News
Easter carnage:
Hadiya’s testimony in camera: Eran questioned on his claims over terror funding
by Shamindra Ferdinando
Police investigating a complaint lodged by the State Intelligence Service (SIS) have questioned Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) MP Eran Wickremaratne on his recent accusations pertaining to post-2019 Easter Sunday carnage developments and revelations.
Police headquarters said that the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had recorded the SJB National List MP’s statement over certain claims made by him at a media conference given on Nov 12.
The CID dealt with the MP’s claim pertaining to the funding of the Easter Sunday attackers, the threat on Easter Sunday bomber Zahran Hashim’s widow Abdul Cader Fathima Hadiya and her being detained at the Tangalle prison.
Police headquarters said that the Prisons Department denied ever moving Fathima Hardiya to the Tangalle Prison.
Authoritative sources told The Island that an attempt was being made to divert the public attention away from those really responsible for the Easter Sunday carnage.
The CID has told the former UNP State Minister Wickremaratne that he was questioned over his comments on a statement purported to have been made by Fathima Hardiya before the Presidential Commission on the Easter attacks.
Lawmaker Wickremaratne who arrived at the CID at 2.30 pm on Monday left four hours later.
The Police headquarters said that the CID recorded the MP’s statement in respect of what the police described as uncertain and disputable claims. On the basis of the MP’s statement, the CID has initiated an inquiry into a website that covered Zahran’s wife being moved to Welikanda hospital after she was tested corona positive soon after she gave evidence before the P CoI in camera on Oct 23 and 24.
In addition to direct links between suicide bombers and the Directorate of Military Intelligence (DMI) as alleged by some, a section of the media quoted Hadiya as having revealed funding received by her husband in the run-up to the Easter attacks. The media also alleged that the bomber who blew himself up at Dehiwela had been in touch with a Military Intelligence officer less than an hour before his suicide blast.
Last Friday (13) DIG Ajith Rohana, who is also the head of the Police Legal Division told the media of the appointment of two teams to probe an alleged attempt to undermine ongoing investigations into Easter carnage.
Six suicide blasts on Easter Sunday 2019 claimed 270 lives whereas over 500 others received injuries.
Authoritative sources said that Hadiya recovered and was safe.