Connect with us

Latest News

Train services on main line and upcountry line disrupted

Published

on

(pic Social Media)

Train services on the down line of the main line and the upcountry line have been disrupted due to a collision between a container truck and a train at a level crossing in the Wilwatta area (between Ambepussa and Mirigama) this (09th August) morning.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

US boards second tanker in Indian Ocean after tracking it from Caribbean

Published

on

By

Footage posted by the Pentagon appears to show troops boarding the tanker [BBC]

The US military has boarded a second oil tanker in the Indian Ocean, after tracking it from the Caribbean Sea where it was suspected of helping Venezuela avoid US sanctions.

The boarding of the Panamanian-flagged Veronica III is the second such US interception in the Indian Ocean in the past week. It comes amid a US crackdown on sanctioned oil exports from Venezuela.

“Distance does not protect you,” the Pentagon said in a statement, alongside video and photos which appear to show the US raid.

At least seven oil tankers have been seized by the US since last year, as the Trump administration moves to control the supply of Venezuelan oil.

The Pentagon statement on Sunday defined the operation as “a right-of-visit, maritime interdiction and boarding”. The statement did not say whether the US had seized the vessel, or allowed it to continue on its journey.

“The vessel tried to defy President Trump’s quarantine – hoping to slip away,” the Pentagon statement said.

“We tracked it from the Caribbean to the Indian Ocean, closed the distance, and shut it down.

“No other nation has the reach, endurance, or will to do this. International waters are not sanctuary. By land, air, or sea, we will find you and deliver justice.”

The Veronica III is currently under sanctions imposed by the US Treasury Department.

The Veronica III departed Venezuela on 3 January, according to monitoring group TankerTrackers.com – the same day that the US captured Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro in a raid on his presidential compound in Caracas

The ship was carrying 1.9 million barrels of crude oil at the time of departure, the group says, adding that it is believed to have been involved in the transport of Russian, Iranian and Venezuelan oil since 2023.

Last week, the US announced that it had boarded and inspected the Aquila II, which US forces had “tracked and hunted” to the Indian Ocean.

In December, US President Donald Trump said that he was ordering a “blockade” of sanctioned oil tankers entering and leaving Venezuela, a move the Venezuelan government at the time described as “theft”.

The US blockade has sharply curtailed Venezuelan oil exports, with only ships associated with Chevron and bound for the US operating as usual.

Loadings had fallen roughly by half in January to about 400,000 barrels per day, Matt Smith, head of US analysis at analytics firm Kpler, told the BBC last month.

Twitter/@DeptofWar The tanker and a US ship, viewed from a helicopter gunship

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Latest News

England face unexpected test of nerve in Italy showdown

Published

on

By

Harry Brook fell trying to ramp Michael Leask against Scotland [Cricinfo]

In any other context, this would be an ideal palate-cleanser for England as they reset their campaign and cast their eyes forward to next week’s Super Eights in Sri Lanka. Saturday’s five wicket win over Scotland has put Harry Brook’s team on the brink of progression, alongside the Group C leaders West Indies, and it would take perhaps the most embarrassing defeat in their international history for that to fail to come to pass.

But, in the context of what we’ve witnessed of England’s campaign so far, is anyone willing, categorically, to rule it out? Not after the sensational scenes that the Azzurri set in motion in Mumbai last week, they won’t.

If England’s anxieties had been all too apparent in their last-ball victory over Nepal, then Italy’s clinical dismembering of the same opponents four days later showcased an entirely different mindset. Their joy was infectious: simply to be part of the conversation at their first cricket World Cup was one thing, but to flood the occasion with talent, optimism and courage was quite another.

By the end of that ten wicket win, with the Mosca brothers accelerating over the finish line with a combined haul of nine sixes in 76 balls, Italy were playing with a freedom and focus that England simply haven’t been able to locate since the Ashes went south in December.

Twenty-four hours earlier, England themselves had slipped to a meek defeat against West Indies, after which Brook declared his batters had been “too careful” . But as he’s been demonstrating all winter long – including with his impetuous dismissal against Scotland – that boundary between aggression and recklessness remains hard for the skipper and his team to locate.

What an irony it would be, then, if Italy’s willingness to “run towards the danger” proves their best means to close the gap on their illustrious opponents. On paper, it is clearly not a fair contest, and a big-game performance from one of England’s big guns could yet leave us wondering what all the fuss has been about: between Phil Salt, Jos Buttler and Brook himself, there are at least three batters who have yet to produce the statement performance that we all know lurks within them.

It certainly shouldn’t require the sort of lion-hearted, backs-to-the-wall qualification bid that has come to epitomise England’s football World Cup clashes with Italy. If Brook emerges in a bloodied headband, Paul Ince-style, to grind his team to their target, they might as well pack their bags and call it quits now. But so much of England’s long winter campaign has been played in the head. Right now, they seem a little stuck inside their own thoughts.

