Connect with us

Latest News

Incoming Bangladesh PM Tarique Rahman, lawmakers sworn into parliament

Published

on

Supporters of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) show a victory sign in front of a banner with Tarique Rahman’s photo [Aljazeera]

Newly elected Bangladesh lawmakers have been sworn into parliament, days after the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) swept the first vote since the 2024 student-led uprising that expelled former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.

Tarique Rahman will take the oath as prime minister later on Tuesday, as the BNP is expected to form a new government after securing more than a two-thirds majority in the elections last week.

Inside the parliament’s oath room, lawmakers pledged loyalty to Bangladesh as they were sworn in by the Chief Election Commissioner AMM Nasir Uddin. Foreign dignitaries, including the Pakistani foreign minister and the speaker of India’s parliament, were in attendance.

Cabinet members were slated to follow suit with another ceremony hosted in front of the parliament building at 4pm (10:00 GMT).

Despite tight security, hundreds of people pooled outside the grounds throughout Tuesday to await the proceedings.

“People really want changes. They want to see new faces in parliament: People with good qualifications, even people who are younger,” said Al Jazeera’s Tanvir Chowdhury, reporting from the capital, Dhaka.

“You’ll see a lot of new faces, and that’s what’s expected: They want new dynamics in parliament.”

The BNP won at least 212 seats in the 300-seat parliament, giving it a strong majority, while the Jamaat-e-Islami party won 77 seats. Hasina’s Awami League was banned from participating in the polls.

Rahman will take over from an interim government that led the country for 18 months after Hasina’s ousting.

He will also be tasked with implementing the July National Charter, which contains 80-plus prospective reforms of Bangladesh’s governance system.

More than 60 percent of the electorate voted to pass the charter in a referendum held at the same time as the election.

The sweeping document introduces term limits, a two-chamber parliament and limits the governing party’s ability to make unilateral amendments, among other changes.

“Lots of fundamental and primary change is expected by the population, particularly the younger population who were behind the July uprising,” Al Jazeera’s Chowdhury said. “They want to be represented in this parliament, and their voices must be heard.”

[Aljazeera]



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

“Sri Lanka Set to Become the First South Asian Country to Enter the Global Charter on Children’s Care Reform”

Published

on

By

Today (17), Sri Lanka officially expressed its Intent to Enter into Global Charter on Children’s Care Reform at the United Nations Compound, Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 07.

The event was attended by the  David Lammy, Member of Parliament, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice and Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. On behalf of Sri Lanka, the official Expression of Intent was made by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs,  Saroja Savithri Paulraj.

Sri Lanka has long been a State Party to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) and remains committed under international law to protecting and promoting children’s rights. The Global Charter for on Children’s Care Reform has been developed based on existing international commitments, including the 2009 United Nations General Assembly Guidelines for the Alternative Care of Children; the 2019 UN General Assembly resolution focusing on the rights of children without parental care (A/RES/74/133); the CRPD/C/5: Guidelines on de-institutionalization, including in emergencies (2022); the 2022 Kigali Declaration of Commonwealth States; and the 2024 1st Global Ministerial Conference on Ending Violence Against Children, which called for action. To date, 34 countries around the world have endorsed this Charter.

As no South Asian country has yet joined this Charter, Sri Lanka is set to become the first South Asian nation to do so.

The primary objective of joining this Charter is to further strengthen Sri Lanka’s national child Care policies and align their implementation with international standards.

The event was collaboratively organized by UNICEF and the British High Commission in Sri Lanka. Among those present were the British High Commissioner to Sri Lanka,  Andrew Patrick; British Deputy High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, Theresa O’Mahony; UN Resident Coordinator in Sri Lanka,  Marc-André Franche; UNICEF Representative to Sri Lanka, Emma Brigham; Secretary to the Ministry of Women and Child Affairs, Tharanganie Wickramasinghe; government officials; representatives of non-governmental organizations; and civil society representatives.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Samra’s record 110 in vain as Phillips and Ravindra put New Zealand in Super Eights

Published

on

By

Yuvraj Samra broke many records on his way to 110 off 65 balls [Cricinfo]

Yuraj Samra’s record-breaking hundred went in vain as New Zealand beat Canada by eight wickets in Chennai to qualify for the Super Eight stage of the 2026 T20 World Cup.

