Connect with us

News

“Cabinet not in dark about LNG deal with New Fortress,” says UNP

Published

on

by Piyasena Dissanayake

The UNP said on Thursday that it would not believe the story floating around that Cabinet ministers were in the dark about the government’s signing a deal with the US based New Fortress Energy to build an offshore liquified natural gas (LNG) receiving, storage and regasification terminal.

Addressing a press conference at the Abhayaramaya in Narahenpita, UNP Chairman Wajira Abeywardena said that the cabinet paper to the effect had been first submitted to the cabinet meeting held on Sept 9.

“The agreement was signed on Sept 18. It is impossible to believe that the ministers of the cabinet did not read the paper submitted to them nine days before. It is a lie that these ministers were not aware of the content of that paper given to them. It seems another ruse by a group of ministers to show that they have a different stance and show themselves off as a group against this. They all have approved it and are now playing a different tune to save their individual faces. The truth is that the agreement has been signed and all ministers in the cabinet are responsible for the deal,” Abeywardena said.

He said that what matters is the rationale behind the signing of the agreement. “What should be clear at this point is whether the government opted for this move for the benefit of electricity consumers of this country or someone within the government was earning commissions out of this. The electricity prices for the consumers locally are comparatively higher than many other countries. The government should think of cleaner and cheaper energy at the lowest possible price to consumers. It does not matter whether it enters into an agreement with the US, China or India for that purpose. It should protect the interests of consumers,” he said.

The US company New Fortress Energy Inc. and the government have entered into an agreement for New Fortress’ investment in West Coast Power Limited, the owner of the 310 MW Yugadanavi Power Plant, along with the rights to develop a new LNG Terminal off the coast of Colombo.

As part of the transaction, New Fortress will have gas supply rights to the Kerawalapitiya Power Complex, where 310 MW of power is generated today and an additional 700 MW to be added, with 350 MW to be available by 2023.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Sun directly overhead Kahawa, Meetiyagoda, Elamaldeniya, Ambakolawewa and Bundala at about 12:13 noon today (05th)

Published

on

By

On the apparent northward relative motion of the sun, it is going to be directly over the latitudes of Sri Lanka from 05th to 14th of April  this year.

The nearest areas of Sri Lanka over which the sun is overhead today (05th) are Kahawa, Meetiyagoda, Elamaldeniya, Ambakolawewa and Bundala at about 12:13 noon.

Continue Reading

News

COPA reveals highway robbery in the guise of issuing permits to import EVs

Published

on

Auditor General W.P.C. Wickramaratne speaking during the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA) probe. COPA Chairman MP Aravinda Senarath looks on

A probe by the parliamentary watchdog, the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA), has revealed a significant misuse in the process of issuing licenses to import fully electric vehicles by Sri Lankans working abroad, based on foreign remittances.

The investigation found malpractices, including some importers holding over 600 electric vehicle licenses, as well as licenses being issued to individuals who had not travelled abroad during the relevant period.

The COPA probe, chaired by MP Aravinda Senarath, uncovered evidence that raised suspicions of money laundering in the issuance of licenses.

The Auditor General pointed out that the government lost Rs. 2.42 billion in tax revenue due to an increase in the luxury tax exemption limit for 921 vehicles imported up to September 30, 2024.

The Committee also discussed special audit reports related to a scheme, implemented between May 1, 2022, and September 15, 2023, which granted permits for the importation of fully electric vehicles for Sri Lankans employed abroad, based on foreign remittances.

The Auditor General revealed that 1,077 vehicle permits were issued during this period, of which 77 permits were later cancelled. He also noted that two main institutions acted as importers, providing facilities for 640 permit holders. This suggested that a business had been created under the guise of permit issuance.

Furthermore, due to an increase in the luxury tax exemption threshold, from Rs. 6 million to Rs. 12 million for 921 vehicles imported until September 30, 2024, the Auditor General stated that the government lost tax revenue amounting to Rs. 2.42 billion.

It was also revealed that four individuals, who had not travelled abroad during the relevant period, had been issued electric vehicle permits. Since the circular relevant to this scheme did not specify a minimum duration of overseas employment required for eligibility, individuals, who had been abroad for as little as three days or up to three months, as well as those who travelled intermittently, were granted permits. The Ministry of Labour and Foreign Employment had acted under this scheme before it was revised.

Deputy Ministers Maj Gen (rtd.) Aruna Jayasekera, Nalin Hewage, Sugath Thilakaratne, and MPs Kabir Hashim, Dr. M.L.A.M. Hizbullah, Chandana Sooriyaarachchi, Sagarika Athauda, Oshani Umanga, Dinindu Saman Hennayake, T.K. Jayasundara, Manjula Suraweera Arachchi, Ruwanthilaka Jayakody, Lal Premanath, and several government officials attended the meeting.

by Saman Indrajith

Continue Reading

News

Warning from Bribery boss against making frivolous complaints about political victimisation

Published

on

Director General of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption, Ranga Dissanayake, says that the abuse of the term “political victimisation” will no longer be tolerated, and those who misuse the term will face strict legal action.

Dissanayake told a media conference held at the CIABOC auditorium: “There is a widespread perception that the law is not effectively enforced in this country. This perception has arisen because, as the President mentioned on Anti-Corruption Day, small fish are caught while the big fish escape. This perception exists for several reasons, including delays in the Bribery or Corruption Investigation Commission’s processes. At times, the public is unaware of the injustices that occur within the Commission.”

Addressing politicians who make public statements, he requested, “I sincerely ask political leaders who issue statements to the media to kindly refer to the Anti-Corruption Act No. 9 of 2023 that you have endorsed. Please refrain from making certain statements without a proper understanding. This law has been enacted independently of any prior connections or influences. I have been in this position since the beginning of this year. The Bribery Commission currently has 31 legal officers, and there is no capacity to recruit additional staff at this time.” He also highlighted the significant challenges faced by the Commission, revealing that approximately 4,000 unresolved case files remain due to limited resources and personnel. “No matter what we do, people will still ask, ‘How many criminals have been caught?’ This situation is the result of limited resources and staff,” he explained. Dissanayake also said: “If anyone is going to claim political victimisation, let them find evidence and prove it. Otherwise, the powers granted by this law will be used against those who make false claims.”

By Pradeep Prasanna

Continue Reading

Trending