Connect with us

News

Indian fishing fleet expands poaching : Two boats apprehended off Puttalam and Mannar north

Published

on

Boats apprehended on Monday (pictures courtesy Navy media)

In spite of continuing Sri Lankan protests, Indian fishing fleet is expanding poaching. According to Navy Headquarters, of the two poaching boats apprehended on Monday (28) one was positioned off Baththalangunduwa, a small island located off the northwest coast in the Puttalam District.

A senior official said that during operations conducted on 28 July, the Navy apprehended two Indian fishing boats along with 14 fishers off Baththalangunduwa and north of Mannar.

The official alleged that harmful fishing practices employed by Indians impacted on the livelihood of local fishermen. “We’ll continue to conduct regular patrols and operations in our waters to curb illegal fishing practices of foreign fishing boats trespassing into island waters”, he said.

The arrests were made by patrol boats after a chase of the poaching vessels.

The apprehended boats and fishermen were brought to Kalpitiya (those taken in off Baththalangunduwa) and Talaimannar Pier and handed over to the Assistant Directorate of Fisheries, Mannar and Puttalam for legal proceedings.

The official said that in early July the Navy rescued four Indian fishermen from a distressed fishing boat in the seas off Chilaw.

SLN deployed patrol boats to search for the boat after receiving information from the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) Colombo regarding the missing Indian boat.

The MRCC Mumbai, India, had alerted Colombo about an Indian fishing boat that went missing without any communication link on 29 June, due to severe weather conditions.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

President inquires into the well-being of soldiers at the Ragama “Ranaviru Sevana”

Published

on

By

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake visited the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre in Ragama this morning (19) and inquired into the well-being of military personnel receiving residential treatment there.

During the visit, the President engaged in cordial discussions with the soldiers and commended the sacrifices made by all of them in safeguarding the unity of the motherland.

Thereafter, President Dissanayake also held discussions with the medical staff, including doctors serving at the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre, and looked into the possibility of further improving medical and other welfare facilities available for the military personnel undergoing treatment.

Minister of Science and Technology Professor Chrishantha Abeysena, Deputy Minister of Labour Mahinda Jayasinghe, Secretary to the Ministry of Defence Air Vice Marshal Sampath Thuyacontha (Retired), Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Lasantha Rodrigo, Director of Ranaviru Services and Rehabilitation of the Sri Lanka Army Brigadier R.G.L.K. Weerakoon, and Chairman of the Ranaviru Seva Authority Brigadier Senarath Kohona (Retired) were among those who attended the occasion.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

Trending