Sports
ICC suspends USA Cricket board
The ICC has finally decided to suspend USA Cricket (USAC), in the process hitting the reset button as it attempts to overhaul the leadership and governance structure of the sport in a key market. The decision was taken by the ICC Board after a virtual meeting on Tuesday. USAC’s suspension will not impact the national team’s participation in the T20 World Cup starting in February in India and Sri Lanka or the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games.
The suspension comes just over two months after the ICC, at its annual general meeting in July, had granted USAC three months to hold “free and fair elections” and carry out “comprehensive” governance reforms. At the time, the ICC reiterated that USAC would continue to remain “on notice”, as it has been since July 2024. The ICC Board also warned USAC that it reserved the right to take any action it deemed fit based on the progress of reforms.
Eventually, on Tuesday evening, the ICC suspended USAC with “immediate effect” and temporarily took over “management and administration of USA national teams.”
The decision, taken by the ICC Board during its meeting earlier, was based on USA Cricket’s repeated and continued breaches of its obligations as an ICC Member under the ICC’s Constitution,” an ICC press release said. “These include, but are not limited to, the failure to implement a functional governance structure, lack of progress toward achieving National Governing Body status with the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC), and significant actions that have caused reputational damage to cricket in the United States and around the world.”
The suspension does not have an immediate impact on cricket being part of the LA 2028 Games. The ICC clarified that USA teams will still be able to participate in ICC events as well as make preparations for the Olympics. Calling it “unfortunate but necessary” the ICC said it was forced to take such extreme action to “protect the long-term interests of the game and the ICC’s top priority remains ensuring that the athletes and the sport itself are not impacted due to the suspension.”
During the time USAC had been put on notice, the ICC had been working with it to draw a “roadmap” and facilitate its securing national governing body (NGB) status from the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC). This is mandatory for all sports that were added to LA28 Games. As hosts, USA are expected to be one of the six teams to contest for medals in both men’s and women’s categories.
That roadmap, which comprises six steps, was drawn by the ICC’s Normalisation Committee, headed by chairman Jay Shah. Prior to that, the committee met USAC top brass Venu Pisike (chairman) and Johnathan Atkeison (CEO) twice – first in April virtually and then in person in June. The roadmap called for USAC to start an organisational revamp by bringing in three new independent directors to replace the incumbents on the Board. Following that the USAC Board would step down and prompt fresh elections. At this point USAC would apply for NGB status.
Simultaneously, the ICC also said a comprehensive review and reform of the USA Cricket Constitution “shall be undertaken” in close consultation with the Independent Directors and relevant ICC stakeholders. With USAC unable to meet these terms, it was suspended.
USAC was being considered for suspension at the ICC’s AGM in July and only managed its three-month reprieve by making “commitments” to the ICC Board to meet the criteria required for membership.
“When USAC was notified of the AGM’s decision,” the ICC press release said, “it was specifically advised in writing that, along with fulfilling the commitments it made to the Board and taking immediate steps in that respect, it must (i) not do/omit to do anything that might jeopardise cricket’s inclusion in the Olympics, and (ii) not do anything (by act or omission) that brings cricket or the ICC into disrepute or is contrary to the best interests of cricket or the ICC.”
For USAC to lift its suspension, it will need to follow procedure that the Normalisation Committee, in coordination with the ICC management, will outline and which “will include demonstrable and specific changes to USA Cricket’s governance structure, operations and overall status in the Cricket ecosystem. The normalisation committee will also monitor USA Cricket’s progress and provide consultatory support.
“The ICC remains committed to supporting the growth of cricket in the United States, protect the sporting ecosystem and its constituents, namely the athletes and bolstering its march towards a more significant role on the global stage.”
(Cricinfo)
Latest News
Gujarat Titans knock out Chennai Super Kings and seal top-two finish
Chennai Super King’s (CSK) slim playoff hopes were crushed emphatically by Gujarat Titans [GT] in Ahmedabad on Thursday night as they sealed a top-two spot with an 89-run win.
Sent in to bat on a red-soil surface with pace and bounce, GT went all-in to post 229. Shubman Gill’s 23-ball half-century set it up for late fireworks from B Sai Sudarshan (84 off 53) and Jos Buttler (57 not out off 27).
In reply, CSK’s top five perished inside eight overs before Shivam Dube tonked 47 off 17 to briefly inject life into the chase. His dismissal left the door ajar for GT to knock over the lower order, which they did courtesy Rashid Khan to bowl CSK out in the 14th over.
In the game’s second over, Sanju Samson left the field to nurse a finger injury after Spencer Johnson’s hard-length delivery down the leg side suddenly swerved away after passing the batter. He left the field immediately, and didn’t return for the rest of the innings with Kartik Sharma taking over the wicketkeeping duties. The nature of his on-field injury meant Samson could return to bat in his original position, but he lasted all of one ball, nicking a Mohammed Siraj away-swinger in the very first over.
