Connect with us

News

Iran wants US to lift sanctions against Lebanon

Published

on

Protesters took to the streets of Beirut to vent their fury at their government, which they accuse of negligence following evidence that authorities knew about the ammonium nitrate and did nothing for seven years. [ Pic courtesy Anadolu Agency]

Iran wants the United States to lift sanctions against Lebanon and wants other countries to refrain from politicising last week’s Beirut explosion that killed at least 158 people and left more than 6,000 wounded.

Iran’s comments on Monday come a day after international leaders pledged $300m in humanitarian assistance to Lebanon following the devastating explosion that also left more than 300,000 people homeless in the capital city.

“The blast should not be used as an excuse for political aims … the cause of the blast should be investigated carefully,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi told a televised news conference on Monday.

“If America is honest about its assistance offer to Lebanon, they should lift sanctions.”

The international aid announced on Sunday would be “directly delivered to the Lebanese population” and offered support for an “impartial, credible and independent inquiry”.

“Lebanese authorities must now implement political and economic reforms demanded by the Lebanese people and which alone will enable the international community to act effectively alongside Lebanon for reconstruction,” said French President Emmanuel Macron, who chaired the virtual donor conference.

Macron visited Beirut’s shattered streets on Thursday, two days after the chemical explosion in the dock area. Asked about the visit, Mousavi said: “Some countries have been trying to politicise this blast for their own interests.”

The explosion, whose mushroom cloud reminded many of an atomic bomb, left a 43-metre-deep (141-foot) crater at Beirut’s port, said a security official, citing French experts working in the disaster area.

It was triggered by 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, which had been stored at a port warehouse since 2013.

Protesters have taken to the streets of Beirut to vent their fury at their government, which they accuse of negligence following evidence that authorities knew about the ammonium nitrate and did nothing for six years.

Police and the army responded with tear gas and rubber bullets, resulting in hundreds of protesters being wounded. At least one policeman has been killed, security forces said.

“Those who died paid the price of a state that doesn’t care about anything except power and money,” said protester Tamara, 23, whose friend Rawan, 20, was killed in the blast.

“It’s not enough that ministers resign,” said her friend Michel. “Those who put the explosives there must be held accountable. We want an international tribunal to tell us who killed [Rawan].”

Al Jazeera’s Zeina Khodr, reporting from Beirut, said people are “disillusioned” because they are up against a “militarised state”.

“Protesters are not under any illusion that changing or getting rid of the political and security establishment that has been in place for decades is going to be easy,” she said, speaking from the capital Beirut.

The protesters demand the wholesale removal of Lebanon’s ruling class, which they see living in luxury while millions endure job losses, deepening poverty, power blackouts and mountains of rubbish piling up in the streets.

Two ministers, Information Minister Manal Abdel Samad and Environment Minister Damianos Kattar, resigned from their posts over the weekend, leading embattled Prime Minister Hassan Diab to propose early elections in order to break the impasse that is plunging Lebanon ever deeper into political and economic crisis.

Nine other members of parliament have also stepped down, but according to Khodr, those in power are adamant about keeping the government in place.

“There were reports that other ministers wanted to tender their resignation, but after intense negotiations behind closed doors, a minister belonging to the Hezbollah camp emerged and said: ‘We are not resigning, the government is still standing, and we will continue to carry out our duties and responsibilities towards our people’,” she said.

 



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Sun directly overhead Kahawa, Meetiyagoda, Elamaldeniya, Ambakolawewa and Bundala at about 12:13 noon today (05th)

Published

on

By

On the apparent northward relative motion of the sun, it is going to be directly over the latitudes of Sri Lanka from 05th to 14th of April  this year.

The nearest areas of Sri Lanka over which the sun is overhead today (05th) are Kahawa, Meetiyagoda, Elamaldeniya, Ambakolawewa and Bundala at about 12:13 noon.