Whether it’s symptom or cause remains to be seen, but Jos Butter’s displays so far in this tournament have been rather anodyne. His first two innings, against Nepal and West Indies, produced a pair of 20s that ended at precisely the moment that he usually seizes control, and though he reached 4000 T20I runs against Scotland, he didn’t get past the second over. At the age of 35, this may be his last realistic chance to drive England deep into a World Cup campaign. The good news is that he should have plenty time left in the tournament to find his best form. The bad news for England will come if he can’t locate it.

High-quality legspin has been a vital weapon in the tournament to date, and no player was more important to Italy’s stunning win over Nepal than their own such weapon, Crishan Kalugamage.  His figures of 3 for 18 not only ripped the heart out of Nepal’s batting, they came just days after England’s mighty Adil Rashid had been beasted by the same opponents at a rate of 14 an over, on one of the worst days out of his 17-year career. In a game where his team have nothing to lose, but against opponents whose anxieties against spin have been a defining feature of their performances, the stage is his to give it a rip and see what happens.

Despite their nervy displays so far, England’s team remains broadly settled. Jamie Overton for Luke Wood has been their only change to date, and Overton’s form suggests he’ll continue. The reserves – Wood, Josh Tongue, Ben Duckett and Rehan Ahmed – were the only players to attend optional training on Sunday.

England: (probable) Phil Salt,  Jos Buttler (wk),  Jacob Bethell,  Tom Banton,  Harry Brook (capt),  Sam Curran, Will Jacks, Liam Dawson,  Jamie Overton,  Jofra Archer,  Adil Rashid

Harry Manenti’s first outing as captain, in the wake Wayne Madsen’s shoulder dislocation, could not have gone more swimmingly against Nepal. With Madsen still hors de combat, he will lead his team once more.

Italy: (probable)  Anthony Mosca,  Justin Mosca, JJ Smuts,  Marcus Campopiano,  Harry Manenti (capt),  Ben Manenti,  Grant Stewart,  Gian-Piero Meade (wk),  Jaspreet Singh,  Crishan Kalugamage,  Ali Hasan

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Winless Afghanistan look to keep slim hopes alive against upbeat UAE

Published

on

By

Afghanistan are still looking for their first win in the tournament [Cricinfo]

How do you lift yourself after a soul-crushing defeat? Because Afghanistan need to do exactly that after going down to South Africa in the double Super Over in Ahmedabad. It was their second defeat in as many games, and even though they are the favourites for their remaining two group games – against UAE and Canada – their T20 World Cup campaign is hanging by the thinnest thread of hope.

Afghanistan have an 11-3 win-loss record against UAE, their opponents for Monday’s day game in Delhi. But a New Zealand win over Canada the following day is enough to knock them out.

UAE must be feeling confident after their win over Canada. It came in Delhi, where they play their remaining two group games as well. But they too rely heavily on Canada beating New Zealand. If New Zealand beat Canada, which is more likely, UAE will have to pull off a series of miracles. They will have to beat Afghanistan and then South Africa, who have been unbeaten so far. And they will have to do so by such margins that their net run rate goes above New Zealand’s. That gap, at the moment, is huge.

So, how do Afghanistan and UAE proceed? Perhaps, as players often say, by taking one game at a time.

Ibrahim Zadran is a perfect foil for the attacking Rahmanullah Gurbaz. While the role of the anchor in T20 cricket is diminishing every second, things are different at T20 World Cups. Moreover, Zadran has upped his intent of late. Two of his four 50-plus scores since October came at a strike rate of more than 150. However, he has managed only 22 runs off as many balls in two outings so far. Afghanistan expect much more from him.

Born in Bihar, graduated from Jamia Millia Islamia and now playing for UAE, Sohaib Khan showed against Canada how destructive he can be. His 29-ball 51, laden with four fours and four sixes, turned UAE’s fortunes around. But this was not the first time his hitting prowesses were on display. At the Rising Stars Asia Cup in November, he had smashed 63 off41 balls against India A in Doha. In that game, he had taken 24 runs off eight balls against Suyash Sharma. Can he repeat those heroics on Monday?

Both teams are likely to go with unchanged XIs.

Afghanistan (probable):  Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk),  Ibrahim Zadran,  Gulbadin Naib,  Sediqullah Atal,  Darwish Rasooli,  Azmatullah Omarzai, Mohammad Nabi,  Rashid Khan (capt),  Mujeeb Ur Rahman,  Noor Ahmad,  Fazalhaq Farooqi

UAE (probable):  Aryansh Sharma (wk),  Muhammad Waseem (capt),  Alishan Sharafu,  Mayank Kumar,  Harshit Kaushik,  Sohaib Khan,  Muhammad Arfan,  Muhammad Farooq,  Haider Ali,  Junaid Siddique,  Muhammad Jawadullah

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Trending