Connect with us

News

Environment Ministry claims success in banning single use plastics

Published

on

by Ifham Nizam

The Environment Ministry on Friday claimed success for its campaign to ban plastic sachets (small packages) and lunch sheets, with the Central Environmental Authority (CEA) carrying out intensive raids against the manufacture, sale and distribution of banned polythene and plastic items.

Kore such raids are planned for the rest of the year, officials said.

Sachets worth an estimated Rs. 960 million are sold in the country annually, while the number of lunch sheets released into the environment annually exceeds 5.48 billion, according to a CEA study.

“Polythene will never decompose in nature. It takes 50 to 450 years for it to become invisible to the human eye, turning into micro plastic particles and then nano particles that eventually accumulate in the soil as well as in reservoirs and oceans,” Environment Minister Mahinda Amaraweera said.

He maintained that the decision to reduce the use of polythene and plastic in the country has been very successful by banning the using of sachets and lunch sheets and their manufacture and distribution.

Controlling even the sale of inflatable toys had proved a success, he claimed.

Sachets caused great damage to the drinking water sources, polluting river systems and reservoirs. Billions of them are dumped indiscriminately countrywide causing enormous damage.

Following the ban on their production, distribution and sale, this menace has been largely overcome according to a CEA study.

Amaraweera has directed the CEA to be continuously vigilant and conduct further raids to determine whether these pollutants continue to be manufactured. Intensive raiding will continue for the rest of the year to detect manufacture of banned plastic products and over 700 officials will be deployed for the purpose

The Minister said that though the ban had been a success, continued vigilance was essential with manufacturing facilities regularly inspected. In an effort to control use of non-degradable plastics, the Ministry of Environment banned five single use polythene and plastics products from March 31, 2021.

The production, distribution and sale of non-perishable lunch sheets made of polythene were also banned from August 1 this year. Subsequently, Cabinet approval was granted to ban eight more polythene and plastic items. The relevant gazette notification will be issued soon, officials said.

The production, distribution and sale of sachets other than those used for packaging food and pharmaceuticals, plastic cotton bud stems and inflated polythene toys have been banned since March 31.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Matara Festival for the Arts’ inaugurated by the Prime Minister

Published

on

By

The inaugural ceremony of the Matara Festival for the Arts, featuring a wide range of creations by local and international artists, was held on February 19 at the Old High Court premises of the  Matara Fort, under the patronage of Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya.

The festival, centred around the Old High Court premises in Matara and the auditorium of the Matara District Secretariat, will be open to the public from 20 to 23 of February. The festival will be featured by visual art exhibitions, short film screenings, Kala Pola, and a series of workshops conducted by experts.

The inaugural event was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs, Ms. Saroja Paulraj, along with artists, guests, and a large number of schoolchildren.

(Prime Minister’s Media Division)

Continue Reading

News

Only single MP refuses salary as Parliament details pays and allowances

Published

on

SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilake is the only MP to forego salary and allowances, with all payments suspended following his written notification on August 20, 2025.

Only one Member of Parliament has chosen not to receive the salaries and allowances entitled to MPs, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya revealed in Parliament last Thursday, shedding light on the financial perks enjoyed by members of the Tenth Parliament.

Speaking on Thursday (Feb. 19) in response to a question from SJB Badulla District MP Chaminda Wijesiri, the Prime Minister outlined the full range of pay and allowances provided to parliamentarians.

According to Dr. Amarasuriya, MPs receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000, and a driver’s allowance of Rs. 3,500—though MPs provided with a driver through the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs are not eligible for the driver’s allowance.

Additional benefits include a telephone allowance of Rs. 50,000, a transport allowance of Rs. 15,000, and an office allowance of Rs. 100,000. MPs are also paid a daily sitting allowance of Rs. 2,500 for attending parliamentary sessions, with an additional Rs. 2,500 per day for participation in parliamentary sittings and Rs. 2,500 per day as a committee allowance.

Committee meetings held on non-parliament sitting days also attract Rs. 2,500 per day.

Fuel allowances are provided based on the distance between an MP’s electoral district and Parliament. National List MPs are entitled to a monthly allocation equivalent to 419.76 litres of diesel at the market price on the first day of each month.

Despite the comprehensive benefits, only SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilaka has opted not to draw a salary or allowances. Dr. Amarasuriya said that in accordance with a written notification submitted by MP Wasalathilaka on August 20, 2025, payments have been suspended since that date.

