News
Navy seizes over 50 kg of hashish off Mannar, two arrested
The Navy, on Saturday (14), apprehended two suspects and seized more than 50 kilos of hashish during a maritime operation off the Mannar South sea area, as part of the ongoing national mission “Nation United.”
Naval personnel intercepted a dinghy carrying two sacks, suspected to contain narcotics, during the operation. The suspects, along with the dinghy and the seized consignment, were escorted to the Thalpadu jetty, in Mannar, for further action.
An expert examination conducted by the Police Narcotic Bureau confirmed that the two sacks contained a stock of hashish weighing in excess of 50kg.
The suspects, together with the dinghy and the confiscated narcotics, were subsequently handed over to the Police Narcotic Bureau for onward investigation and legal proceedings.
News
Patali: Four out of 25 low-quality coal shipments caused Rs. 1,759 mn loss
CIABOC urged to deal with NPP the way it dealt with Mahindananda, Nalin
Declaring that large-scale premeditated coal import fraud had caused massive losses, ex-Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka has urged the CIABOC (Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption) to deal with it, the way former Ministers Mahindananda Aluthgamage and Nalin Fernando were dealt with.
The Colombo High Court Trial-at-Bar sentenced Aluthgamage and former Sathosa Chairman Fernando on 29th May, 2025, for 20 and 25 years RI, respectively, for committing the offence of corruption by procuring 14,000 carrom boards and 11,000 checkers boards, through Sathosa, to distribute to schools and sports clubs selected by the Sports Ministry, and distributing them to party offices of the government during the 2015 Presidential Election, thus causing a loss of over Rs. 53 mn to the government.
Ranawaka, in a statement posted over the weekend on social media, based on documents furnished to Parliament by the CEB recently, declared that the procurement of substandard coal through an Indian company, faulted for money laundering, has so far resulted in a staggering loss of Rs 1,759 mn.
According to the former Colombo District lawmaker, the losses had been brought down to Rs 1,759 mn after the supplier compensated the government to the tune of Rs 1,037. Pointing out that the losses had been estimated at Rs. 2,796 before the supplier was fined, Ranawaka emphasised that the losses mentioned in CEB documents pertained to four shipments of inferior quality coal.
Ranawaka who had been at the forefront of anti-corruption campaigns over the years said that the government reached an agreement with the controversial supplier and so far only six of the 25 coal shipments were received. Based on the losses so far accrued due to the use of inferior quality coal at the Norochcholai Lakvijaya coal-fired power plant, Ranawaka pointed out gravity of the situation.
Commenting on the penalties imposed on the supplier, Ranawaka said that as he had secured shipments at a much lower cost-perhaps USD 30 to 40 per ton less than the usual rate, paying compensation wouldn’t have been an issue.
The former parliamentarian flayed the CIABOC for its failure to investigate the coal fraud in spite of several complaints lodged with it. Ranawaka warned that the country would have to face the consequences of using what he called low-grade coal. The damages to the plant would have to be estimated later, Ranawaka said, while underscoring the importance of using coal aligned with the plant design.
The Island received a copy of letter CEB General Manager Engineer K.S.I. Kumara sent to the Secretary to the Energy Ministry that exposed the procurement of low-quality coal.
Alleging that President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the entire cabinet of ministers should be held responsible for the procurement of low-quality products knowing the consequences, Ranawaka underscored the need to identify all those who benefited from the coal deal. The ex-lawmaker questioned the possibility of the coal deal being part of a money laundering project.
Ranawaka said that the powers that be wanted 7.5 mn electricity consumers to bear the losses resulting from the corrupt deal. Having repeatedly promised to slash electricity tariffs substantially, the government was now aiming to crease tariffs by 13.5 percent. Hapless Sri Lankans were charged higher rates at a time crude oil and gas were low in the international market, he claimed.
Ranawaka urged the public to protest while calling for an organized campaign to highlight the corruption at the highest levels of the incumbent dispensation. Ranawaka said that slapping of fines proved that coal shipments hadn’t met the stipulated specifications and all attempts by the current dispensation to shield those responsible failed.