Batting first, Canada posted a competitive 173 for 4, thanks to Samra’s 110 off 65 balls, the highest score by an Associate batter against a Full Member in the tournament’s history. At 19 years and 141 days, the left-hand opener also became the youngest to cross 50 in a men’s T20 World Cup match.

Canada’s bowlers and fielders, though, let them down. They did send back Tim Seifert and Finn Allen inside the first four overs, but Glenn Phillips and Rachin Ravindra snatched the game away from them and ran away with it.

Phillips smashed 76 not out off 36 balls and Ravindra 59 not out off 39. The two added 146 off just 73 balls for the third wicket and took New Zealand home with 4.5 overs to spare.

Matt Henry started the proceedings with four dots to Samra but the opener got going with back-to-back fours off the last two deliveries. Samra faced only five balls in the next four overs but took James Neesham down in the final over of the powerplay. With Neesham operating from around the wicket, he pulled to fine leg, muscled over midwicket, drilled down the ground, and slashed over the covers after coming down the ground. The first three went for fours, the last carried all the way.

Samra kept the scoreboard ticking even after the powerplay. He smashed Kyle Jamieson’s slower ball through extra cover before pulling Cole McConchie for a flat six. Soon, he reached his fifty, off 36 balls.

New Zealand were without Lockie Ferguson and Mitchell Santner. Ferguson has returned home for the birth of his first child and Santner was ruled out because of a “dodgy burger”. In their absence, New Zealand’s bowling attack looked toothless, and Samra took full advantage of it. He started the 13th over by smashing McConchie for 6, 6, 4. Dilpreet Bajwa and he added 116 in 14 overs for the first wicket; Bajwa’s contribution was only 36 off 39 balls.

Samra brought up his hundred off 58 balls, getting there with a toe-ended four past short third. He had a reprieve on 103 when Neesham dropped him at long-on off Henry. The ball burst through Neesham’s hands and went for four. Samra was eventually dismissed in the final over, caught at deep-backward square-leg by Phillips on the second attempt.

Canada’s indiscipline with the ball was evident from the very first over. Jaskaran Singh’s second delivery was down the leg side, which Allen helped to the fine-leg boundary. It was followed by an off-side wide and a front-foot no-ball. Allen attempted a quick single off the latter. The short midwicket fielder missed with the throw at the bowler’s end, and a sloppy effort from the fielder backing up resulted in four overthrows.

Allen then took apart Dilon Heyliger, hitting his first two balls for a four and a six. Seifert also threw his bat around and got one over the covers. Shivam Sharma, the chasing fielder, was casual in his effort near the boundary line and failed to flick the ball back.

Saad Bin Zafar provided temporary relief by having Seifert caught at mid-off. When Allen was caught in the covers off a Heyliger delivery that stuck in the pitch, New Zealand were 30 for 2 in 3.1 overs. But Canada continued to be profligate in the field. Bajwa started the fifth over with a no-ball, and also bowled a wide before Ravindra hit him for two fours in three balls. That allowed New Zealand to finish the powerplay on 60 for 2.

Phillips took the lead after the powerplay. He hit Saad for back-to-back fours before launching Bajwa for a straight six. When Ansh Patel came on to bowl, Phillips treated him with the same disdain, hitting the left-arm wristspinner for three sixes in eight balls. The last of those sixes brought up Phillips’ fifty, off 22 balls.