The Prime Minister also confirmed that she, along with the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, committee chairs, ministers, deputy ministers, the Opposition Leader, and senior opposition whips, have all informed the Secretary-General of Parliament in writing that they will not claim the fuel allowance.

Challenging the ruling party’s voluntary pledge to forgo salaries, MP Wijesiri pointed out that all MPs except Wasalathilaka continue to receive their salaries and allowances. “On one hand you speak about the people’s mandate, which is good. But the mandate also included people who said they would voluntarily serve in this Parliament without salaries. Today we have been able to prove, Hon. Speaker, that except for one SJB MP, the other 224 Members are drawing parliamentary salaries,” he said.

The Prime Minister responded by defending the political culture and practice of allocating portions of MPs’ salaries to party funds. Referring to previous practices by the JVP and NPP, she said: “It is no secret to the country that the JVP has for a long time not personally taken MPs’ salaries or any allowances. I think the entire country knows that these go to a party fund. That is not new, nor is it something special to mention. The NPP operates in the same way. That too is not new; it is the culture of our political movement.”

When MP Wijesiri posed a supplementary question asking whether diverting salaries to party funds was an indirect method of taking care of MPs, Dr. Amarasuriya said: “There is no issue there. No question was raised; the Member made a statement. What we have seen throughout this week is an inability to understand our political culture and practice, and a clash with decisions taken by political movements that misused public funds. What is coming out is a certain mindset. That is why there is such an effort to find fault with the 159. None of these facts are new to people. He did not ask a question, so I have nothing to answer.”

The disclosures come days after the Government moved to abolish the parliamentary pension, a measure that has sparked renewed debate over MP compensation and the transparency of funds allocation.

Continue Reading

News

Illegal assets of underworld figures frozen since September, Minister tells parliament

Published

on

Wijepala

Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ananda Wijepala on Friday (20) disclosed in Parliament details of properties and assets allegedly acquired through illegal activities by suspects arrested in raids carried out since September last year.

The Minister made the disclosure in response to a question raised by MP Ravindra Bandara, stating that the identified assets have been frozen pending further investigations.

He said the assets include properties belonging to several alleged organised crime figures, among them Mandinu Padmasiri, alias ‘Kehelbaddara Padme’, who was arrested last year.

Listing the assets in the House, the Minister said Hapugoda Arachchige Kankanamge Duminda Dilruk has assets worth Rs. 23 million frozen, including a van, a motorcycle, a house and a roller gate.

In the case of Kandaiya Kalamogan, two motorboats have been identified, although their value has not yet been assessed.

Dilum Tharaka Balasuriya is reported to own a two-storey house situated on 15 perches of land with a face value of Rs. 800,000.

Assets belonging to Mohammad Harish Mohammad and Mohammad Shiyam were frozen on January 21, 2026. While the total value has not yet been assessed, five vehicles were confiscated from the former and a car from the latter.

Wijesuriya Mahaduruge Uditha Iroshan Wijesiri has assets valued at Rs. 5 million, including a lorry, while Indika Pathmakumara’s assets include a cab worth Rs. 2.5 million and a bank account containing Rs. 1 million.

Lahiru Sampath is reported to own a three-wheeler valued at Rs. 1.8 million.

According to the Minister, Hettiarachchige Dona Sriyani Chandralatha possesses a four-storey house and 14.7 perches of land valued at Rs. 60 million.

Mandinu Padmasiri, alias ‘Kehelbaddara Padme’, owns 20 perches of land with partially constructed buildings valued at Rs. 30 million and a half-finished six-room building worth Rs. 20 million, the Minister said.

Patabendi Maddumage Shehan Sathsara, alias ‘Dehi Bale Malli’, has five multi-day fishing trawlers valued at Rs. 200 million and a two-storey house with 15.8 perches of land worth Rs. 50 million.

The Minister further disclosed that Jayasinghege Maduranga Sampath owns a cab worth Rs. 5.4 million, a van valued at Rs. 14.5 million, five bank accounts containing Rs. 73.03 million, another account with Rs. 160,328.88 and USD 544, and Rs. 283 million in cash.

Adhikari Samantha Perera is reported to own 10.10 perches of land valued at Rs. 5 million and one acre and 1.5 perches of land worth Rs. 13 million.The Minister said investigations are continuing in respect of the suspects and the frozen assets.

Continue Reading

Trending