Connect with us

Sports

Plans underway to keep uninterrupted series alive

Published

on

142nd Battle of the Blues from September 9 to 11

The Joint Royal-Thomian Match Organizing Committee (JOC) has started planning to conduct the postponed 142nd Battle of the Blues behind closed doors from September 9-11 at Hambantota.

“The match is to happen very strictly behind closed doors / without any spectators present and sans any associated events, keeping in line with all COVID-19 restrictions and health and safety guidelines of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) and the Government Health Authorities,” a statement from the JOC said yesterday.

The historic cricket Big Match played between Royal College, Colombo and S. Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia has been played uninterrupted even during the two World Wars and civil insurgencies. The Battle of the Blues, which is generally played during the second weekend of March was scheduled for May due to the Covid 19 pandemic this year. But organizers had to postpone it after four Thomian cricketers were found to be positive for Covid-19 days before the match.

The statement issued yesterday by the JOC said that both teams, coaches and support staff along with umpires and match officials will be in a Bio Secure Environment (BSE) for 21 days, adhering to COVID-19 protocols under the supervision of the Regional Health Services.

“The safety, health and well-being of the school boys will be the priority of both Heads of Schools and a joint Health & Safety (H&S) team advised by senior medical professionals has drawn up very comprehensive H&S plans to ensure a maximum BSE,” the statement said.

“The two Heads of Schools have given their consent for the JOC to proceed with making plans to play the postponed match after approvals had been given for the restart of all sports activities apart from contact sports in June 2021. The JOC thereafter applied to the relevant Ministries for further necessary approvals that have now been obtained.

“Both the School Heads and the JOC will continue to monitor and evaluate the situation of the country very carefully over the next few weeks given the seriousness of the pandemic environment that is currently escalating and will consider the re-scheduling/postponement of the event if necessary. Both school communities are very conscious of the health and safety of the children and also their responsibility to the community.”

The JOC is making arrangements to broadcast the match live.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

‘Best time to crush’ Australia, says Oman captain Jatinder Singh

Published

on

By

Oman are hoping to get more exposure for their players in franchise leagues [Cricinfo]

Oman have suffered three heavy defeats to Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, and Ireland at the 2026 T20 World Cup, and had been thumped by Australia the only other time these two teams met, at the 2024 edition. But captain Jatinder Singh says his team sees their final match of this tournament as an opportunity to surprise a wounded Australia team.

Australia have nothing to gain from the match against Oman in Pallekele on Friday, aside from preserving some pride. Perhaps the gloom around the Australia camp will give Oman an opening. In fact it might be “the best time to crush them”.

“One hundred percent this is an opportunity,” Jatinder said. “And our boys are looking forward to it. Because T20 is a game of momentum and the moments, and if you play those moments right, you can do anything on that particular day. Australia is not doing well at the moment… it is the best time to crush them.

“The boys are really positive. They are looking forward to the match against Australia to make their mark.”

On how to make Oman more competitive in the long term, Jatinder believed franchise cricket opportunities for Oman players could be one route. Oman did not have a heavy cricket schedule in 2025, playing only 15 T20Is that year in addition to eight ODIs.

“Well if I have to sum up how Oman can improve, it would be if we have the franchise cricket happening in the country or our guys get a chance to play franchise cricket elsewhere,” Jatinder said. “I think we can fill that gap and they can bring vast amount of experience for our national team.

“But if we don’t get to play competitive cricket, whereas other teams are getting to play the competitive cricket, we will need to fill that gap. There have been instances where we’ve been inviting the teams to come and play in Oman. The response has been really delayed, or we don’t get any response. So I think if we have the franchise cricket, that would really fill the gap.”

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Vanquished Australia eye winning end to dreadful World Cup campaign

Published

on

By

Steve Smith flew all the way to Sri Lanka as a replacement player, so he's likely to get a go [Cricbuzz]
In an alternate world, Australia would have been running final system checks in their last group game against Oman on February 20 before stepping into the world of Super Eights with a favourites tag in tow. But reality hasn’t matched the lofty pre-tournament expectation, and has them packing bags and bracing themselves for a damning introspection.

It’s jarring to see Australia being left behind in a white-ball World Cup – a blot in their enviable, unmatched heritage. But that said, they’ve failed to make the semis of five of the last six T20 World Cups – a complete reversal in fortunes from the 50-over tournament.

Amid accusations of not taking it too seriously, losing key players to injuries and retirement and a sharp assessment from Ricky Ponting,  a former World Cup winner from their shores, Mitchell Marsh & Co. have to drag themselves to the middle one last time before being homeward bound. You could argue there’s nothing riding on this game other than serving another reminder of Australia’s fallacies and you’d be right. But Australia will want to believe that a win as a final act brings some peace with it, and the consolation of finishing third – just outside of the two qualifiers.

