Connect with us

News

AG reacts to delay in corona probe: Wants to instruct probe team personally

Published

on

‘… second wave caused serious threat to people’

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Expressing serious concern over the delay in initiating a criminal investigation into the sudden eruption of covid-19 second wave in the first week of Oct, Attorney General Dappula de Livera, PC, has told Acting IGP C.D. Wickremaratne that he would personally issue instructions to the investigators.

Wickremaratne has been informed of the AG’s unprecedented move on Thursday (5) in the wake of the inordinate delay in the high profile probe.

There hadn’t been a previous instance of AG de Livera or any of his predecessors calling police investigators for a briefing before the commencement of an investigation.

As per instructions issued in writing on Oct 5, President’s Counsel de Livera emphasized that advising the team of police officers chosen by the Acting IGP was his legitimate duty and responsibility.

The AG has told the IGP to submit him a list of officers tasked with the investigation.

The unexpected move made by the AG revealed the lapse on the part of law enforcement authorities in initiating an investigation.

AG’s Coordinating Officer State Counsel Nishara Jayaratne told The Island on Nov 5 that the latest intervention was made after specific instructions issued on Oct 29 as regards the launch of an investigation weren’t heeded. Ms Jayaratne said that instructions were issued on Oct 27 and Oct 29 in that regard directing an inquiry into the dangerous situation caused by what the AG called the ‘Brandix cluster.’

Pointing out the catastrophic situation faced by the entire country, the AG directed the appointment of a senior team consisting of experienced investigators to handle the investigation.

Earlier the AG called for a new team after the Colombo Crime Division (CCD) tasked with the investigation was seriously affected by covid-19 epidemic.

The Acting IGP handed over the investigation to the CCD against the backdrop of the country’s premier investigation agency the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) being embroiled in the controversial release of Riyaj Bathiudeen’s held under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA). The Acting IGP appointed two teams comprising 30 officers and men each to investigate the circumstances leading to Riyaj’s release in spite of the police headquarters previously claiming the suspect having had direct links with one of the National Thowheed Jamaat (NTJ) suicide bombers. Pending the investigation, police headquarters moved out both DIG CID Nuwan Wedasinghe and Director CID SSP Prasanna de Alwis.

The AG called for a special inquiry on covid-19 eruption while awaiting progress report on the probe on the CID. With the focus on Brandix apparel manufacturing facility at Minuwangoda where the first detection was made, The Island sought clarification from Brandix pertaining two vital matters expected to be also probed by the police.

Q: Did Brandix bring in a group of technicians from India (four or five persons), in addition to 341 Brandix workers and family members brought to Mattala in three flights? 

 A: No, as we have stated before, we did not bring in any person of Indian nationality to Sri Lanka during this time. 341 of our Sri Lankan employees who work at our facilities in Visakhapatnam, India and their families were brought back to Sri Lanka in 03 separate flights, and certificates from authorities confirming their 28-day quarantine period is available for all 341 individuals. These certificates pertaining to all passengers have been produced for verification to the relevant authorities.

 Q: The final flight was scheduled to bring in 60 persons though only 48 arrived in Mattala. Why did 12 people not come back?

 A: In early September, we had requested the necessary approvals from the Government to bring back 60 of our Sri Lankan employees and their families from our facility in Visakhapatnam, India.

While we awaited approval and confirmation of the flight for their return thereafter, 12 of our employees had agreed to stay back and continue working since the ground situation in India was improving at the time. As a result, only 48 of the 60 individuals we had originally sought approval for, arrived on the flight on 22nd September 2020. 

Meanwhile, Police spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana, who is also in charge of the Police Legal Division yesterday told Derana anchor Sanka Amarjith that the investigation called by the AG was delayed due two reasons. DIG Rohana said that in addition to some of the CCD officers contracting coronavirus, the CCD had to record statements of those affected by corona attached to Minuwangoda Brandix facility. DIG Rohana said that the inquiry though being delayed would be conducted by the CCD as directed by the Acting IGP.

 

 



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Cabinet approves construction of new 300 bed Base Hospital in Deniyaya

Published

on

By

The Cabinet of Ministers approved the resolution forwarded by the Minister of Health and Mass Media to relocate the Deniyaya Base Hospital after constructing a new hospital with a capacity of 300 beds at an estimated cost of Rupees 6,000 million.

The Southern Provincial Department of Health has acquired a plot of land in Handford estate which is approximately 03 kilometres away from the town for this purpose.

Continue Reading

News

Cabinet nod to legally empower methodology for implementing the ‘Praja Shakthi’ poverty alleviation national movement

Published

on

By

The Cabinet of Ministers granted approval for the resolution furnished by the Minister of Rural Development, Social Security and Community Empowerment to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft a bill to legally empower the implementation of ‘Praja Shakthi’ (Strength of the Community) poverty alleviation national movement

Continue Reading

News

NPP not under Indian pressure to hold PC polls – JVP

Published

on

Tilvin Silva

…preliminary work started on new Constitution

JVP General Secretary Tilvin Silva yesterday (17) maintained that the NPP government was not under Indian pressure to hold the long delayed Provincial Council elections.

The top JVP official said so appearing on Sirasa Pathikada, anchored by Asoka Dias. Tilvin Silva said that neither the devolution nor terrorism issues had been discussed during his meeting with External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar and Deputy National Security Advisor Pavan Kapoor, in New Delhi. This was Tilvin Silva’s first visit to India.

Declaring that politics hadn’t been on the agenda, the JVPer said that the Indian focus was entirely on economic development and technology.

The JVP General Secretary visited India under the Indian Council for Cultural Relations’ (ICCR) Distinguished Visitors Programme from 5-12 February 2026. General Secretary Silva was accompanied by Kitnan Selvaraj, MP, Ilankumaran Karunanathan, MP, JVP Central Committee Member Janaka Adhikari, JVP’s Media Unit Head Hemathilaka Gamage and Member of JVP’s International Relations Department Kalpana Madhubhashini. The delegation visited New Delhi, Ahmedabad and Thiruvananthapuram.

Responding to another query, Tilvin Silva said that Dr. S. Jaishankar had reiterated that India would always remain a true and trusted partner for Sri Lanka, in accordance with its ‘Neighbourhood First Policy’ and Vision ‘MAHASAGAR.’

Referring to the second JVP insurrection in the late 1980s, the JVPer claimed that they had not been against India but responded to the actions of the then Indian government.

Sri Lanka enacted the 13th Amendment to the Constitution in the wake of the Indo-Lanka peace accord of July 1987 to pave the way for Provincial Councils.

Tilvin Silva said that since they came to power, Indo-Sri Lanka relations had changed. “India has realised we could work together,” he said.

The JVP official said that preliminary work was underway, regarding the formulation of a new Constitution. The abolition of executive presidency and creation of an Office of President sans executive powers, too, would be addressed, he said, adding that the strengthening of the legislature was the other issue at hand.

Pointing out that the NPP had 2/3 majority in Parliament and could introduce a new Constitution on their own, Tilvin Silva said that they intended to obtain views of all and study the past processes in a bid to secure consensus. The JVP, as the party that campaigned against the introduction of executive presidency, way back in 1978, would lead the current effort to do away with the existing Constitution, he said.

Tilvin promised that they would implement what was in their manifesto.

The interviewer also raised the issue of abolishing the pensions for ex-Presidents. Tilvin Silva said that the Supreme Court, too, had approved the move to abolish pensions to ex-MPs. Therefore there was no issue with that, however, the ex-Presidents pensions couldn’t be done away with as they were made through the Constitution. That would be addressed when the government introduced a new Constitution in consultation with other stakeholders.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

Trending