Sports
Aryna Sabalenka beats Coco Gauff and faces Zheng Qinwen
Aryna Sabalenka remains on track to defend her Australian Open crown after reaching the Melbourne final by avenging her loss to Coco Gauff in last year’s US Open showpiece.
Belarusian second seed Sabalenka won 7-6 (7-2) 6-4 against American fourth seed Gauff in a tense semi-final. Both were edgy in an error-strewn first set with six breaks before Sabalenka pounced decisively late in the second.
Sabalenka will face Chinese 12th seed Zheng Qinwen in Saturday’s final.
Zheng, 21, reached her first Grand Slam showpiece by ending Ukrainian qualifier Dayana Yastremska’s incredible run with a 6-4 6-4 win in Thursday’s second semi-final. Zheng is aiming to become the second Chinese woman to win the Australian Open singles title – on the 10th anniversary of Li Na’s famous victory. “It feels unbelievable,” Zheng said. “I’m super excited to have such a great performance and arrive in the final
Anticipation for the contest between Sabalenka and Gauff at the opening Grand Slam of the season was high.
Both players had been impressive as they worked their way through the draw, setting up a rematch of their thrilling US Open final which 19-year-old Gauff edged in September to claim her first major title. It took place under the roof on Rod Laver Arena – as did the second semi-final – because of persistent rain in Melbourne.
Sabalenka had been particularly dominant and, after showing resilience to recover from sticky spells against Gauff, still has not dropped a set over the past fortnight.
The 25-year-old Belarusian unleashed her explosive game on Gauff from the start, cracking 33 winners and attacking her opponent’s second serve in a high-octane demonstration of her power.
While Sabalenka’s style still often leads to errors, she seems more at ease at Melbourne Park this fortnight having the experience of lifting her first major title here.
Now, after keeping her composure to serve out victory, she is the first woman to reach back-to-back finals since Serena Williams in 2017.
“I think I was able to focus on myself and I was prepared for her moving really good and putting every ball back,” said Sabalenka, who has reached at least the semi-finals of the past six majors. “I had to be ready to make an extra shot and I was ready for tonight.”

Gauff fulfilled what had long seemed her destiny by winning in New York, when she fought back from a set down to beat Sabalenka. This time she was unable to repeat the feat as Sabalenka ended her unbeaten start to the 2024 season.
Gauff came to Melbourne on the back of winning a WTA title in Auckland and did not drop a set in her opening four matches.
But, after scraping past Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk in what she called a “bad” quarter-final, she looked extremely nervy in the early stages of the semi-final. Gauff’s tension was illustrated by six double faults in the first set, although she also showed her ability to mentally reset as she twice recovered from being a break down.
After soaking up so much pressure, Gauff broke for 6-5 but blew the chance to serve out the set from 30-0 and was punished as Sabalenka dominated the tie-break. Gauff had to fight off more break points in the first and sixth games of the second set, with the pressure telling when loose errors from the baseline allowed Sabalenka to break for 5-4.
This time, Sabalenka did not allow the opportunity to slip from her grasp and earned the “revenge” she wanted to exact on Gauff for her Flushing Meadows defeat. “It was a tough match for me,” said Gauff, who looked close to tears while she left Rod Laver Arena. “Overall it was a positive tournament. I had chances in both sets, but she played better. I think it just came down to a couple of points and that’s tennis.”

Unlike Sabalenka and Gauff, neither Zheng nor Yastremska had ever played a Grand Slam semi-final match – and both were looking to emulate notable major triumphs of the recent past. Zheng – an aggressive baseliner with a hefty serve – was aiming to follow in the footsteps of Chinese trailblazer Li.
Yastremska, meanwhile, was the first qualifier to reach the last four of a major since Britain’s Emma Raducanu at the 2021 US Open.
It was Zheng who continued her journey to the delight of a vocal Chinese backing in a city where there is a large population with links to the Asian country.