Having taken a wicket off the first ball in GT’s defense of 230, Siraj then saw Ruturaj Gaikwad loft him through the line over the covers, and then walk across to scoop him for six. In his next over, he saw the CSK captain whip him nonchalantly over the midwicket fence. Siraj, though, remained unperturbed and removed him with a length ball that ducked back in to crash into the stumps. One ball later, he silenced the home fans rooting for local hero Urvil Patel by having him top-edge a flick straight down Prasidh Krishna’s throat at deep backward square leg.
At the start of the ninth, CSK were 72 for 5. It took Dube all of two overs to get the fans excited. Having endured a poor season, he began by thumping left-arm seamer Arshad Khan for 6, 4 and 4 in an over that went for 19. He went into overdrive in the next, thumping Jason Holder’s hard-length delivery over long-on for six. And when Holder went full, Dube’s long levers helped scythe the ball behind square. Overs 8-10 fetched 37. But one ball after launching Rashid over deep midwicket, Dube was out to him when Gill, running back from cover, pulled off a stunner. CSK lost their last four wickets in the next three overs, with Rashid finishing with 3 for 18.
Long before his catching brilliance and the direct hit to run out Kartik, Gill began like a bullet train, surging to a 23-ball half-century to lay down the marker, even as Sai Sudharsan buckled down to play second fiddle. He was run-a-ball for his first 22 deliveries en route to a seventh century stand with Gill – the most by an opening pair in the IPL.
Gill survived on 51 despite feathering an attempted pull with none of the opposition appealing for caught behind. But it didn’t cost CSK a lot as he fell soon after for 64. Once Gill perished, Sai Sudharsan carried on to bring up his fifth consecutive IPL fifty – joining Virender Sehwag, David Warner and Buttler to this feat.
Sudharsan would eventually fall for 84, along the way surpassing Vaibhav Sooryavanshi’s tally to take back the Orange Cap.
Buttler, who came in after Gill’s wicket, launched into the bowling from the get-go. He took particular liking to Noor Ahmad, depositing him deep into the stands to quickly offset a brief slowdown. Amid the carnage from one end, left-arm seamer Gurjanpreet Singh held away, mixing his cutters with wide yorkers to finish with 4-0-31-0, the figures taking a dent only because his final over went for 15.
Buttler too got to his half-century off 23 balls when he scythed two attempted wide yorkers from Anshul Kamboj to the cover boundary. Kamboj went for 56 off his four overs, along the way conceding the most sixes in a single IPL season. It left CSK needing a mammoth 230, which they never looked like challenging on the night.
Brief scores:
Gujarat Titans 229 for 4 in 20 overs (Sai Sudharsan 84, Shubman GIll 64, Jos Buttler 57*; Mukesh Choudhary 1-36, Spence Johnson 1-47, Anshul Kamboj 1-56) beat Chennai Super Kings 140 in 13.4 overs (Mathew Short 24, Rutraj Gaikwad 16, Kartik Sharma 19, Shivam Dube 47, Anshul Kamboj 19; Rashid Khan 3-18, Mohammed Siraj 3-26, Kagiso Rabada 3-32) by 89 runs
[Cricinfo]
Sports
Brandix Apparell clash with Maliban Biscuits for the ‘Honda Trophy’ on Sunday
15TH STAFFORD MOTORS – MCA G DIVISION T20 LEAGUE CRICKET TOURNAMENT
Brandix Apparel and Maliban Biscuits two undefeated teams will clash in the final of the Stafford Motors sponsored MCA G Division cricket tournament final to be played at the MCA ground on Sunday [24] morning. The winners will remain undefeated and take home the ‘Honda Trophy’.
In the league stage Brandix Apparel playing in group G defeated Millenium IT ESP by 61 runs, Stafford Motors by 60 runs and Sitecore by 7 wickets to qualify for the knock out stage. The game against Coats Thread Exports was not played as the result wouldn’t have changed the group’s rankings. In the knockout stage Brandix defeated Pyramid Wilmar by 12 runs in the pre-quarter final, Future Life Holdings by 72 runs in the quarter final and Stafford Motors by 70 runs in the semifinal to reach the final undefeated.
Maliban Biscuits ‘B’ playing in Group A in the league stage, defeated WSO2 by 8 wickets, Sysco Labs by 6 wickets, Jetwing Travels by 136 runs, Hayleys Group ‘C’ by 9 wickets and CDB ‘B’ by 4 wickets to reach the knockout stage. Maliban beat Fairfirst Insurance by 7 wickets in the pre-quarter final, Allianz Insurance by 4 wickets in the quarter final and Star Garments by 3 wickets to reach the final undefeated.
