internationally recognised standards is essential to building a skilled, ethical, and globally competitive workforce.
The Prime Minister made these remarks while addressing the official launch of the QS-accredited Chartered Qualification in Human Resource Management (CQHRM) at SCQF Level 11 (New Syllabus), organised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) Sri Lanka under the theme New Heights of Recognition. The event was held on Wednesday, 18 February at the Cinnamon Life, Colombo.
Emphasising the importance of expanding professional and vocational education pathways, the Prime Minister stated:
“This is of crucial importance to us in broadening our educational pathways and opportunities. We need to increase access to education that is globally recognised and that offers multiple pathways in professional and vocational fields. This aligns closely with the reform process we have initiated in the education sector and with our commitment to lifelong learning where individuals can work and learn at the same time, and where education is not limited to a particular age group but continues throughout life.”
Highlighting Sri Lanka’s national priorities, the Prime Minister further observed:
“At a time when Sri Lanka is focused on economic recovery, institutional reform and sustainable growth, the need for competent and ethical human resource leadership is clear. A competitive economy depends not only on investment and infrastructure but also on skilled professionals who can lead institutions effectively.”
The Prime Minister noted that the QS accreditation of the CQHRM qualification strengthens international recognition of Sri Lankan human resource professionals, enhances professional progression pathways, and reinforces confidence in the country’s professional education system. She also underscored the role of human resource leadership in advancing equity and inclusion within workplaces, including fair recruitment practices, safe working environments, leadership development for women, and inclusive policies for persons with disabilities and neurodivergent individuals.
Addressing the future of work, the Prime Minister stressed the importance of preparing for rapid technological transformation, including the growing impact of artificial intelligence on industries and workforce management, encouraging institutions to proactively adapt to emerging demands.
The event was attended by Deputy Minister of Industry and Entrepreneurship Development, Chathuranga Abeysinghe, along with other distinguished guests.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
Latest News
Advisory for Severe Lightning issued to the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts
Advisory for Severe Lightning
Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre at 12.00 noon 19 February 2026 valid for the period until 11.00 p.m. 19 February 2026
The public are warned that thundershowers accompanied with severe lightning are likely to occur at some places in in the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts after 2.00 p.m.
There may be temporary localized strong winds during thundershowers.
General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
ACTION REQUIRED:
The Department of Meteorology advises that people should:
Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
News
Navy and Coast Guard seize 04 Indian fishing vessels poaching in Sri Lankan waters
During operations conducted in the dark hours of 18 Feb 26, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard seized 04 Indian fishing boats and apprehended 22 Indian fishermen, while they were poaching in Sri Lankan waters north of Mannar and off the Delft Island, Jaffna.
Recognizing the detrimental effects of poaching on marine resources and the livelihoods of local fishing communities, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard continue to conduct regular operations as proactive measures to deter such activities. These efforts underscore the collective robust approach and steadfast commitment to safeguarding the nation’s marine ecosystems while ensuring the economic security and wellbeing of its citizens.
The 02 fishing boats along with the 10 fishermen held in Mannar were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Mannar and the remaining 02 fishing boats intercepted off the Delft Island, together with 12 Indian fishermen were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Myliddy for onward legal proceedings.
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
