Foreign News
Over 3,600 aftershocks detected following 6.8-magnitude Xizang quake
Chinese news agency Xinhua quoting the China Earthquake Networks Center has reported that a total of 3,614 aftershocks had been detected as of 8 a.m. Tuesday [14] since the 6.8-magnitude earthquake which jolted Dingri County in southwest China’s Xizang Autonomous Region last week.
Most aftershocks were below 3.0 magnitude, the center revealed.
The two strongest aftershocks, one of 4.9 magnitude and another of 5.0 magnitude, occurred on Monday night — toppling some houses in the county, local authorities said.
“As residents had earlier moved to tents and prefab houses, no casualties have been reported so far,” said Tashi Dondrup, county head of Dingri.
On Jan. 7, the 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit Dingri, home to the northern base camp of the world’s highest peak, Mount Qomolangma, claiming 126 lives.
[Xinhua]