News
Bathiudeens’ lawyer claims conspiracy to undermine national level Muslim politicians

By Shamindra Ferdinando
Attorney-at-law Rushdhie Habeeb alleges that the recent arrest of All Ceylon Makkal Congress (ACMC) leader Rishad Bathiudeen, MP, in connection with the ongoing police investigations, is part of a despicable conspiracy to undermine Muslim politicians at the national level.
Habeeb said so yesterday (28) in his capacity as the lawyer for Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) MP Bathiudeen when The Island sought clarification as regards the Opposition political parties’ response to the latest development.
Responding to another query, Habeeb emphasised that the government, under tremendous pressure from various parties, particularly the Catholic Church over the delay in bringing investigations to a successful conclusion, was pursing a political agenda.
The lawyer said that he represented the interests of MP Bathiudeen, his brother, Riyajj, and their families, as well as the ACMC.
Pointing out that Bathiudeen had been in the Cabinet of the then Presidents, Mahinda Rajapaksa (2010-2014) and Maithripala Sirisena (2015-2019), Habeeb said that several MPs, including SJB leader Sajith Premadasa, Patali Champika Ranawaka, Dr. Rajitha Senaratne, Mujibur Rahman, Mano Ganesan, Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam, Imthiaz Bakeer Markar, Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando, both in and outside Parliament, had questioned the government strategy.
Habeeb said that on his behalf, a junior lawyer sought a copy of the Detention Order obtained by the CID in terms of the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA) from the Director, Criminal Investigation Department (CID). The DOs allow the CID to detain the Bathiudeen brothers for 90 days. Director, Media, Police headquarters, SSP Nihal Thalduwa yesterday confirmed the issuance of DOs.
In a statement issued soon after the police arrested the Bathiudeen brothers, in the early hours of Saturday (24), Habeeb said that the SJB constituent, the ACMC group in Parliament, comprised four lawmakers, including Rishad. In addition to them, there were 169 ACMC members in Local Government authorities, Habeeb said, underscoring the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into the 2019 Easter Sunday carnage didn’t receive any incriminatory evidence in respect of the former Minister.
Appreciating the public stand taken by Opposition lawmakers, Habeeb called for, what he called a greater consensus among those genuinely opposed to the government strategy.
Weeks after the Easter Sunday carnage, all nine Muslim politicians, including Bathiudeen, relinquished their ministerial portfolios in the wake of the then UNP National List lawmaker Ven. Atureliye Rathana undertaking a fast demanding the removal of Rishad Bathiudeen and two Governors-Azath Sally (Western Province) and M.L.A.M. Hisbullah (Eastern Province). In late July, Bathiudeen and SLMC leader Rauff Hakeem were among those who re-accepted ministerial portfolios, claiming investigations cleared them.
Asked whether the UNP backed the ACMC led campaign against its leader’s arrest, UNP Chairman Vajira Abeywardena yesterday said that the arrest of lawmakers in the absence of proper charges couldn’t be condoned under any circumstances. However, the UNP wouldn’t want to take a stand hastily as regards MP Bathiudeen’s arrest. “We’ll let the public know our stand once the party studied the case.”
At the time Bathiudeen was accused of close links with the now proscribed National Thowheed Jamaat (NTJ), blamed for the Easter Sunday carnage, his party functioned as a constituent of the UNP-led coalition. In early 2020, Bathiudeen switched his allegiance to the SJB. Habeeb alleged that the government targeted MP Bathiudeen because he backed Sajith Premadasa at the 2019 presidential election.
Habeeb strongly denied much publicised police headquarters accusations that the Bathiudeen brothers aided and abetted those responsible for the Easter carnage. The latest arrests were made close on the heels of the SJB alleging that those in power now, are suppressing the Easter Sunday investigations. The lawyer said that the government was yet to respond to specific questions raised by lawmakers Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando in Parliament.
Meanwhile, an officer who had been with the intelligence apparatus told The Island that the CoI was fully briefed of pre – and post-developments of the April 21, 2019 attacks. Terming the accusations as politically motivated the ex-military man said that the CoI report would help the ongoing police investigations as well as studies undertaken by the Attorney General’s Department.
According to him, a full disclosure pertaining to certain aspects of intelligence operations would undermine Sri Lanka’s relationship with friendly countries. Therefore, both the government and the Opposition would have to address the issues at hand, cautiously.
Latest News
Special Train Services during Sinhala and Tamil New Year

