News
Accountability issues: Zuhair challenges Sabry, demands review of position
Former MP M.M. Zuhair, PC, has questioned the rationale behind Sri Lanka sending a delegation to forthcoming Geneva sessions as Foreign Minister Ali Sabry,PC, has declared that the government wouldn’t accept UN HRC mechanism to gather evidence on human rights violations.Zuhair told The Island that Minister Sabry’s stand should be examined against the backdrop of Sri Lanka allowing foreign agencies to inquire into 21/4 Easter Sunday attacks.
The former Ambassador to Tehran under the Mahinda Rajapaksa presidency has sent us the following statement: “At a time when the country is increasingly dependent on the assistance of foreign countries to tackle the deepening economic crisis and the steeply rising cost of living, the government must objectively address the human rights concerns alleged against Sri Lanka in the UN Human Rights Council (UN HRC) commencing sittings in Geneva.
Addressing the media in Colombo last Monday, Foreign Minister M. Ali Sabry was quoted by Associated Press (AP), that the government cannot agree to any “external mechanism, external evidence gathering mechanism, charging citizens outside the country, getting hybrid judges to come and hear the cases, all these are against the Constitution. So we can’t agree to that”.
While welcoming the Foreign Minister’s assertion that ‘Sri Lankan citizens will not be allowed to be charged outside the country’ and ‘foreign judges will not be permitted to sit in judgment over cases in Sri Lanka’, the question that needs to be raised is, how can the government delegation to UN HRC now refuse UN HRC mechanism to gather evidence of human rights violations in Sri Lanka, having in 2019 allowed foreign agencies to freely investigate 21/4 Easter Sunday attacks? That too without approval of the relevant Sri Lankan Magistrates!
As a respected lawyer, Minister Ali Sabry must surely be aware that none of these foreign non-accountable investigators were authorised by any Magistrate to visit the sites of the explosions, give instructions to the Sri Lankan investigators or to be a part of the investigative team! There were also well known locals, who were not authorised police officers and who too were allowed without any judicial approval to enter protected crime sites, talk to alleged witnesses resulting in polluted investigations. At that time, I cautioned publicly through media statements that those who allowed ‘external investigative mechanisms’ into the country following Easter attacks were virtually laying the groundwork for others to argue later to allow foreign judges to hear cases in Sri Lanka.
Then Minister of Public Security told Parliament on 19th May 2021, during the Gotabaya Rajapaksa presidency that the US Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and Australian Federal Police (AFP) were conducting investigations into the Easter attacks together with the CID.
These and other similar agencies are not similar to the UN HRC gathering evidence of human rights violations. If a US Federal intelligence and security agency, whose government had been notorious for invading several Middle East and regional countries for over 40 years under various pretexts, often false pretexts, could have been allowed to investigate 21/4, what form of credible unbiased investigations could Sri Lankan investigators claim in Courts? Foreign invasion of third world countries was an issue raised by a 21/4 suicide bomber shortly prior to the reprehensible attacks!
In October 2021, British Member of Parliament Sir David Amess was killed, stabbed multiple times at his Essex constituency in the UK. Father Jeffrey Woolnough who rushed to perform the sacrament on the devout Catholic MP was refused access by the Essex Police to perform a simple religious rite. Essex Police told the priest that preserving the integrity of the crime scene was a fundamental part of any investigation and refused entry.
US author William C Chasey in his 1995 book ‘Pan Am 103-The Lockerbie Cover Up’ reveals how the “United States, Great Britain and Scotland conspired to cover up the true identities of those responsible for the world’s most heinous terrorist bomb explosions in Pan Am 103”. The doomed flight exploded in mid-air 31,000 feet over Lockerbie in Scotland killing all 270 persons on board on 21st December 1988. Chasey exposes how the FBI and the CIA tried to keep out the true story of who did it. Chasey reveals how the crime scene was prostituted to accuse Libya of Muammar Gadhafi fame and that the real master minds were others!
Will Minister Ali Sabry and co-delegate Justice Minister Wijeyadasa Rajapakse find a way to cooperate with UN HRC than confront, as that would be at present the wiser course for the country, similar to the 22 million Sri Lankans now having to take the IMF decoctions?
News
Ravi demands full disclosure on Lanka’s usable reserves, flags forex leakages
Opposition MP Ravi Karunanayake on Wednesday called for an urgent government statement to Parliament on the integrity and usability of Sri Lanka’s Gross Official Reserves (GOR), raising concerns over foreign exchange leakages and regulatory consistency under the Foreign Exchange Act No. 12 of 2017.
Raising the issue under Standing Order 27 (i), Karunanayake urged the Government to provide a comprehensive disclosure on the composition, encumbrances and deployability of the country’s reserves, as well as on the Central Bank’s oversight of foreign currency transactions.
“Reserve credibility depends not merely on headline numbers, but on transparency, enforceability and consistency in regulation,” the MP told the House.