After dropping her opening service game, Zheng instantly broke Yastremska and took the 23-year-old Ukrainian’s serve once more to seal the opener.
Yastremska, who said it was her “mission” to ensure people remember about her nation’s fight against Russia’s ongoing invasion, needed treatment for what appeared to be an abdominal injury.
But, as promised before the match, the world number 93 continued to show the same fight she had displayed to come through qualifying to make the last four.
Losing serve for 2-1, Yastremska stopped Zheng consolidating the break by taking her fourth break-point opportunity in the next game.
However, a double fault set the tone for a poor seventh game where Zheng pounced again and the Chinese player used her dominant serve to see out victory.
(BBC)
Latest News
Zimbabwe take on Ireland with clarity about Super Eights path
When Ireland arrived in Kandy on Sunday afternoon, with just two points after three games, their chances of qualifying for Super Eights may have seemed fanciful. But courtesy an outstanding Sri Lankan chase against Australia on Monday night, the possibilities for Group B have been thrown wide open.
Sri Lanka have qualified, but Ireland now know that a win against Zimbabwe on Tuesday will keep them in with a very real chance of qualification – provided Sri Lanka also beat Zimbabwe in their final match.
If those very specific set of circumstances – including Australia beating Oman – occur, then Australia, Zimbabwe and Ireland could all end on four points each, separated solely by net run-rate.
But that might be getting ahead of ourselves. Zimbabwe simply need to win against Ireland to end all speculation, and considering they’re coming off a stunning 23-run victory over Australia, it would take a brave person to back against them.
Captain Sikandar Raza is also not one to allow his team to let their guard down. He has emphasised the need to maintain focus, warning that earlier performances will “count for nothing if the team slips up now.
Ireland, meanwhile, have lost to Sri Lanka and Australia earlier in the tournament but their dominant 96-run win over Oman – including a tournament-high of 235 – will have provided a timely boost in confidence. They also come in with a chip on their shoulder, over constant comparisons to Associate nations, something they will be keen to put right with a win over Zimbabwe.
Lending more unpredictability to this game is that the historical rivalry is remarkably balanced, with both sides having won eight apiece of their 18 T20I meetings.
With the extra bounce on offer, the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium is one of the rare Sri Lanka grounds where more wickets have fallen to seam (201) than spin (154). It would be no surprise if seamers from both teams prove to be the difference on Tuesday.
In Richard Ngarava, Blessing Muzarabani and Brad Evans, Zimbabwe have a pace triumvirate that can be the envy of any side in this tournament. They’ve taken 16 wickets amongst them, and managed to brush past Australia even with Ngarava out of the XI. Moreover, Muzarabani has won two Player-of-the-Match awards.
In Mark Adair, Ireland have the quintessential work horse. Despite making his debut after Josh Little and Barry McCarthy, he’s played more T20Is – 100 – than the other two and managed to pick up 142 wickets. He also loves bowling against Zimbabwe; his 24 wickets are the most he has taken against an opposition. With Little finding his form last time out with a first three-for since March 2024, Ireland will know any chance of success depends on how quick their seam-bowling unit find their rhythm.
Ireland are unlikely to change a winning combination after their exploits against Oman.
Ireland (probable XI): Tim Tector, Ross Adair, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker (capt & wk), Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Josh Little Barry McCarthy, Matthew Humphreys
Zimbabwe would have had a close eye on the pitch Sri Lanka played Australia on, but the only expected change is the return of Richard Ngarava who missed out last time as a precaution.
Zimbabwe (probable XI): Brian Bennett, Tadiwanashe Marumani (wk), Dion Myers, Sikandar Raza (capt), Ryan Burl, Tashinga Musekiwa, Brad Evans, Wellington Masakadza, Graeme Cremer, Blessing Muzarabani Richard Ngarava
[Cricinfo]
Sports
India pass RPS Litmus Test with commanding win
India arrived at this World Cup with the pundits tipping them to defend the crown they lifted two years ago in Barbados. On paper, they looked a side with every base covered, power at the top, steel in the middle and a bowling unit that can squeeze the life out of any chase. The only perceived chink in the armour was how they would fare on slow, gripping surfaces where the ball refuses to come onto the bat, the kind served up at Colombo’s R. Premadasa Stadium.
