Connect with us

Sports

Sri Lanka face in-form hosts in last bid to keep World Cup qualification hopes alive

Published

on

Sri Lanka need a win to hold on to any hopes of direct qualification for the World Cup

While the rained out second ODI in Christchurch would have no doubt been frustrating for both sets of players, the fact remains that its impact on the grander scheme of things was rather minimal – at least in terms of the World Cup Super League.

Having shared the points, and despite Sri Lanka also being docked a Super League point for a slow over-rate in the first ODI, the equation nevertheless remains the same for the visitors; win the game on Friday and force South Africa and Ireland to win their remaining games this World Cup cycle. Indeed, if both slip up, as improbable as it may be, Sri Lanka might just sneak into the final automatic qualification spots.

But to even entertain that distant notion Sri Lanka must first go out and beat New Zealand in Hamilton – a ground where the hosts have won 10 of their last 12 completed ODIs dating back to 2014. Sri Lanka, though in fairness, are one of the two sides to have beaten the hosts during that period. But of course, that was a far more vintage Sri Lankan line-up with a top order stacked with modern-day greats such as Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene.

This present Sri Lankan outfit doesn’t quite boast the same pedigree, even if Angelo Mathews remains a tether between the two, but it’s by no means a poor one – they have in fact beaten both Australia and South Africa, albeit at home, in recent times – so facing off against a New Zealand team shorn of several of its first choice players should have in theory made for some quite competitive cricket, home or away. Which is what made the outcome of that first, tremendously one-sided ODI so jarring.

It’s been nearly a week since then, and the washed-out second match would have no doubt given the visitors an extra couple of days to stew over that abysmal performance in Auckland.

Going into the series decider New Zealand will once more be fielding a bunch of players pushing hard for World Cup spots. As for Sri Lanka, what they’ve brought recently hasn’t been anywhere near good enough. Qualification may be out of their hands too, but it would be nice if they at least gave themselves a shot at it.

He has had to bide his time, but at 30 years of age Chad Bowes finally made his long-awaited international bow in the first ODI. And while his stay at the crease might have been brief, it gave the sense of a man at ease with his game. That said, his primary position is at the top of the order – an area admittedly not top of the hosts’ pre-World Cup priorities. But with plenty of white-ball cricket ahead of the tournament, a trademark Bowes barrage on Friday certainly wouldn’t hurt his chances of settling in the selectors’ thoughts.

It wouldn’t be unfair to say that Dhananjaya de Silva has flattered to deceive throughout his career. In Tests, 3006 runs at an average of 38.53 hints at unfulfilled potential. In T20Is, he’s proven to be a handy allrounder with his speedy offbreaks – though it says something when it’s his bowling rather than batting that tends to be the key factor in his inclusion. His worst format is then arguably ODIs, where he strikes at just 78 and averages 26.28. Nevertheless his omission from the first one-dayer caused a minor social media furore, illustrating how highly he is regarded despite his shortcomings. If Sri Lanka are to build a successful head of steam leading to the World Cup, Dhananjaya – among others – will need to start living up to the hype.

New Zealand (probable):

Henry Nicholls, Chad Bowes, Will Young, Daryl Mitchell, Tom Latham (capt, wk), Mark Chapman, Rachin Ravindra, Henry Shipley, Matt Henry, Ish Sodhi, Blair Tickner

Sri Lanka (possible):

Pathum Nissanka, Nuwanidu Fernando, Kusal Mendis (wk), Angelo Mathews, Charith Asalanka, Dasun Shanaka (capt), Dhananjaya de Silva, Chamika Karunaratne, Wanindu Hasaranga, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara.



Latest News

Alice Capsey 74 not out blazes trail in seven-wicket England win

Published

on

By

Alice Capsey acknowledges her fifty [Cricinfo]

England started the final phase of their World Cup preparations with a convincing seven-wicket win in the first T20I against New Zealand as Alice Capsey embraced her role at the top of the order with a fine half-century.

Batting in unfamiliar territory as an opener, Capsey took control in England’s pursuit of a modest target of 137 with a 51-ball 74 not out in which she cut, drove and at times muscled her way to three sixes and seven fours, seeing her side home with 16 balls to spare.

Playing their first T20I for 10 months and missing captain Nat Sciver-Brunt to a calf injury, England were sharper in the field and their bowlers were on top from the start, from Lauren Bell’s wicket with the first ball of the match to Linsey Smith’s excellent figures of 1 for 10 from four overs including 15 dot balls.

Freya Kemp bowled for the first time in nearly 16 months as she increases her workloads following a back injury ahead of the T20 World Cup, with two wicketless overs conceding 16 runs, and she later supported Capsey with an unbeaten 31 off 20 balls. Charlie Dean, standing in for Sciver-Brunt as captain, as she did during the drawn ODI series, also took two wickets.