He sought clarification on the latest reported GOR figure and the net usable reserves after excluding encumbered assets, swaps and pledged balances. He also requested details of annual revenue earned on reserves from 2023 to 2025.
Following are the questions raised by MP Karunanayake:
1. What is the latest reported GOR figure, and what is the net usable reserve after excluding encumbered assets, swaps, and pledged balances? What is the revenue earned on are GOR 23-25 per year?
2. Provide a separate and detailed breakdown of GOR, including: (a) Monetary gold (quantity and valuation basis) is it real gold or gold paper? (b) Foreign currency assets by major currency and instrument; (c) SDR holdings; (d) IMF reserve position; (e) Foreign currency swaps, specifying counterparty type, principal amount, tenure, maturity profile, and all-in cost; (f) Domestic swaps, specifying amount, tenure, rollover terms, collateralisation, and effective cost.
3. Of the total reserves reported, how much is encumbered, swap-backed, or otherwise not immediately deployable for debt servicing or currency stabilisation?
4. What SLR spread, fee, or margin does the Central bank apply when buying or selling USD to the Government for reserve accumulation and external debt servicing and what total profit or gain has the C.bank realised from such transactions during the past three financial years? Advice per year.
5. Is the Central Bank subject to continuous and statutory audit by the Auditor General? If so, will the Government table the most recent audit report, specifying audit scope, sample size, reserve confirmations, swap verification and gold custody validation?
6. What triggered the recent circular warning domestic institutions on foreign currency transactions?
7. Has the C.bank quantified foreign exchange and tax revenue losses resulting from Sri Lanka-based businesses routing credit card and commercial payments through overseas payment gateways?
8. If domestic entities are regulated strictly, why has a binding circular not been issued against noncompliant business entities using foreign payment gateway arrangements that divert foreign exchange outside Sri Lanka’s regulated banking system?
The government asked for two weeks’ time to respond to the queries.
by Saman Indrajith
News
Sajith exposes highly questionable coal imports from South Africa in 25 vessels; calls for independent probe
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa yesterday alleged in Parliament that eight recently imported coal shipments were substandard and called for an independent probe into the matter.Speaking in the House, Premadasa said Sri Lanka typically requires 36–38 coal shipments annually. While 11 Russian shipments received so far had raised no concerns, he claimed that 25 vessels ordered from South Africa under a new tender were facing quality issues.
He cited combustion reports from the Norochcholai Coal Power Plant showing that the eight shipments already received under the new tender failed to generate the expected 300 megawatts per unit. According to the MP, the outputs were: 285 MW, 290 MW, 260 MW, 295 MW, 285 MW, 270 MW, 275 MW, and 255 MW.
“These are scientific data generated automatically through boiler combustion reports that cannot be altered,” Premadasa said, asserting that the figures indicate the coal supplied was below required standards.
He warned that low-quality coal could increase fuel consumption, raise operational costs, and damage equipment. Any shortfall in power generation, he said, would necessitate additional coal imports or greater reliance on diesel power, ultimately driving up electricity tariffs for consumers.
“The loss will have to be borne by the electricity consumer,” Premadasa said, urging the government to clarify whether the shipments met required specifications.
He also criticized delays and changes in tender requirements, alleging that supplier eligibility criteria had been relaxed to allow non-standard providers.
by Saman Indrajith
News
Ex-TRCSL Chairman Palpita enlarged on bail
Former Mass Media Ministry Secretary and former Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) Chairman Anusha Palpita was yesterday released on bail by the Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court.Colombo Chief Magistrate Asanga S. Bodaragama granted bail after considering submissions made by officials of the Bribery Commission and counsel for the defence.
The Magistrate ordered the suspect’s release on two personal surety bonds of Rs. 5 million each and imposed a foreign travel ban.
When the case was taken up, Bribery Commission officials informed court that a report had been called regarding alleged investments made by the suspect in the stock market. They sought a further date to present facts pertaining to those reports.
Appearing for the suspect, Attorney-at-Law Kanchana Ratwatte submitted that his client had been in remand custody for nearly a month and was prepared to extend full cooperation to investigators. He moved for bail on that basis.
After hearing both sides, the Magistrate observed that no reasonable grounds had been placed before court to further remand the suspect and ordered his release on bail. The case was fixed for 29 May.
Palpita was arrested on 23 January in connection with an investigation initiated by the Bribery Commission over the alleged failure to disclose the source of assets amounting to Rs. 46 million.
The Commission stated that he had arrived at its office on the day of his arrest to give a statement and was taken into custody thereafter.
He was arrested on allegations of amassing assets and property disproportionate to his declared income during a specified period, following a probe into wealth allegedly accumulated beyond his lawful earnings.
-
Life style6 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business5 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features6 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features6 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features6 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News6 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News6 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
Sports2 days agoOld and new at the SSC, just like Pakistan