At the onset of his statement, Ranawaka said that the government entered into this corrupt coal deal in spite of the Attorney General’s Office advising them to do away with slack procedures in place during the economic crisis.
Following a recent visit to the power stations, former UNP Deputy Minister Ajith P. Perera, who is also a member of the Constitutional Council eclared that the coal scam had been confirmed. “The biggest tender under the NPP government is corrupt,” the attorney-at-law alleged.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
News
Cardinal warns of ‘epidemic’ breakdown of family life in Lanka
The Archbishop of Colombo, Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, has voiced concern over what he describes as the growing disintegration of family structures in Sri Lanka, warning that the erosion of marriage poses a serious threat to society.
Addressing devotees at the annual feast of Our Lady of Lourdes Church, in Kalutara, on Saturday, the Cardinal said the collapse of family life in the country was spreading “like a dangerous epidemic.”
Emphasising that the family was the smallest unit of society, he noted that the strength of the broader community depends on the stability of the home.
“The greatest destruction of our time is the systematic breakdown of family life,” Cardinal Ranjith said. “In Sri Lanka today, this has spread like a dangerous epidemic. Many young couples enter marriage driven only by emotions, appearances, attraction, or momentary happiness, and soon abandon it without meaning. Marital life has become a game for many, devoid of any real purpose.”
The prelate stressed that marriage forms the foundation of society and that a successful marital relationship leads to a stable and thriving family. According to the teachings of the Catholic Church, he added, a strong and faithful family life was essential not only for a healthy society but also for the Church to function as a spiritually vibrant institution.
News
Three suspects arrested in double murder of lawyer and wife in Thalangama
Three main suspects have been taken into custody in connection with the shooting and murder of lawyer Buddhika Mallawarachchi and his wife Nisansala Mallawarachchi in front of a supermarket at Akuregoda, in Thalangama, police said.
The suspects allegedly supplied the T-56 rifle and pistol used in the attack to the hired killers, reportedly under the coordination of the brother of the underworld figure known as Modara Nipun.
Police discovered the vehicle, used by the assassins, set ablaze on Saturday night (14) at Agaliyamulkada, in Baddegama. Ten police teams, including the CID and special task force, are conducting investigations into this high-profile double murder.
Preliminary inquiries indicate that the killing was orchestrated by an organised gang under the direction of underworld leader Karandeniye Sudda, also known as Jayalath de Silva. The lawyer, who had represented several cases on behalf of Karandeniye Sudda and reportedly provided information to a rival known as Lokupeti, is believed to have been targeted for this reason.
The attack occurred on 13 February around 5:00 pm. The couple had returned to their vehicle after visiting the supermarket when a group of hired assassins blocked their car from another vehicle and opened fire. Two gunmen fired approximately 15 shots from a T-56 rifle and a pistol, killing the lawyer and his wife instantly before fleeing. Investigators say the assailants escaped via Homagama, Pothuarawa, Athurugiriya, Kottawa, and Makumbura.
Buddhika Mallawarachchi, a resident of Pitigala, Galle, lived with his wife in the Poré area of Athurugiriya. Investigations reveal that he had represented several underworld figures, including on the day of the attack for a case linked to the Club Wasantha murder incident.
Police reports indicate that Karandeniye Sudda, a fugitive from both law enforcement and the military, remains abroad while allegedly continuing to direct criminal operations in Sri Lanka.
The Bar Association has issued a statement strongly condemning the murders and said it is discussing next steps to address the incident.
The ongoing investigation is under the direct supervision of IGP Priyantha Weerasuriya, with oversight from Western Province Senior DIG Sanjeewa Madawatta, DIG Samantha Wijesekara, and SSP Mangala Dehideniya.
by Norman Palihawadana and Hemantha Randunu
-
Life style1 day agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Midweek Review5 days agoA question of national pride
-
Business5 days agoAutodoc 360 relocates to reinforce commitment to premium auto care
-
Features1 day agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Opinion4 days agoWill computers ever be intelligent?
-
Features1 day agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features1 day agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
Midweek Review5 days agoTheatre and Anthropocentrism in the age of Climate Emergency
