News

Some MPs get impatient with delay in issuing their duty-free vehicle permits

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

A group of government and opposition MPs are planning to meet the House Committee, which is responsible for MPs’ amenities, seeking duty free vehicle permits entitled to them as in the past when parliament meets next week, parliament.

The group comprising most backbencher MPs would seek a meeting with Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena in this regard and they are of the opinion that if parliament cannot provide them with duty-free vehicle permits, then vehicle must be made available to them at lower prices.

An MP said that the matter had been raised several times at group meetings and other forums, but the House Committee headed by Speaker Abeywardena had not taken any action.

“There are many backbenchers who have no vehicles. Each MP is entitled to a duty-free permit for a vehicle worth Rs 20 million. The last time the permits were given was nine years abo in 2015. The permits issuance was suspended citing the prevailing economic situation in the country. We find it difficult to attend our duties without a vehicle,” the MP said.

Another MP said that the House Committee too had not been convened for months. He said that the duty-free vehicle permit should be given to the MPs before the next election. If this permit is not given, many MPs, especially the backbenchers, would not contest the next general election as they have no means to contest,” he said, adding that some MPs had already made statements to that effect.

A senior parliamentary official said that the Finance Ministry under the purview of President Ranil Wickremesinghe had suspended issuance of duty-free car permits to the MPs. “

The House Committee consists of the Speaker as Chair and nine Members nominated by the Committee of Selection.

The Committee on Parliamentary Business, which met on 05 April, decided that the Parliament would be in session for three days during the last sitting week this month. Accordingly the House will meet on 24, 25 and 26 April in accordance with a motion brought by the Opposition and an Adjournment

The debate on the Easter Sunday attack would be held on the above three days, the Acting Secretary General of Parliament Chaminda Kularatne said.

Click to comment

Trending

Exit mobile version