Connect with us

News

Hakeem threatens to bring contempt of court charges against govt officials ignoring SC order on VFS-Visa scam

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

SLMC leader Rauff Hakeem on Wednesday in parliament threatened to bring contempt of court charges against Controller Immigration and Emigration and Secretary to the Ministry of Public Security if they continue to sabotage an order given by the Supreme Court to revert to the previously existing online visa system.

Participating in a debate on the Mid – Year Fiscal Position Report – 2024, Hakeem said that there was information and facts to prove that these two officials deliberately engaged in sabotaging the Supreme Court order and hiding facts that would reveal those who had been involvement in the VFS-visa scam.

“We warn these officials to stop these underhand efforts to sabotage the implementation of the Supreme Court order immediately. If not, we’ll bring charges of contempt of court against them,” Hakeem said.

The SLMC leader said that after the Supreme Court gave an interim order to revert to the online visa system status quo ante, the Controller Immigration had redirected online visa applicants from the official website www.eta.gov.lk to a private website www.srilankaevisa.lk. This is a dubious web site belonging to a private company of which the proprietors cannot be found. When checked we found that the domain.lk registry too has no registration of this website. This is illegal and against the Supreme Court order.

“The VFS-Visa scam is a broad daylight robbery. This scam had been planned to earn 100 times more than the amount of money pocketed off from the Bond Scam. We provided the facts to the Supreme Court too. Since 2021 the Mobitel Company coming under Sri Lanka Telecom of the government had been providing the online visa application services to the visitors to this country. When they introduced the electronic travel authorization system in 2021, it was for the first time not only in the South Asian region but also in near eastern destinations.

Mobitel was given an international award for their innovation. This system needed to be upgraded when there was an increase in the load of applications. So, they prepared an upgrading plan and submitted it to the relevant authorities. Within a week, a cabinet paper had been prepared and the job was given to two private companies based in Singapore and Dubai. These two companies are middlemen, and they had VFS Global as their technical partner. The VFS charges 50 US dollar cents from a person travelling to India from Malaysia. The charge is the same when a person travels to India from Indonesia. The amount charged by this private entity when a person enters Sri Lanka is 25 US dollars. Had Mobitel been allowed to make such charges, it could have earned 1.74 billion US dollars – an amount equal to 35.5% of the IMF bailout package to this country.

The project from its start had been dubious. It was made on the basis of an unsolicited proposal. The cabinet had been told that they would give 200 million US dollars to upgrade our system. But there is no such mention in the agreement. The cabinet had been fed with lies to get its approval.

After the court order was given, we summoned Mobitel Chairman before the parliamentary committee and found that they had sent their technicians to the Department of Immigration and Emigration, but the Controller was reluctant to support reverting to the previously existing system. The technicians have not been given access to the system. They have been given access only to the Front End of the system while the controller has prevented their access to the Back End. This is deliberate sabotage.

“Almost all these officials including the Controller Immigration and Secretary to the Ministry of Public Security trying to scuttle the investigations into the VFS-Visa scam and reversing the previous system are from a single ministry.

“Now the Sri Lanka Telecom is listed to be sold off. Its value has been stated as USD 200 million. Had this contract been given to them instead of a private consortium, the SLT’s value would have been now at USD 800 million.

“We demand that these officials stop hindering investigations and sabotaging the court order to hide the names of fraudsters because they would soon be in trouble. If they won’t stop the sabotage moves, we will bring contempt of court charges against them,” Hakeem said.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Discussions between Sri Lankan and Indian delegations at the presidential secretariat

Published

on

By

Following the conclusion of bilateral discussions between President Anura Kumara Disanayake and Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, official-level talks between the delegations of Sri Lanka and India commenced this morning (05) at the Presidential Secretariat in Colombo.

Representing the Government of Sri Lanka were Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Employment and Tourism, Vijitha Herath; Minister of Labour and Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Anil Jayantha; Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake; Governor of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, Dr. P. Nandalal Weerasinghe, along with other senior officials.

The Indian delegation included Minister of External Affairs Dr. S. Jaishankar, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri and His Excellency Santosh Jha, High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka, along with several other senior officials of the Government of India.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi arrives at the presidential secretariat

Published

on

By

Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, who arrived in Sri Lanka on the invitation of President Anura Kumara Disanayake on Friday [04] night, visited the Presidential Secretariat this morning (05).

The Indian Prime Minister was warmly welcomed by President Anura Kumara Disanayake upon his arrival at the Presidential Secretariat.

Prime Minister Modi is currently on a state visit to Sri Lanka, reaffirming the theme  “Friendship of Centuries — Commitment to a Prosperous Future” which symbolises the longstanding ties between Sri Lanka and India. The Indian Premier is scheduled to remain in the country until tomorrow (06).

[PMD]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Indian PM receives warm welcome

Published

on

By

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake welcomes Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Independence Square this (05) morning

The official welcoming ceremony for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was held this morning (05) at the Independence Square in Colombo.

On arrival at the Independence Square the Indian Prime Minister was warmly welcomed by President Anura Kumara Disanayake.

 

Continue Reading

Trending