Collectively they tied down the reigning T20 world champions, who apart from Sophie Devine’s 22-ball 45 and a late 36-run stand off 33 balls for the sixth wicket between Maddy Green and Izzy Sharp, couldn’t get going. Suzie Bates dropped to No. 9 as the White Ferns continue to plan for life beyond her retirement after the T20 World Cup. But she didn’t get a chance to bat as Jess Kerr was run out off the last ball of the innings with her side 136 for 7.

With Danni Wyatt-Hodge on leave for the birth of her first child, Capsey was promoted from No. 3 and it was regular opener Sophia Dunkley who fell first, looping a Jess Kerr delivery to Sharp at point. Capsey settled nicely, bookending a thumping six over long-on with fours off Jess Kerr’s third over.

Bree Illing flattened Maia Bouchier’s middle stump to put England at 39 for 2 at the end of the powerplay but Capsey was in fine touch. She picked the gaps perfectly and even when she didn’t her shots had enough on them to beat the fielders. She brought up England’s fifty with a backward cut through short third, where Illing was stationed but couldn’t stop it. She moved to 49 with an authoritative cut for four off Illing and brought up her half-century off 43 deliveries two balls later with a single smacked past the bowler. Fittingly, Capsey raised the winning runs with back-to-back fours.

Bell, the sole specialist seamer in England’s XI, struck first ball, nailing her length just outside off as Georgia Plimmer chopped onto middle stump. Left-arm spinner Smith had a typically strong start to the powerplay, with a maiden first up. Then, with the first ball of the next over, she picked up the big wicket of Melie Kerr, who tried to clear mid-off only to find the towering Bell stretching to take a sharp overhead catch.

Izzy Gaze had come in at the top of the order instead of Bates, as was the case during New Zealand’s home series with South Africa in March. But Dean put an end to that piece of future-proofing when she bowled Gaze for 12 off 19 trying to break the shackles by advancing down the pitch, the ball turning just enough to slide under the swing and clip the top of middle and leg.

<h2 Devine started her final tour of England in vintage style, reminding onlookers of what they will be missing when she retires after next month’s T20 World Cup. She spent the final over of the powerplay, Sophie Ecclestone’s first, smoking the ball for three sixes over the leg-side boundary, which had been brought in considerably but needn’t have been, such was Devine’s power and timing.</h2

Devine hit back-to-back fours off Kemp, bowling for the first time since the Ashes in January 2025. Devine was lucky to get away with the second, smashed down the ground, but while Dani Gibson did well to get a hand to it running round from deep midwicket, she couldn’t hold on. Another maximum for Devine, off Dean this time, had her on 40 off just 18 but Gibson bowled her soon after with one that stayed low and clipped the bails.

Brief scores:
England Women 140 for 3 in 17.2 overs (Alice Capsey 74*, Heather Knight 19, Freya Kemp 31*; Jess Kerr 1-46, Bree Illing 2-19) beat New Zealand Women 136 for 7 in 20 overs (Isabella Gaze 12, Sophie Devine 45, Brooke Halliday 14, Maddy Green 23, Izzy Sharp 26*; Lauren  Bell 2-23, Linsey Smith 1-10, Dani Gibson 1-21, Charlie Deen 2-29) by seven wickets

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Kolkata Knight Riders keep their IPL campaign alive with low-scoring win

Published

on

By

Manish Pandey's 45 took KKR 30 runs away from the target [Cricinfo]

Kolkata Khnight Riders kept alive their hopes of an unlikely playoff spot with their sixth win in their last seven games after having stayed winless in the first six. Their tall seamers Cameron Green and Saurabh Dubey took out two Mumbai Indians batters each in the powerplay before their spin twins turned the screw in on a pitch with both seam movement and turn.

Chasing 148, KKR lost three wickets early, but a couple of 40s from Manish Pandey and Rovman Powell were enough to break the back of the chase. KKR still needed to win their last match against Delhi Capitals and hope two other results go their way, but the win kept their dream alive for at least one more night.

KKR have been the second-stingiest side of the tournament, but they haven’t been especially quick with their wicket-taking. Not even once had they taken more than two wickets in the powerplay coming into this match. Then they won the toss on a pitch that had stayed under covers because of rains and chose to unleash their tall quicks, but not before the almost customary first over from left-arm spinner Anukul Roy.

Immediately both drew some seam movement and some extra bounce. Stifled after first two overs went for just 10, both Ryan Rickelton and Rohit Sharma tried big hits. Rohit launched one into the stands, but Rickelton skied one for Pandey to take his second excellent catch of the season at backward point, this time controlling the swirling ball. Green then went past the outside edge of Naman Dhir two balls in a row before kissing the edge with an outswinger to send him back for a three-ball duck.

Green was in action in the next over, running back and to his right for 33 metres to take over his shoulder a skier from Rohit. The ball was full enough, but there was some seam and some extra bounce to take the big edge. Suryakumar Yadav made perhaps his best start of this IPL, but then Dubey went round the wicket to cramp him up with some seam movement back in and had him playing on for 15 off six balls.

