Connect with us

News

Three Tamil Nadu districts on red alert as cyclone ‘Mandous’ maintains severe intensity

Published

on

In view of the cyclone Mandous maintaining its intensity of ‘Severe Cyclonic Storm’ till early morning hours today, three districts of Tamil Nadu were given a red alert, informed officials on Friday.

The districts that are on alert include Chengalpattu, Villupuram and Kancheepuram. “It is very likely to maintain its intensity of Severe Cyclonic Storm till early morning of today, the 9th December and then weaken gradually into a cyclonic storm thereafter. It would continue to move west-northwestwards and cross north Tamilnadu, Puducherry and adjoining south Andhra Pradesh coasts between Puducherry and Sriharikota around Mahabalipuram as a cyclonic storm with a maximum sustained wind speed of 65-75 kmph gusting to 85 kmph during midnight of today, the 09th December to early hours of 10th December,” read an official statement by India Meteorological Department.

The officials also informed that under the cyclone’s influence most places over the north coastal Tamil Nadu and Puducherry are likely to have heavy to very heavy rainfall and extremely heavy rainfall at isolated places.

Cyclone will continue to move west-northwestwards and cross north Tamilnadu, Puducherry and adjoining south Andhra Pradesh coasts b/w Puducherry and Sriharikota around Mahabalipuram as a cyclonic storm with a maximum sustained wind speed of 65-75 kmph gusting to 85 kmph during midnight, informed officials.

“It is likely to reduce to Light to moderate rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places likely over north Tamil Nadu on 10th December 2022,” added the statement.

Earlier, the Greater Chennai Corporation issued precautionary measures and ordered to close all parks and playgrounds till further notice.The Greater Chennai Corporation Commissioner had a discussion with officials regarding precautionary measures to be taken in view Mandous Cyclone. – Statesman/ANN



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Sri Lanka cricket finances ‘greater than feared’: interim chief

Published

on

Eran Wickramaratne gestures during a press conference at the Sri Lanka Cricket Board office in Colombo on May 21 (Ishara S. KODIKARA/AFP)

(AFP)Financial irregularities surrounding Sri Lankan cricket were far worse than feared, government-appointed administrators said Thursday, promising a full accounting and sweeping reforms.

“We have already ordered a forensic audit of the accounts,” Eran Wickramaratne, interim president of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), told his first news conference since taking office last month.

He said financial irregularities were “far greater than initially feared”.

He said the new SLC leadership — handpicked by the government of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake — would bring in sweeping reforms as concerns linger over international sanctions.

The current administration was appointed following the mass resignation of SLC’s elected officials last month — a move that raised fears of possible suspension by the International Cricket Council (ICC) over political interference.

The SLC, the country’s richest sports body, was suspended for two months in 2023 on similar grounds.

Wickramaratne, however, said discussions with the ICC were underway on reforming the SLC.

“Our talks with the ICC have been extremely cordial and constructive,” he said.

“We have been very open and transparent in what we are doing, and they want us to pursue open and transparent methods in doing this.”

Reforms include drafting a new constitution aimed at curbing abuses that allowed groups to retain power for a prolonged period, he added.

Four-time SLC president Shammi Silva and his entire committee stepped down in April after the government intervention, clearing the way for the current overhaul.The previous administration had also faced criticism over the national team’s performances, including an early exit from the T20 World Cup, which Sri Lanka co-hosted with India earlier this year.

Continue Reading

News

Police roll out countrywide security plan for Vesak Week

Published

on

The Police have announced a special islandwide security programme for Vesak Week to ensure the public can observe religious activities in a peaceful and secure environment, free from fear or inconvenience.

The Police Department said the measures have been introduced in view of heightened religious observances across the country during the Vesak season, with Buddhists worldwide preparing to mark Vesak Full Moon Poya Day on 30 May 2026.

Authorities said large crowds are expected at major Buddhist sites, including ancient places of worship, while Vesak lantern displays, pandals and Bhakthi Gee programmes will be held across the island.

Under the special security plan, the Inspector General of Police has directed all police stations to take steps to minimise traffic congestion and ensure public convenience in areas with high footfall.

The Police Department said enhanced day and night mobile patrols will be deployed across all divisions, alongside special security operations aimed at safeguarding public safety and protecting property during the festive period.

Authorities also warned that strict legal action will be taken against individuals or groups whose behaviour is deemed to undermine the dignity and sanctity of Vesak or cause inconvenience to devotees.

In a set of public guidelines issued for the season, the Police Department urged organisers of Dansal programmes to comply with health and safety standards and implement proper crowd management measures to prevent congestion.

The public has also been advised to refrain from behaviour deemed inappropriate for the religious season, avoid excessive noise, and ensure responsible use of loudspeakers with prior approval.

Devotees have been requested to abstain from alcohol and narcotic substances during Vesak activities, while being urged to remain vigilant against theft in crowded areas and ensure the safety of children and elderly persons.

The Police Department further encouraged the public to report emergencies via hotlines 118 and 119, and to submit relevant video footage of traffic violations or environmental offences through designated WhatsApp channels for legal action.

Authorities said the measures are aimed at ensuring that Vesak is observed in a spirit of peace, devotion and public harmony across the country.

Continue Reading

News

India, Lanka boost air power ties as IAF Chief visits Colombo

Published

on

(ANI) May 22:Marking a critical milestone in regional security cooperation, India’s Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal AP Singh, addressed the National Defence College (NDC) in Sri Lanka during his three-day visit to the island nation.

Speaking on the strategic imperative of “Air Power in the 21st Century,” the Air Chief Marshal highlighted the evolving dynamics of modern warfare and the growing necessity of robust bilateral military partnerships in the Indian Ocean Region.

The high-level interaction served as a central fixture of his three-day official visit to the island nation, aimed at anchoring the defence ties between the two neighbours.

Sharing the details in a post on X, the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka said that the Air Chief also interacted with the Commandant and the National Defence College course participants.

The Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal A P Singh visited the National Defence College, Sri Lanka on 20 May 26. He spoke on the topic ‘Air power in the 21st century’ and interacted with the Commandant and NDC course participants

Earlier on Wednesday, the High Commission shared that the Air Chief was received with a Guard of Honour at SLAF headquarters prior to formal meetings on Tuesday, prior to his call on with the Commander of SLAF.

“He also called on the Deputy Minister of Defence Maj Gen Aruna Jayasekara (Retd), and the Secretary Defence, AVM Sampath Thuyacontha (Retd). ACM A P Singh paid his respects to the IPKF martyrs by laying a wreath at the monument in Bataramulla”, the post added.

Air Chief AP Singh had arrived in Sri Lanka on an official visit from 19-21 May 26.

India and Sri Lanka have a longstanding defence partnership.

Earlier in April, the two countries reaffirmed their growing maritime partnership through the fourth edition of the bilateral diving exercise, IN-SLN DIVEX 2026, conducted at Colombo from April 21-28.

The exercise witnessed participation of the Indian Navy’s Diving Support and Submarine Rescue Vessel, INS Nireekshak, alongside diving teams from both navies- underscoring enhanced operational coordination and professional synergy, the Indian Navy said in a statement.

As India continues to deepen its military engagements with friendly nations, the multilateral military Exercise PRAGATI 2026 commenced on Wednesday at Umroi Military Station, Meghalaya, with the participation of 12 friendly nations, namely Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Seychelles, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.

Continue Reading

Trending