Brandix Apparell led by Tharaka Sampath Silva will be selected from, Janaka Weerapokuna, Pradeep Kumara , Shashika Udesh, Dayan Idunil, Lakshan Fernando, Sasitha Ashan, Akila Dhanuddhra, Dulaj Silva [WK], Sampath Jayalath, Kalpa Udesh, Pasal wickrasingha, Sameera Alvise, Dinusha Nishan, Nirmal Fernando, Dinesh Priyankara
Maliban Biscuits ‘B’ led by Tharindu Siriwardene will be selected from Gihan Ranasinghe [WK], Anjula Perera, Chamara Rathnayake, Dilan Alwis, Dilip Sandaruwan, Chathuranga Dewapriya, Mohomed Shilmi, Sameera Lakmal, Dilantha Sanjeewa, Nadun Kumara, Tharindu Fernando, Asiri Samarasinghe, Kelum Madushanka, Aruna Nuwan
Stafford Motors and Star Garments vie for third place
Sponsors Stafford Motors and Star Garments , the two teams that were unfortunate not to reach the finals, will battle it out on Sunday afternoon in the playoff for third place.
The Stafford Motors team led by Shanaka Sampath will be selected from Dhammika Kumara, Vishwa Rajapaksha, Sanjaya Fernando, Sanjeewa Vishan, JanithnSilva, Vihanga Malith, Nethum Manawaduge, Dulshan Attanayake, Annesley Perera, Venura Nisalitha, Ravindra Lal, K A Samantha, Lakshan Fernando, Asanka Kumarage, Gajindu Yasas [WK]
Star Garments led by Rishantha Anushka will be selected from Shakila Dulshan [WK], Randu Nawanjaya Fernando, Nadeesha Akash, Suwahas Yapa, Yohan Dewapriya, . Dunik Perera, Sanjaya Mihiran, Dhanuka Dulanja, Chathuranga Dilshan, Niranjan Fernando, Ganidu Charulochana, Sudesh Wilhara, Thushara Appuhami, Nadun Wijenayake
Sports
Manyuga six-for powers Rahula to easy win
Paceman Hirun Manyuga produced a devastating spell to claim six wickets as Rahula, Matara bundled out St. Thomas’, Matara for just 69 runs before cruising to a seven-wicket victory in their Under 17 Division I cricket tournament match played at Uyanwatta Stadium on Thursday.
Manyuga spearheaded the bowling attack with a match-defining six-wicket haul to put Rahula firmly in control after St. Thomas’ struggled against disciplined bowling. He received fine support from Pawan Dulsara and Jineth Methmira, who chipped in with two wickets apiece to complete the collapse.
Rahula made light work of the modest target, with Manyuga capping a fine all-round performance by top scoring in the run chase with an unbeaten 26 runs to guide his team to victory in convincing fashion. His impressive bowling figures read 7.3-1-19-6.
At Campbell Place in Colombo, Dunal Sendanayaka produced a match-winning unbeaten innings as Nalanda recorded an impressive six-wicket victory over St. Joseph’s in their opening Group match of the Under-17 Division I Cricket Tournament.
Chasing a revised DLS target of 125 runs, Nalanda reached the target comfortably, with seven overs to spare, thanks largely to an outstanding knock by Sendanayaka.
The Nalanda batsman stood firm after the visitors made early inroads, reducing the home side to 26 for two wickets. Sendanayaka then combined effectively with Hasarel Rabel to produce a decisive 81-run partnership for the third wicket, which turned the contest firmly in Nalanda’s favour.
Sendanayaka remained unbeaten on a superb 74 off 80 deliveries, striking six boundaries and three sixes in a commanding innings. Rabel provided solid support with a patient 31 runs off 64 balls. For St. Joseph’s, Thisanga Perera was the most successful bowler, claiming two wickets for 16 runs.
Earlier, after being put into bat, St. Joseph’s struggled to build momentum as wickets fell at regular intervals. Useful contributions from Lesandu Wijethunga (23) and Disinu Samarasinghe (24) helped the visitors post 122 all out in 34 overs.
Nalanda’s bowling effort was spearheaded by left-arm spinners Umasha Abhilash and Binulka Mansith, who claimed three wickets apiece to restrict the Josephians to a modest total. Vidun Gamage also chipped in with two wickets.
Scores
St. Joseph’s
122 all out in 34 overs (Lesandu Wijethunga 23, Disinu Samarasinghe 24; Vidun Gamage 2/40, Umasha Abhilash 3/30, Binulka Mansith 3/04)
Nalanda
128 for 4 in 29.2 overs (Dunal Sendanayaka 74n.o., Hasarel Rabel 31; Thisanga Perera 2/16)
Meanwhile at BRC ground, Ananda Sastralaya Kotte pulled off an exciting two wicketa victory over Lumbini. (RF)
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case