On Sunday, against arch-rivals Pakistan, they ticked that box with authority.
India-Pakistan contests have carried added political edge since the Kargil conflict of 1999 between the two nuclear-armed neighbours. The hype machine goes into overdrive each time they meet. Yet beneath the noise, one stark truth remains, India have held the upper hand in recent years and more often than not it has been one-way traffic.
RPS is not a venue for the faint-hearted. It exposes free-flowing strokemakers and humbles flat-track bullies. Ask Australia, who ate humble pie there against Zimbabwe last week. At Premadasa, flair alone won’t cut it; you need patience, game awareness and the willingness to graft. But India, unfazed by reputation or conditions, turned that theory on its head.
It was opener Ishan Kishan who lit up the cauldron with a swashbuckling 77 off 44 balls, striking at 200 and treating the sluggish surface with calculated disdain. He pierced gaps, picked lengths early and made the pitch look far more obliging than it truly was. Once India surged past the 170 mark, Pakistan were chasing shadows.
Such is the depth of India’s bowling arsenal that even 150 often feels like a mountain to opponents. They hunt in packs, squeeze in the middle overs and shut the door at the death.
As for Kishan, he had been in the wilderness for more than two years before earning a recall on the back of prolific domestic form. Since returning, he has grabbed his chance with both hands and refused to loosen his grip.
In a 20-nation tournament where scripts can flip in the space of two overs, it would be foolish to declare the race run. T20 cricket has a habit of turning logic upside down. Yet on current evidence, not many sides possess the depth, balance and bench strength to knock India off their perch.
Envy often follows success, and India have had their fair share of both. But their dominance is not built on the IPL alone. It stems from a culture that demands players step outside their comfort zones, evolve and buy into a larger blueprint. Those unwilling to embrace that ethos are quickly left high and dry.
Sunday’s spectacle was also a reminder of cricket’s economic pull. RPS was packed to the rafters, a sea of blue with pockets of green, as thousands of Indian and Pakistani fans created a carnival atmosphere. Their presence was a welcome shot in the arm for Sri Lankan economy, with many extending their stay to soak in the south coast’s scenic charms.
With shifting geopolitics in the region and several of India’s neighbours at daggers drawn, Sri Lanka is poised to host more marquee contests in the years ahead. The challenge now is to keep raising standards, upgrading facilities, maintaining venues and ensuring fans leave with memories worth repeating. On Sunday, on and off the field, it was a show befitting the occasion.
by Rex Clementine
Sports
Trinity make strong start after restricting Nalanda to 259
Dimantha Mahavithana (44n.o.) and Pulisha Thilakarathne (31n.o.) put on an unfinished first wicket stand for Trinity to post 82 for no wickets at stumps in reply to Nalanda’s 259 on day one of the Under 19 match which commenced at Asgiriya on Monday.
The home team were scoring at a healthy run rate of close to five runs an over.
The return of Sri Lanka Under 19 players seem to have made their lineup stronger as both Sethmika Senevirathne and Mahavithana made their presence felt.
Senevirathne shared six wickets with Chaniru Senarathne to restrict visitors to 259 runs.
For Nalanda, Ranmith Dinuwara (51) and Mihin Zoysa (53) made half centuries, while Osanda Pamuditha (47) and Gevindu Manamperi (36) were the others to make notable contributions. (RF)
-
Life style2 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business1 day agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features2 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA question of national pride
-
Business6 days agoAutodoc 360 relocates to reinforce commitment to premium auto care
-
Opinion5 days agoWill computers ever be intelligent?
-
Features2 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features2 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