The General Manager of Railways has announced that the following special train services will operate during the Sinhala and Tamil New Year period.
1. From Colombo Fort to Badulla – departing Colombo Fort at 1930 hrs on 11th, 12th, 19th and 20th April
2. From Badulla to Colombo Fort – departing Badulla at 1750 hrs on 11th, 12th, 19th and 20th April
3. From Galle to Anuradhapura – departing Galle at 0400 hrs on 12th and 13th April
4. From Anuradhapura to Galle – departing Anuradhapura at 1500 hrs on 12th and 13th April
5. From Colombo Fort to Galle – departing Colombo Fort at 120 hrs on 10th, 11th, 15th and 20th April
6. From Galle to Colombo Fort – departing Galle at 0610 hrs on 11th, 12th, 16th and 21st April
7. From Colombo Fort to Galle – departing Colombo Fort at 1330 hrs on 12th and 13th April
8. From Colombo Fort to Kankasanthurai [Intercity Express] – departing Colombo Fort at 0530 hrs on 11th and 18th April
9. From Kankasanthurai to Colombo Fort [Intercity Express] – departing Kankasanthurai at 1350 hrs on 11th and 18th April
10. From Beliatta to Colombo Fort – departing Beliatta at 0825 hrs on 12th, 13th, 18th, 19th and 20th April
News
PM strengthens vocational education and economic ties with Germany

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya visited Hamburg, Germany, focusing on strengthening vocational education and economic partnerships between the two nations. During her visit, she participated in the 102nd East Asia Friendship Dinner, met with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and engaged in high-level discussions on investment, education, and economic reforms.
As a Guest of Honour at the German Asia-Pacific Business Association (OAV) annual gathering, Prime Minister Amarasuriya addressed an audience of business leaders and dignitaries, emphasizing Sri Lanka’s economic recovery and its potential as a growing investment destination. She highlighted the contributions of over 160 German companies in Sri Lanka and invited further collaboration in trade and business.
In her capacity as the Minister of Education, Higher Education, and Vocational Education, the Prime Minister delivered a keynote speech at the ’German-Asian Forum on Vocational Education & Training.’ She acknowledged Germany’s decades-long support in Sri Lanka’s vocational education sector and stressed the importance of modernizing vocational training to align with industry demands. Additionally, she visited ITECH vocational school and German research hubs such as NXP Semiconductors and DESY, discussing collaboration in IT and technology-driven industries.
During her discussions with President Steinmeier, Prime Minister Amarasuriya reiterated Sri Lanka’s commitment to economic stability, social protection, and national unity. She also attended a business roundtable, where she engaged with German companies and government representatives on economic expansion, digitalization, and sustainable development initiatives.
The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s Ambassador to Germany, Varuni Muthukumarana, and senior embassy officials.
[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
News
IGP under pressure to probe latest custodial death

Attorney-at-Law Senaka Perera on behalf of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners (Guarantee) Limited has asked Acting IGP Priyantha Weerasooriya to inquire into the death of Sathsara Nimesh soon after he was admitted to the Mulleriyawa mental hospital by Welikada police on the night of April 1.
In a letter dated April 3 addressed to the IGP, the lawyer said that the victim’s mother Lekamwasam Liyanage Samanthi, who visited Welikada police station the following day, thad been old that her son made a bid to commit suicide at the police station. Quoting the victim’s mother the lawyer said that the clothes worn by Nimesh at the time he was taken into custody by Welikada police were found within the premises.
Responding to queries, the human rights activist said that Nimesh had been caught by a group of people at Nawala road, Welikada around 7.30 pm-8 pm on April 1. Alleging that Nimesh who had been undergoing training at a private hospital as a caregiver was acting suspiciously, the group called in the police on 119 emergency line and handed him over to the police, Perera said, urging the IGP to ensure that the police followed laid out procedures when dealing with suspects.
The Attorney-at-law said that the victim’s mother had visited Mulleriyawa hospital and was able to speak with a doctor who had been present at the time Nimesh was brought there. The doctor had told her that her son was barely alive at the time he was brought in. Perera alleged that Welikada police made an attempt to allude that Nimesh was mentally unsound. If the police had been genuinely concerned about Nimesh in case he was experiencing sudden difficulty, they should have rushed him to the National Hospital, Perera said.
Acknowledging the need to deal firmly with those who are on the wrong side of the law, the rights group said that the police couldn’t adopt Gestapo-style strategies.
The National People’s Power (NPP) government couldn’t turn a blind eye to what was going on regardless of the change of government in last Sept. There had been at least two recent deaths in police custody, Perera said, referring to an incident in the Kotahena police area in the third week of February this year.
Police shot dead two persons arrested over the killing of Shashi Kumar in a mobile phone shop at Kotahena. Police claimed that law enforcement men had to open fire when the suspects made an attempt to grab a weapon from an officer while being taken to a hideout to recover hidden guns.
Lawyer Perera said that police should be ashamed to repeat a blatant lie often used by them though they knew no one accepted that.
Political parties represented in parliament should take up this matter vigorously, he said, urging the government to put an end to custodial deaths, he said. The lawyer pointed out that the Supreme Court, too, has intervened in the matter and the issue was taken up at the highest level.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
-
News5 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
Sports6 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News7 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Sports2 days ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
News6 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features6 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Features6 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know
-
Latest News4 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win