Oman, meanwhile, got to Sri Lanka in search of a memorable evening at the very least where they could upset the apple-cart. They’ve gone 0 for 3 so far, but there will be murmurs in their camp of setting out in search of it again, against the vulnerable former champions.

There’s predicted thunderstorms one hour into the fixture. If rain stays away, there should be big runs on offer. The only other 7 pm start here saw Australia post 181 and Sri Lanka chase it down with two overs to spare.

Steve Smith flew all the way to Sri Lanka as a replacement player, so he’s likely to get a go in the final game of the tournament for the Aussies.

Oman made a couple of changes in the last two fixtures without success. Shakeel Ahmed went in and out of the side in the three games, but picked three wickets against Ireland and should keep his place. Jatinder might look at giving top-order batter Karan Sonavale another go.

Australia Probable XI: Mitchell Marsh (c), Steve Smith, Cameron Green, Tim David, Josh Inglis (wk), Marcus Stoinis, Matt Renshaw, Cooper Connolly, Xavier Bartlett, Nathan Ellis, Adam Zampa

Oman Probable XI: Aamir Kaleem, Jatinder Singh (c), Hammad Mirza, Ashish Odedara/Karan Sonavale, Mohammad Nadeem, Jiten Ramanandi, Vinayak Shukla (wk), Nadeem Khan, Sufyan Mehmood, Shah Faisal, Shakeel Ahmed

[Cricbuzz]

Continue Reading

Sports

Zimbabwe stun Sri Lanka and storm into Super Eight

Published

on

Pathum Nissanka’s half-century wasn’t enough to take Sri Lanka over the line at RPS last night.

Zimbabwe marched into the Super Eight stage of the T20 World Cup with the swagger of a side that refuses to read the script, completing the group phase unbeaten after a polished six-wicket win over co-hosts Sri Lanka at Colombo’s R. Premadasa Stadium on Thursday.

Ranked 11th in the world, the African side have been the tournament’s disruptors-in-chief. Having already sent former champions Australia packing last week, they now added 2014 winners Sri Lanka to their growing list of scalps, underlining that this is no flash in the pan but a team riding a serious wave of momentum.

Chasing 179 on a surface that demanded both muscle and method, Zimbabwe found themselves at crossroads when 65 were needed off the last 36 balls. Enter Sikandar Raza, sleeves rolled up and eyes locked in.

The all-rounder flipped the contest on its head in one decisive over from Dushan Hemantha, plundering 20 runs with two towering sixes and a rasping boundary. In the blink of an eye, the asking rate dipped and Sri Lanka’s shoulders sagged.

Raza and Brian Bennett stitched together a match-defining 69 off 40 deliveries for the third wicket, mixing clean ball-striking with smart running between the wickets. Zimbabwe crossed the line with three balls to spare.

While Raza provided the late fireworks with 45 off 26 balls, peppered with two fours and four sixes, opener Bennett was the glue that held the innings together. His composed 63 off 48 deliveries, studded with eight fours, ensured Zimbabwe never lost sight of the target.

Even when Raza departed with 13 still required from two overs, Sri Lanka sensed a sniff. But Tony Munyonga calmly clubbed Maheesh Theekshana’s first delivery of the final over into the stands, draining the tension from the contest. Fittingly, Bennett sealed the deal with the winning boundary. Raza was named Man of the Match.

It was Zimbabwe’s second-highest successful run chase in T20Is.

Earlier, after opting to bat, Sri Lanka were once again anchored by Pathum Nissanka. Fresh from becoming the tournament’s first centurion earlier in the week, Nissanka produced a polished 62 off 47 balls, bringing up his seventh T20 World Cup half-century, equalling Mahela Jayawardene’s record for the most by a Sri Lankan.

He and Kusal Perera gave the innings early impetus with a brisk 54 off 30 balls for the opening stand before Nissanka added a further 46 in 43 deliveries alongside Kusal Mendis.

Pavan Rathnayake provided the late thrust, clearing the ropes twice in a 44 off 25 balls as Sri Lanka posted a competitive 178.

Zimbabwe’s bowlers, however, ensured it was a chaseable target rather than a daunting one. Veteran leg-spinner Graeme Cremer led the way with 2-27, applying the squeeze in the middle overs, while the towering Blessing Muzarabani struck twice to finish with 2-38.

Sri Lanka now turn their attention to a Super Eight showdown against England in Kandy on Sunday, a contest that promises high stakes and little margin for error. Zimbabwe, brimming with belief, head to Bombay to face the West Indies on Monday, no longer the underdogs but a side that has earned its place at the top table.

Continue Reading

Trending