Connect with us

News

Opposition to move no-faith motion against PM Amarasuriya

Published

on

Dr. Harini Amarasuriya

The Opposition yesterday (07) began collecting signatures for a motion of no confidence against Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, over the inclusion of a link to an adult content website, in the Grade 06 English language textbook.

The signing of the no-faith motion commenced at the Opposition Leader’s Office at the Parliamentary complex with Opposition and SJB Leader Sajith Premadasa, placing the first signature on the motion.

Party sources said that key opposition parties, including the SJB, had reached a consensus to proceed with the initiative and were planning to submit the motion to the Speaker within the week.

Opposition MPs argue that the inclusion of an inappropriate web link in the Grade 6 English module, along with broader shortcomings in the education reform process, formed the basis of the no-confidence motion. Premadasa has described the incident as a violation of children’s rights, warning that it reflected serious lapses in oversight and accountability.

Addressing Parliament amidst the growing criticism, Dr. Amarasuriya said the disputed Grade 6 English module had not reached schoolchildren and its distribution had been halted immediately after the error was detected. She said an investigation had been launched without delay to determine how the mistake occurred, at what stage it was introduced, and who was responsible.

The Prime Minister assured the House that disciplinary or legal action would follow once accountability was clearly established. She said the National Education Commission operated under its own regulatory framework and that the inquiry was being conducted in accordance with procedures laid down by the relevant council appointed to examine the matter.

“Our intention is not to hide facts, but to understand why this happened and to ensure it does not happen again,” she said, stressing the government’s commitment to transparency and accountability in the education sector.

Dr. Amarasuriya said Grade 6 students are scheduled to receive their learning modules on January 21, while textbooks for Grade 1 students were due to be distributed by January 29. She noted that authorities were working to complete all revisions and approvals before those dates so that students receive only properly vetted materials.

The Prime Minister urged the public not to judge the entire reform programme based on a single incident, arguing that education reforms should be assessed on their long-term goals rather than isolated mistakes. “This incident should not be used to undermine education reforms,” she said, adding that student welfare remains the government’s top priority.

She also told Parliament that the controversial lesson had been formally removed following a recommendation by the academic advisory board of the National Institute of Education (NIE).

She said that the activity highlighted in the Grade 6 English module was a reading comprehension exercise involving hypothetical characters and did not require students to provide personal information. “It is simply a reading task, not a data collection exercise,” she said.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

President inquires into the well-being of soldiers at the Ragama “Ranaviru Sevana”

Published

on

By

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake visited the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre in Ragama this morning (19) and inquired into the well-being of military personnel receiving residential treatment there.

During the visit, the President engaged in cordial discussions with the soldiers and commended the sacrifices made by all of them in safeguarding the unity of the motherland.

Thereafter, President Dissanayake also held discussions with the medical staff, including doctors serving at the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre, and looked into the possibility of further improving medical and other welfare facilities available for the military personnel undergoing treatment.

Minister of Science and Technology Professor Chrishantha Abeysena, Deputy Minister of Labour Mahinda Jayasinghe, Secretary to the Ministry of Defence Air Vice Marshal Sampath Thuyacontha (Retired), Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Lasantha Rodrigo, Director of Ranaviru Services and Rehabilitation of the Sri Lanka Army Brigadier R.G.L.K. Weerakoon, and Chairman of the Ranaviru Seva Authority Brigadier Senarath Kohona (Retired) were among those who attended the occasion.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

Trending