On either side of a one-hour rain break, Tilak Varma and Hardik Pandya combined for the worst strike rate for Nos 5 and 6 in an IPL innings when both played at least 20 balls. It wasn’t for want of trying. Sunil Narine and a hobbling Varun Chakravarthy were just too good on a surface with turn available for them. Varun nearly got Tilak caught and bowled but was put off by the wicketkeeper Angkrish Raghuvanshi charging towards him. The catch went down, and Raghuvanshi ended up with a concussion.

However, it didn’t hurt KKR too much as Kartik Tyagi had Tilak caught on the pull despite only a 59-metre boundary to clear. Narine was not to be denied for long as he zipped through Hardik to get him out for the first time in T20 cricket, bowled middle stump.

Will Jacks ran himself out trying to steal a second having hit straight to Rinku Singh at deep cover, but Corbin Bosch’s 32 off 18 took MI to 147.

Finn Allen made a threatening start, crashing Deepak Chahar through square cover for two fours, but then he ended the over playing Chahar on. Then we had a rare partnership. Jasprit Bumrah, only three wickets to his name this IPL, had never taken the wicket of either Ajinkya Rahane or Pandey despite bowling more than 40 balls to each. Forget the wicket, the duo caressed him for three fours in his first over.

The inconsistent Bosch, though, somehow kept MI in the hunt with the wickets of Rahane and Green. The delivery to Rahane was a beautiful length ball that seamed away and bounced extra, but it came after an ordinary start of nine off the first three balls. Then he had Green hitting a ball drifting down leg straight down the throat of long leg.At 54 for 3 in 7.1 overs, missing Raghuvanshi, KKR were in a bit of jeopardy, but the asking rate wasn’t alarming and there was appreciable amount of dew hampering the bowlers. On top of that, Bosch bowled the first ball to Powell down leg, which he deposited deep into the stands. Pandey’s touch play and Powell’s power constantly kept running away from MI only to be helped along the way by fielding errors.

Hardik drew a top edge from Powell, but this was Chahar’s turn to be put off at fine leg by deep square leg running towards him should there be a rebound to be taken. In the end, neither went for the catch. In the next over, Bosch wrong-footed himself at slip as Powell went for a hard cut off Raghu Sharma.

Bumrah had his own back with a beauty to burst through the gap between Pandey’s bat and pad, getting 1.8-degree seam movement with a 15-over-old ball, but KKR now needed only 30 off 30. And even though Bosch took a stunner at backward point to send Powell back, Rinku and Roy saw the nervy chase through with seven balls to spare.

Brief scores:
Kolkata Knight Riders 148 for 6 in 18.5 overs (Ajinkya Rahane 21, Manish Pandey 45, Rovman Powell 40, Tejasvi Dahiya 11; Deepak Chahar 1-23, Jasprit Bumrah 1-26, Corbin Bosch 3-30, AM Ghazanfar 1-25) beat Mumbai Indians 147 for 8 in 20 overs (Rohit Sharma 15, Suryakumar Yadav 15, Tilak Varma 20, Hardik Pandya 26, Will Jacks 14, Corbin Bosch 32*, Deepak Chahar 10;  Cameron Green 2-23, Saurabh Dubey 2-34, Kartik Tyagi 2-37, Sunil Narine 1-13)  by four wickets

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Sports

WPBA Novices Team Badminton Championship from 13-21 June

Published

on

Brian Gomez (Director Sales Elite Shuttler) hands over the sponsorship to Mohan Wijesinghe (President WPBA, Vice President SLB) and Gamini de Silva ( Vice President WPBA and Chairman Tournament Committee). Also in the picture are (from left) Amanda Weerasinghe (Vice Patron WPBA), Niluka Karunarathna (Vice President WPBA, Chairman Sport Development and Funding, Former Olympic/National Player), Roshan Gunawardana (President SLB), Rajpal Salgado (Secretary WPBA), Lalith Perera (Vice President WPBA, Chairman Coaching and Development WPBA), Ajith Fernando (Tournament Secretary WPBA), Rakitha Jayathilaka (Gampaha District Coordinator WPBA)

The Western Province Badminton Association (WPBA) will conduct an all-island school age Novices (non top10 rank) Team Championship, for boys and girls in the under 13, under 15 and under 17 age categories at the St. Thomas Indoor Stadium, Mount Lavinia and Mercantile Badminton Trust Badminton Stadium at Malalasekera Mawatha from 13th to 21st June 2026.

The championship will be a great opportunity for new players forming teams who have yet to play beyond a quarter final match in a ranking tournament.

The championship is open to teams from other provinces as well and the entry fee per team is Rs. 10,000. All participants will receive certificates while the winners will receive cash awards, trophies and medals.

Continue Reading

Trending