By the end of the 11th over, New Zealand needed only 53 from 54 balls. Phillips, though, was in a hurry. Against Saad, he switched his hands and pulled him for a six over deep extra-cover, even though there was a fielder at the boundary line. Ravindra, who had taken the backseat, finished the over with another six. A few minutes later, he pulled Jaskaran through midwicket to bring up the victory.

Brief scores:
New Zealand 176 for 2 in 15.1 overs  (Finn Allen 21, Glenn Phillips 76*, Rachin Ravindra 59*, Dilon Heyliger 1-42,  Saad Bin Jaffar  1-29) beat Canada 173 for 4 in 20 overs (Yuraj Samra 110, Dilpreet Bajwa 36, Navneet Dhaliwal 10; Matt Henry 1-28, Jacob Duffy 1-25, Kyle Jamieson 1-41, James Neesham 1-38) by eight wickets

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Long queues and confusion mar first day of India’s landmark AI summit

Published

on

By

The event is being promoted as the first major international AI meeting hosted in the Global South [BBC]

India’s AI Impact Summit, billed as a landmark gathering of global leaders and technology executives, was overshadowed by logistical chaos on its opening day in Delhi on Monday.

Participants complained about long queues, overcrowding and confusion at the venue, saying they had to wait for hours. Some also reported limited access to food and water and said their products were stolen from their stall.

The five-day summit, inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi, is being promoted as the first major international AI meeting hosted in the Global South.

More than 100 countries are taking part, with technology leaders including Sam Altman of OpenAI and Sundar Pichai of Alphabet Inc expected to attend.

EPA/Shutterstock Visitors seen thronging the AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi as posters of the event line the venue on 16 February 2026
Delegates at the event complained of long queues and crowd mismanagement [BBC]

Speaking at the inauguration, Modi said the summit showcased “the extraordinary potential of AI, Indian talent and innovation”, adding that India aimed to shape solutions “not just for India but for the world”.

India’s Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said the summit intended to look at both the benefits and harms of AI.

In the next few days, “we are basically looking at and measuring what [AI’s] impact on human society is going to be”, he said.

But the opening day was marred by complaints of poor crowd management at the summit venue Bharat Mandapam. By Monday afternoon, social media was flooded with complaints from founders, exhibitors and delegates who said security sweeps and last-minute closures left them stranded outside exhibition halls.

Maitreya Wagh, co-founder of voice AI start-up Bolna, wrote on X that he was unable to access his company’s booth after gates were closed. Punit Jain, founder of tech platform Reskill, described “7 AM queues” followed by hours of waiting and a “full evacuation” before the prime minister’s arrival.

Reuters reported that some speakers were still awaiting confirmation of their session timings, adding to concerns over mismanagement.

Getty Images Prime Minister Narendra Modi seen wearing a white kurta and beige vest flanked by three men in suits at the India AI Impact Summit 2026. He is standing before a map of India shown under a glass case.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the summit on Monday [BBC]

Dhananjay Yadav, founder of wearable AI start-up NeoSapiens, alleged that products from his company’s stall were stolen at the venue. Writing on X, he said the firm had spent heavily on travel, accommodation and exhibition space, “only to see our wearables disappear inside a high-security zone”.

Several attendees also complained about payment arrangements at food stalls inside the venue, saying food counters were accepting only cash and not digital payments, adding to the inconvenience, particularly for international visitors.

Soumya Sharma, founder of healthcare-focused Livo AI, said several discussions were held behind closed doors and that security shut down sessions because of overcrowding, preventing many delegates from taking part.

The closures, he suggested, undercut the summit’s ambition to showcase India’s AI ecosystem to a global audience.

While he said he attended some “excellent sessions”, Sharma added that operational lapses risked overshadowing the substance of the event. “Unless we get the basics right, we cannot claim to be utilising AI to its fullest,” he wrote on X. “AI is only part of the system. We must solve basic on-ground issues first.”

Organisers and the government have yet to respond publicly to the complaints. The BBC has reached out to the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology for a comment.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Trending