Continue Reading

News

COPA reveals highway robbery in the guise of issuing permits to import EVs

Published

on

Auditor General W.P.C. Wickramaratne speaking during the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA) probe. COPA Chairman MP Aravinda Senarath looks on

A probe by the parliamentary watchdog, the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA), has revealed a significant misuse in the process of issuing licenses to import fully electric vehicles by Sri Lankans working abroad, based on foreign remittances.

The investigation found malpractices, including some importers holding over 600 electric vehicle licenses, as well as licenses being issued to individuals who had not travelled abroad during the relevant period.

The COPA probe, chaired by MP Aravinda Senarath, uncovered evidence that raised suspicions of money laundering in the issuance of licenses.

The Auditor General pointed out that the government lost Rs. 2.42 billion in tax revenue due to an increase in the luxury tax exemption limit for 921 vehicles imported up to September 30, 2024.

The Committee also discussed special audit reports related to a scheme, implemented between May 1, 2022, and September 15, 2023, which granted permits for the importation of fully electric vehicles for Sri Lankans employed abroad, based on foreign remittances.

The Auditor General revealed that 1,077 vehicle permits were issued during this period, of which 77 permits were later cancelled. He also noted that two main institutions acted as importers, providing facilities for 640 permit holders. This suggested that a business had been created under the guise of permit issuance.

Furthermore, due to an increase in the luxury tax exemption threshold, from Rs. 6 million to Rs. 12 million for 921 vehicles imported until September 30, 2024, the Auditor General stated that the government lost tax revenue amounting to Rs. 2.42 billion.

It was also revealed that four individuals, who had not travelled abroad during the relevant period, had been issued electric vehicle permits. Since the circular relevant to this scheme did not specify a minimum duration of overseas employment required for eligibility, individuals, who had been abroad for as little as three days or up to three months, as well as those who travelled intermittently, were granted permits. The Ministry of Labour and Foreign Employment had acted under this scheme before it was revised.

Deputy Ministers Maj Gen (rtd.) Aruna Jayasekera, Nalin Hewage, Sugath Thilakaratne, and MPs Kabir Hashim, Dr. M.L.A.M. Hizbullah, Chandana Sooriyaarachchi, Sagarika Athauda, Oshani Umanga, Dinindu Saman Hennayake, T.K. Jayasundara, Manjula Suraweera Arachchi, Ruwanthilaka Jayakody, Lal Premanath, and several government officials attended the meeting.

by Saman Indrajith

Continue Reading

News

Warning from Bribery boss against making frivolous complaints about political victimisation

Published

on

Director General of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption, Ranga Dissanayake, says that the abuse of the term “political victimisation” will no longer be tolerated, and those who misuse the term will face strict legal action.

Dissanayake told a media conference held at the CIABOC auditorium: “There is a widespread perception that the law is not effectively enforced in this country. This perception has arisen because, as the President mentioned on Anti-Corruption Day, small fish are caught while the big fish escape. This perception exists for several reasons, including delays in the Bribery or Corruption Investigation Commission’s processes. At times, the public is unaware of the injustices that occur within the Commission.”

Addressing politicians who make public statements, he requested, “I sincerely ask political leaders who issue statements to the media to kindly refer to the Anti-Corruption Act No. 9 of 2023 that you have endorsed. Please refrain from making certain statements without a proper understanding. This law has been enacted independently of any prior connections or influences. I have been in this position since the beginning of this year. The Bribery Commission currently has 31 legal officers, and there is no capacity to recruit additional staff at this time.” He also highlighted the significant challenges faced by the Commission, revealing that approximately 4,000 unresolved case files remain due to limited resources and personnel. “No matter what we do, people will still ask, ‘How many criminals have been caught?’ This situation is the result of limited resources and staff,” he explained. Dissanayake also said: “If anyone is going to claim political victimisation, let them find evidence and prove it. Otherwise, the powers granted by this law will be used against those who make false claims.”

By Pradeep Prasanna

Continue Reading

Trending