News
SJB urges Cardinal to take up Easter Sunday issue in Geneva
By Saman Indrajith
Chief Opposition Whip and SJB Kandy District MP Lakshman Kiriella yesterday said that no one was happy with the way the government was investigating the Easter Sunday terror attacks.
Addressing the media at the Opposition Leader’s office in Colombo, Kiriella said that there was nothing wrong with Colombo Archbishop Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith contemplating going before the international community against the way the government was carrying out investigations into the Easter Sunday carnage.
“The Cardinal, the victims and we, in the Opposition, are calling for only one thing – that is the government should implement the recommendations of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry on the Easter Sunday carnage. The government should implement the recommendations of the final report of the presidential commission on the Easter Sunday attacks. Several international conferences are due to discuss resolutions against Sri Lanka. The current session of the UN Human Rights Council Geneva got underway yesterday (12) and the UN General Assembly sessions will be held in New York on Sept. 21. The results of these forums would be detrimental to our national interests if the government keeps bungling in this manner.
“It is incumbent Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa the one who internationalised Sri Lanka’s domestic issues in 1989. He went before the Geneva Human Rights Council with a list of names of disappeared persons. Since then this has become the norm for anyone who is not happy with the actions of any government to prevent human rights violations to go there. The UN Human Rights Council is at the disposal of any person or organisation that has exhausted all means in this country to get justice done. Even other countries could complain to that Council if they think Sri Lanka does not comply with human rights conventions that it has become a party to. So, there is nothing wrong with the Cardinal taking the issue of the Easter Sunday carnage to Geneva because the government is not dispensing justice.”
The Chief Opposition Whip said that people had been waiting for two and half years to see the government taking action against those who are responsible for the Easter Sunday terror attacks. “The Cardinal’s complaint is that justice has not been served. There is a serious allegation that justice is served selectively. It prosecutes only those who are opposed to the government. When legal action is taken against anyone in the government’s good books, the prosecution fails or makes errors in the judicial process so that the judges have no option but to give their rulings in favour of the culprits. A judge has to make his or her decision on the basis of evidence placed before him or her. When the prosecution fails deliberately to provide evidence, then justice is not done. So, the government could act against those who are opposed to them while safeguarding their friends.”
SJB MP Eran Wickremaratne also addressed the press.
Latest News
Advisory for Heavy Rain issued for the Central, Uva and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in the Ampara, Batticaloa and Polonnaruwa districts
Advisory for Heavy Rain Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre at 12.00 noon on 21 February 2026 valid for the period until 08.30 a.m. 22 February 2026
Due to the low level atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, Heavy showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in the Central, Uva and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in the Ampara, Batticaloa and Polonnaruwa districts and fairly heavy showers above 75 mm are likely at some places elsewhere.
Therefore, the general public is advised to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by heavy rain, strong winds and lightning during thundershowers.
News
Ravi demands full disclosure on Lanka’s usable reserves, flags forex leakages
Opposition MP Ravi Karunanayake on Wednesday called for an urgent government statement to Parliament on the integrity and usability of Sri Lanka’s Gross Official Reserves (GOR), raising concerns over foreign exchange leakages and regulatory consistency under the Foreign Exchange Act No. 12 of 2017.
Raising the issue under Standing Order 27 (i), Karunanayake urged the Government to provide a comprehensive disclosure on the composition, encumbrances and deployability of the country’s reserves, as well as on the Central Bank’s oversight of foreign currency transactions.
“Reserve credibility depends not merely on headline numbers, but on transparency, enforceability and consistency in regulation,” the MP told the House.
He sought clarification on the latest reported GOR figure and the net usable reserves after excluding encumbered assets, swaps and pledged balances. He also requested details of annual revenue earned on reserves from 2023 to 2025.
Following are the questions raised by MP Karunanayake:
1. What is the latest reported GOR figure, and what is the net usable reserve after excluding encumbered assets, swaps, and pledged balances? What is the revenue earned on are GOR 23-25 per year?
2. Provide a separate and detailed breakdown of GOR, including: (a) Monetary gold (quantity and valuation basis) is it real gold or gold paper? (b) Foreign currency assets by major currency and instrument; (c) SDR holdings; (d) IMF reserve position; (e) Foreign currency swaps, specifying counterparty type, principal amount, tenure, maturity profile, and all-in cost; (f) Domestic swaps, specifying amount, tenure, rollover terms, collateralisation, and effective cost.
3. Of the total reserves reported, how much is encumbered, swap-backed, or otherwise not immediately deployable for debt servicing or currency stabilisation?
4. What SLR spread, fee, or margin does the Central bank apply when buying or selling USD to the Government for reserve accumulation and external debt servicing and what total profit or gain has the C.bank realised from such transactions during the past three financial years? Advice per year.
5. Is the Central Bank subject to continuous and statutory audit by the Auditor General? If so, will the Government table the most recent audit report, specifying audit scope, sample size, reserve confirmations, swap verification and gold custody validation?
6. What triggered the recent circular warning domestic institutions on foreign currency transactions?
7. Has the C.bank quantified foreign exchange and tax revenue losses resulting from Sri Lanka-based businesses routing credit card and commercial payments through overseas payment gateways?
8. If domestic entities are regulated strictly, why has a binding circular not been issued against noncompliant business entities using foreign payment gateway arrangements that divert foreign exchange outside Sri Lanka’s regulated banking system?
The government asked for two weeks’ time to respond to the queries.
by Saman Indrajith
News
Sajith exposes highly questionable coal imports from South Africa in 25 vessels; calls for independent probe
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa yesterday alleged in Parliament that eight recently imported coal shipments were substandard and called for an independent probe into the matter.Speaking in the House, Premadasa said Sri Lanka typically requires 36–38 coal shipments annually. While 11 Russian shipments received so far had raised no concerns, he claimed that 25 vessels ordered from South Africa under a new tender were facing quality issues.
He cited combustion reports from the Norochcholai Coal Power Plant showing that the eight shipments already received under the new tender failed to generate the expected 300 megawatts per unit. According to the MP, the outputs were: 285 MW, 290 MW, 260 MW, 295 MW, 285 MW, 270 MW, 275 MW, and 255 MW.
“These are scientific data generated automatically through boiler combustion reports that cannot be altered,” Premadasa said, asserting that the figures indicate the coal supplied was below required standards.
He warned that low-quality coal could increase fuel consumption, raise operational costs, and damage equipment. Any shortfall in power generation, he said, would necessitate additional coal imports or greater reliance on diesel power, ultimately driving up electricity tariffs for consumers.
“The loss will have to be borne by the electricity consumer,” Premadasa said, urging the government to clarify whether the shipments met required specifications.
He also criticized delays and changes in tender requirements, alleging that supplier eligibility criteria had been relaxed to allow non-standard providers.
by Saman Indrajith
-
Life style7 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business6 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features7 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features7 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features7 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News7 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
Latest News1 day agoECB push back at Pakistan ‘shadow-ban’ reports ahead of Hundred auction
-
Latest News23 hours agoTariffs ruling is major blow to Trump’s second-term agenda
